Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone have any information pertaining to a Roger Sherman Mint?

ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

If you have any information regarding a old private mint called the Roger Sherman Mint (circa 1970s and/or 1980s), I’d love to hear from you. I haven’t been able to find information concerning that mint.

Thank you

Answers

• Options

It’s part of the Franklin mint

• Options

Thank you - do you have more detailed information on this? Was the Roger Sherman Mint acquired by the Franklin Mint? If so, when? Where was the Mint? I have been able to find any information on the Roger Sherman Mint. I am thinking that the attached silver round was issued by the Roger Sherman Mint in the 1970s or 80s.

• Options

@Nfoster76 said:

Please see my comment above

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger Sherman was one of the Founding Fathers and interestingly, the only person to sign all four great state papers of the United States: the Continental Association, the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution. I knew he signed the Declaration but was unaware about the others. There was a Roger Sherman Mint that existed for a time concurrent with when the Franklin Mint was still making coins and medals...they were apparently a short-lived competitor. I know the Franklin Mint made a Sherman piece as part of one of their historical series of medals some time in the 70s, around the time of the Bicentennial... but this isn't it, as it doesn't bear their FM mintmark and looks nothing like the FM piece. One of those is currently listed on eBay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/325222608086 ) This piece in question might not have even been struck by the Roger Sherman Mint for that matter and could simply be an anonymous issue by someone who was pro-precious metals. That said, I don't believe I've seen any pieces struck by the Roger Sherman Mint so it's plausible that this is one of their pieces.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:
    If you have any information regarding a old private mint called the Roger Sherman Mint (circa 1970s and/or 1980s), I’d love to hear from you. I haven’t been able to find information concerning that mint.

Thank you

Are you perhaps thinking of the Roger Williams Mint?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/mint.php?id=1355

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:
    Roger Sherman was one of the Founding Fathers and interestingly, the only person to sign all four great state papers of the United States: the Continental Association, the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution. I knew he signed the Declaration but was unaware about the others. There was a Roger Sherman Mint that existed for a time concurrent with when the Franklin Mint was still making coins and medals...they were apparently a short-lived competitor. I know the Franklin Mint made a Sherman piece as part of one of their historical series of medals some time in the 70s, around the time of the Bicentennial... but this isn't it, as it doesn't bear their FM mintmark and looks nothing like the FM piece. One of those is currently listed on eBay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/325222608086 ) This piece in question might not have even been struck by the Roger Sherman Mint for that matter and could simply be an anonymous issue by someone who was pro-precious metals. That said, I don't believe I've seen any pieces struck by the Roger Sherman Mint so it's plausible that this is one of their pieces.

Thanks, I am also questioning the Franklin Mint connection. I thought the Roger Sherman Mint was a separate entity. Whether they produced this round or not is open to debate, but it would make sense. There were proof and BU versions I believe. The proofs came in a wood presentation box.

This was around the time of Tupper Saussy’s book The Mircle on Main Street - saving yourself and America from financial ruin. Saussy fought against fiat currency. I have been told that Saussy did not have these rounds made. So the mystery remains.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@Exbrit said:

Thank you

Are you perhaps thinking of the Roger Williams Mint?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/mint.php?id=1355

Nope, but thank you.

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@telephoto1 said:

Thanks, I am also questioning the Franklin Mint connection. I thought the Roger Sherman Mint was a separate entity. Whether they produced this round or not is open to debate, but it would make sense. There were proof and BU versions I believe. The proofs came in a wood presentation box.

This was around the time of Tupper Saussy’s book The Mircle on Main Street - saving yourself and America from financial ruin. Saussy fought against fiat currency. I have been told that Saussy did not have these rounds made. So the mystery remains.

@Exbrit said:

@telephoto1 said:

@Nfoster76 said:

This does not seem to be the case. Do you have other information?

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:

@telephoto1 said:

I'm just curious if you've been able to gather any other info about this piece or the Roger Sherman Mint? I've been unable to do so outside of what I've already related earlier.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

@Exbrit said:

@telephoto1 said:

I'm just curious if you've been able to gather any other info about this piece or the Roger Sherman Mint? I've been unable to do so outside of what I've already related earlier.

Not definitive information. It still may be from the Roger Sherman mint which was closed some time ago. It still may be associated with the Tupper Saussy movement, but no confirmation on that yet. They are nice rounds minted in proof and BU. The proofs came in nice wooded boxes and the BUs in tubes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file