Home Autographs Forum
Options

Newbie question

Can someone explain the difference between PSA/DNA and grading? Do you need both to sell autographed items (of value)? Thanks. I have been reading but I'm still confused about these two.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are two different services offered by PSA/DNA. You can choose to have both or just authentication. Most, I believe, mostly only care about authentication when it comes to autographs. If it’s signed sports cards you are getting authenticated, then I think grading might make more sense to have grading added.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

For autographs: Authentication (real) vs grade (scale of 1-10).

You would never grade without authentication, but you can authenticate without grading.

My own opinion (and some would disagree) is that I don't care about someone's opinion on an autograph's grade. I can tell by looking at it how nice it is.

If it's a trading card, a grade on the card is probably very important to a card collector. So, in that case you grade the card and then decide to either just get an authenticity on the autograph or also a grade on the autograph.

• Options

Thanks, this is incredibly helpful! Is PSA/DNA a company name or does it stand for something in the process?

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s the company’s name. They have several different grading and authentication services beyond autographs (I think they also grade unsigned sports cards).