Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1978 Sports Card Show

In 1978, at a local card show, I finally made a major purchase in which it took me months to save for. For $25, I purchased a 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle card. Today, I found out it could not be graded, because of questionable authenticity. Any thoughts on how they could produce counterfeit cards in 1978, or prior to that? I bought it from a dealer who was at the shows for years, with an impeccable reputation. Psa won't share with me what reasons they came to, to determine it is not authentic. A card I have had in my possession for 45 years.

Comments

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Not as early as yours but here are some pretty convincing fakes I acquired years ago….from the 80’s. Probably plenty of shenanigans going on like this in the 70’s and earlier as well.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post a scan of the card?

Daniel
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have the card in a non recessed, hard plastic screw down holder?
    I have heard that they (especially the real thick ones) caused the corners of the cards to be "squished" and PSA won't grade them and also won't tell you the reason.
    Extremely frustrating to say the least!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember around in 85-86... the 63 Rose Re-print/Counterfeit was everywhere...

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I have heard that they (especially the real thick ones) caused the corners of the cards to be "squished" and PSA won't grade them and also won't tell you the reason.

I thought they called that altered, not questionable authenticity.

I know the screw down holders thing is real and definitely happens, but I think it is less of an issue than generally believed. Over half the Mantle cards in existence were in screw down holders in the 80s!

• Options

The card was in a hard plastic screw down holder. It was really the only thing available back then to protect a nice card. Psa still has the card and they mysteriously don't have a cert image posted in my order.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Boards! The title of your thread was a good one and you will get plenty of solid advice.

I doubt it's a counterfeit but without pictures it's hard to tell. Good luck!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I thought they called that altered, not questionable authenticity.

I know the screw down holders thing is real and definitely happens, but I think it is less of an issue than generally believed. Over half the Mantle cards in existence were in screw down holders in the 80s!

I'm not sure, just thought that might be a reason.
    Either way, PSA should inform you why card failed to grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

post some scans, does seem odd. mantle was popular but a one of fake produced in 1978
    of a 1956 that isn't easy to recognize. that seems odd

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lefty64 said:
    The card was in a hard plastic screw down holder. It was really the only thing available back then to protect a nice card. Psa still has the card and they mysteriously don't have a cert image posted in my order.

They wont post an image for a card or item that fails authentication.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Here is a scan of the card that was returned today. I did have several cards that were purchased in the 70's and put into screw down holders that did receive grades. This is the first. Is Psa too embarrassed to explain how they arrived at a decision?

• Options

hey @handyman ... I like the black light idea/trick... B)

• Options

Awesome info on the link there... :):):)
    the black light looks pretty cool... B)

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, it is certainly a fake. Just google "1956 Topps Mantle" and compare some genuine cards to yours. The real card has lighter colors and has graininess / pixelation shown.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

The coloring looks different on the back. And the lines run thru the shadow figure.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

yep that is fake. PSA is correct

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases