Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Creation of a Coin

Back in 2022 at the NYINC, I had a conversation with representatives from a couple of world mints on my thoughts about improving and evolving the quality of some of the modern world commemoratives. One area I emphasized was a lack of classical numismatic designs being created, with many countries issuing modern pieces that seemed a bit kitschy.

One thing lead to another and I ended up agreeing to work with CIT in Liechtenstein on the creation of a new NCLT issue that focused on something a bit different than the usual stuff you see on modern bullion issues. One of my all time favorite themes is the German Wildman, so it was natural that this became the subject. Cameroon, with its heritage as the former German colony of Kamerun, was a perfect option for this Germanic themed piece. 15 months later, here is the final product, as a Cameroon 5000 Franc 5 oz Silver Commemorative issue.

The obverse is based on the popular Thale a. Harz Notgeld issue of 1922.

The reverse is an homage to the classic depictions from the Brunswick Thalers of the 16th and 17th Century.

The whole process was a lot more complicated than I thought it was going to be. There were so many different drafts, small changes and complications along the way, but it was so neat to see from the inside out how a coin was made, from simply an idea to a final physical piece.

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty cool. I don't have a Wildman taler, but have always found them fascinating.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Cool indeed !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s really awesome!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

Nicely done and well presented.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Love the Wildman!

Would love to hear more about the process.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s beautiful!

The only change I might make is to replace the flat, mirror fields with something else more textured.

The oblique photo seems to have exactly that, so maybe my comment doesn’t apply.

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Am i alone in the world who doesn't like coin's proof and mirror field?

Peace.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

CIT produces some interesting stuff. It’s always interesting what they come up with next. Must have been very interesting working through the process.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

The detail is good.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Such a great idea. The process story adds to it further. Only fitting that a Wildman would be such a large sized coin too.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the kind words!

Would love to hear more about the process.>

There were many, many steps along the way. I thought the most interesting part was seeing how my written descriptions ended up being turned into physical elements of the design- For example, here are a couple of notes from one of the earlier digital renderings:

(Oak and Acorn Border in the Style of Germanic Design, Obverse Wildman face more weathered and craggier)

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics