Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1st SGC submission result 1968 Nolan Ryan

Don't post often but enjoy looking.
Me and my son went to the Chantilly card show and SGC had a booth so we decided to submit with them. This was our first time grading anything. Let me know your thoughts on grades received.
My 68 Topps Ryan
I know it's way off center but I was thinking maybe a 4

Sons 63 Topps batting leaders
We thought maybe a 6 for this.

Overall experience, little disappointed in the Ryan, son was happy with the Mantle. It's all PC for us anyway. Turnaround time was pretty good 4/1 returned 4/13
Anyway thanks for looking

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    IMHO the Ryan is Off Center -2/102 Mis-Cut. PSA would have hammered in just as badly.

The Batting Leaders presents very nicely!

Agree with all of this. Fair grades on both. LL card looks great in its “tux.”

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Aside from the miscut, what's going on here? Looks like front only but also PSA would hammer it.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2023 2:26PM

@jimq said:
    Aside from the miscut, what's going on here? Looks like front only but also PSA would hammer it.

I think that’s part of the adjacent card image due to the miscut. I believe it would have gotten the MC qualifier from PSA and I don’t think that can be absorbed into a lower grade.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@jimq said:

I think that’s part of the adjacent card image due to the miscut. I believe it would have gotten the MC qualifier from PSA and I don’t think that can be absorbed into a lower grade.

Correct it is part of another card, still happy just to have it in a holder.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2023 6:46PM

@jimq said:

This looks like the dreaded jagged gasket. I've seen them ruin many cards with it cutting right into the card. This was a major issue like 10-15 years ago. It's also possible that it's the other card on the sheet as it's miscut. ???

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Nice cards!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been considering using sgc for a few cards myself. that is a very good turnaround time

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

I sent in 4 1954 Bowmans including 2 Mays cards in December and had them back in 9 days total time.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

At least the miscut is balanced in Ryan's favor. Sharp card and great color.

• Options

Thanks for the comments, it's a shame the Ryan is MC because it's pretty sharp otherwise. Have a few more cards I'm going to send.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

If you're keeping it, don't worry about the number on the case. In the old days PSA might call it an 8mc or 9mc, today they would hammer it. The case keeps it nice and new. Enjoy it, it's beautiful!