Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unintentionally building a 3RM Zeppelin Set

I've started paying more attention to Weimar Republic German coins the past couple of years and have been opportunistically buying coins when they show up and I think the prices are reasonable. I just picked up my 3rd of the 6 coin Zeppelin commemorative set. This is the D mint mark. It's in the MS64/65 range and will get submitted at the next available time. The set of 6 coins isn't particularly difficult and there isn't a key. You could probably assemble a mid-MS grade set over the course of a year if you wanted to. If you aren't picky about price, you can probably buy the whole set at once off MA-Shops. I'll be keeping an eye out for the F,G, and J examples next.

At .500 fine, these coins don't always tone well or pick up great patinas. Usually white, or near white, is the best way to go.

My photos below:

Here are my other 2 examples so far of the 3 Marks below for comparison. Trueviews haven't been the best lately, so I will say the luster looks a lot better in hand.
1930-E 3 RM in MS64

1930-A 3 RM in MS65

I also have a proof 3 RM type piece and a 5 RM type piece in MS to go along with these. I'll probably hold off on the 5 Reichsmark proof, since those cost a pretty penny.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Comments

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a neat set. Really awesome designs for sure. About how much would a set of these cost in UNC?

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clio said:
    That's a neat set. Really awesome designs for sure. About how much would a set of these cost in UNC?

If you're buying certified coins, then probably in the $1000-1500 range. A bit lower if you are buying raw. Of course the sky is the limit if you are building a top set.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both the 3 & 5 Mark series- great graphics

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.