Home Sports Talk
Options

NHL Erik Karlsson hits 100 points (Defensmen)

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not something you see often a defensmen reaching the 100 point plateau. Very few have ever reached that many points that play that position in NHL history.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2023 6:25PM

I think only 6 have done it.
    B leech was the last.

I think this cements his HOF Career for sure.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would be considered more impressive: McDavids 150 point season or 100 points by a defenseman?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    What would be considered more impressive: McDavids 150 point season or 100 points by a defenseman?

Hard to say only 6 players have made it to both categories.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2023 10:41AM

@craig44 said:

I would have to add that the most impressive of all 6 that reached or passed 100 points is Bobby Orr since he led the league in points twice and by consequence won the Art Ross Trophy twice.

No defensmen has ever done that before or after Orr did it twice.

Best defensmen ever = Bobby Orr

• Options

I refer to Defenseman only

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but is he any good at playing defense? The elite scorers always get questioned about it so what about a guy whose job title is ‘defensemen’.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

McD. He has over 60 goals and 75 of Karlssons points are on assists which are dependent on teammates. Granted there is a value to assists and he isnt on a good team, but how many of those points are secondary assists?

• Options

We need to keep Bobby Orr out of this discussion (my choice for greatest HK player all time). Apples to Oranges....Comparing Karlsson to Orr is like comparing Apples to rotting bananas. He is a great HK player for sure. Norris (3X) this year and future HOF'er. Just my humble opinion. Both 150/100 are great accomplishments.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

I might add the Norris has become year end points leader. This year the players voted for Cale Makar.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my gosh, someone just brought up Bobby Orr.

what next, George Brett?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Yeah but is he any good at playing defense? The elite scorers always get questioned about it so what about a guy whose job title is ‘defensemen’.

Karlsson is terrible defensively.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

@Darin said:

let it go. Then watch the forthcoming LA and Edmonton series. You'll learn some stuff about the importance of defense. And you'll notice a distinct difference on how Kopitar plays defense compared to McJesus.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lanemyer85 said:

@Darin said:

let it go. Then watch the forthcoming LA and Edmonton series. You'll learn some stuff about the importance of defense. And you'll notice a distinct difference on how Kopitar plays defense compared to McJesus.

Most here only care about points per game..........nothing else matters.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

Are you implying that the 3 best teams of the salary cap era (Hawks, Kings, Lightning) were successful because most of their best offensive players were also among their best defenders? Toews, Hossa, Saad, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Point, Hedman, Palat, Killorn, Doughty, Kopitar, Justin Williams, Brown, Toffoli...nope, none of that checks out. I'll have to go watch some 90's Bulls games because I don't think Jordan and Pippen were ever considered to be the best defenders at their respective positions either. Probably no All NBA Defensive Team honors being made there.