Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Trueview pics are wrong.. and disappointing restoration

The trueview pictures for one of my coins are wrong.. obviously before this coin was restored by PCGS. Which is actually a bit ridiculous. This coin had attractive rim toning and some $^*#& had the coin restored removing the toning to make the coin bright white.

The correct pictures are showing in my showcase digital album but incorrect on the cert verification page and in my registry inventory page.

Comments

• baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

If it's not your coin anymore than why would it matter if someone decided to restore it or not?

• markinsdmarkinsd Posts: 112 ✭✭

@baseballjeff said:
    If it's not your coin anymore than why would it matter if someone decided to restore it or not?

It is my coin. I bought it not knowing it was restored.

• baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

I hear you. That is a real bummer! I like the original toning better too. I still am questionable about the practice of restoring coins. I don't get how that is different than cleaning a coin.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2023 8:08PM

@baseballjeff said:
    I hear you. That is a real bummer! I like the original toning better too. I still am questionable about the practice of restoring coins. I don't get how that is different than cleaning a coin.

It IS cleaning a coin, but is done by professionals. In our hobby, certain “cleaning” is allowed AND is fully acceptable at straight grading, AND even getting CAC stickers! That doesn’t mean the eye appeal of the end result will appeal to everyone, but remember, there are “original” coins whose eye appeal is often turned down by many collectors too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’m part of a large but silent minority that prefers our silver coins, especially 20th Century silver, to be fully lustrous with bright mirrors, that look like they were made yesterday, just as the designers envisioned their coins would look. In all likelihood, most of my coins were probably dipped, but apparently gently enough that 100% of my coins eligible for a CAC sticker have one!

With that said, I do like the Morgan shown in the top TrueView with the peripheral toning. Keep in mind though, that the original TrueView may have been a glamour shot, making the coin look so much nicer than the actual coin in hand! This speculation is based on my sense that the PCGS Restoration department will typically not accept a coin for restoration that actually looks like the photo at the top of this post.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • markinsdmarkinsd Posts: 112 ✭✭

PCGS just updated the pictures for me. I have had a couple of coins restored by PCGS and I have personally dipped ugly coins and sent in to PCGS that graded problem free. I just can't believe this coin was restored since it seemed to have attractive toning. PCGS pictures do tend to bring out the reds which sometimes appear brown in reality. The coin is gorgeous bright white for sure.

Was building a toned coin showcase then realized the pictures were wrong so decided to whine about it. :D

• skamienieckiskamieniecki Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Cleaning a coin either by a PCGS professional or owner of the coin is still cleaning. Some do it better than others. In any case any coin cleaned or restored should say as much on the cert. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't think you're gonna see " Cleaned " on any cert for a coin conserved by our hosts. There are ways to clean a coin without it doing harm ( think abrasive ) I've dipped a few to rid the coin of nasty dirt, grease, tape or other unsightly matter. Straight graded afterwards.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki said:
    Cleaning a coin either by a PCGS professional or owner of the coin is still cleaning. Some do it better than others. In any case any coin cleaned or restored should say as much on the cert. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

For a straight graded coin, NEVER! For coins IMPROPERLY cleaned, that's done now, with "Detail" holders marked as "Cleaned". And that's how it should be!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996