Home Sports Talk
Options

With the Bears planning

olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

to move to Arlington Park, a suburb of Chicago. Does anyone feel like the other sports teams, Bulls, Cubs and White Sox, will also move out of the downtown area. I don't live in Chicago, not even close, but things there don't sound to good. Let me know your thoughts.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭✭

Cubs arent going anywhere. They own a lot of whats right around the stadium and have done a lot of renovations in the not so distant past. Not to mention Wrigley is a major part of their brand. White Sox are doing a bunch of renovations, they arent going anywhere anytime soon.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Cubs arent going anywhere. They own a lot of whats right around the stadium and have done a lot of renovations in the not so distant past. Not to mention Wrigley is a major part of their brand. White Sox are doing a bunch of renovations, they arent going anywhere anytime soon.

thanks for the update. maybe soldier field i'snt that big aof a deal. i thought it was.

• Options

isn't and of not "aof"

• Options

oakland's move to vegas was the first drop. a's are next.

• Options

tennessee is line for a mlb team. some one is going to like the 0 state tax.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@Basebal21 said:

thanks for the update. maybe soldier field i'snt that big aof a deal. i thought it was.

It's a good move for the Bears to leave there and get a new stadium elsewhere, at least for the baseball teams though especially the Cubs it would be a very bad move to leave. The Cubs used their money to buy land around the stadium and build even a hotel around it along with the spaces that lead to restaurants. They were pretty much stuck as long as possible even before that anyways since Wrigley is a destination spot for baseball tourism.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    oakland's move to vegas was the first drop. a's are next.

A's shouldnt be allowed to get Vegas no matter how much they try and tank to move. Them getting it isnt set in stone

@olb31 said:
    tennessee is line for a mlb team. some one is going to like the 0 state tax.

They have a potential ownership group for Nashville which would likely be an expansion team. Until the Rays and As situation is solved expansion is on hold

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

being inside of Soldier Field is Pretty Cool... :)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, its funny, I have been a big NFL fan for over 35 years and all this time I just assumed that the Bears always called Soldier Field their home and occasionally played in Wrigley. I guess I was wrong. It seems the Bears have only played there full-time since 71.

You learn something every day!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

2002 - Because Soldier Field was being rebuilt, the Bears were forced to play all of their home games Downstate in Champaign, at Memorial Stadium on the campus of the University of Illinois.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

A's buying in Land in Vegas.

Raiders left, A's are leaving and Bears are probably moving out of downtown Chicago. 1 or two teams will be in Tennessee soon for baseball.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2023 9:18PM

@olb31 said:
    A's buying in Land in Vegas.

Raiders left, A's are leaving and Bears are probably moving out of downtown Chicago. 1 or two teams will be in Tennessee soon for baseball.

Probably not. It would be one max for baseball and the Braves will do their best to block a team in Nashville. Nashville, Charlotte, New Orleans, should all have teams as obvious ones but the Braves have the power to keep the south east to themselves. Theres a reason why theres only the Braves down there when Mississippi State/LSU and others outdraw several MLB teams for average attendance in big time baseball country

Nashville will probably eventually get a team but it will almost certainly be quite a while

The As are going to be a disaster in Vegas if theyre allowed to move as well. Bringing that cheap owner and awful team there in a few years no one in Vegas will have any interest. Thats the wrong team for that market

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2023 10:42PM

@olb31 said:
    to move to Arlington Park, a suburb of Chicago. Does anyone feel like the other sports teams, Bulls, Cubs and White Sox, will also move out of the downtown area. I don't live in Chicago, not even close, but things there don't sound to good. Let me know your thoughts.

no because the other teams own their stadiums...well the Bulls and Blackhawks split the United Center 50/50. Soldier Field is owned by the Chicago Park District and ran by some sketchy entertainment/promotions outfit called ASM Global. So the Bears couldn't sell naming rights to the stadium (if they wanted to), can't make money off of holding concerts or other events. The field is always in terrible condition and the Bears have no control over that kind of stuff either. So the Bears are paying around $7 mill a year to the Parks District to hold 8 games on a crap field in the smallest stadium in the NFL. So yeah, there a couple reasons to leave.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

Can the White Sox move out from Reinsdorf ownership and the Kenny Williams leadership? Then they can move the team to Podunk USA and still be in a better situation.

• Options

@olb31 said:

If Chicago(and other similarly run big cities) keep the same philosophies going forward, the only person who will be able to get to a game and make it back home is Snake Pliskin.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@olb31 said:

If Chicago(and other similarly run big cities) keep the same philosophies going forward, the only person who will be able to get to a game and make it back home is Snake Pliskin.

the games will only be attended by the high rollers. kind of like horse racing. the bears owner knows what he's doing.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

@olb31 said:

@olb31 said:

the games will only be attended by the high rollers. kind of like horse racing. the bears owner knows what he's doing.

This is the way things are going.

During the Covid thing, when attendance went away, then when it came back but in limited numbers, I heard a lot of talk and theories about the future of live sporting events which bothered me. I can't get into it here really.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2023 12:13PM

I agree with you......I have only been to one White Sox game....It was in 1992(?). It was a night game. Leaving the stadium driving down the street getting back to the the freeway, I have never seen so many police cars. Parked at every intersection. I figured they must have a problem somewhere?... I didn't feel safe. I will never go to another White Sox game..
    Say it ain't so Shoeless Joe.....Whatever.....

BTW....The Lovely Mrs Hydrant™ has a nickname for me, it's....
    SNAKE PLISKIN!

But,...I think even Snake would think twice before going to a White Sox game....

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@olb31 said:

@olb31 said:

This is the way things are going.

During the Covid thing, when attendance went away, then when it came back but in limited numbers, I heard a lot of talk and theories about the future of live sporting events which bothered me. I can't get into it here really.

I hear ya.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

I agree with you......I have only been to one White Sox game....It was in 1992(?). It was a night game. Leaving the stadium driving down the street getting back to the the freeway, I have never seen so many police cars. Parked at every intersection. I figured they must have a problem somewhere?... I didn't feel safe. I will never go to another White Sox game..

I might have seen you at that game... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Hydrant said:

I might have seen you at that game... :)

🤔

• Options

clay travis just posted that 68% of the players voted that a new expansion should play in nashville, tn. if you read my post above i have already predicted this. but it won't be an expansion team. it will be a current team trapped in circumstances outside their control.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    clay travis just posted that 68% of the players voted that a new expansion should play in nashville, tn. if you read my post above i have already predicted this. but it won't be an expansion team. it will be a current team trapped in circumstances outside their control.

He posted the chart from the Atlantic survey. It wasnt 68% of players, it was 69 out of the 100 they asked. MLB hasnt been shy about the fact they want an expansion team in Nashville and even has ownership groups lined up already. Theyve already said they arent going to do anything until the As and Rays get their stadium situation fixed. Eventhough the As dont deserve it and its one of the worst owners for that market it looks like the As situation is settled. Unlike Oakland MLB wants to keep the Rays in Tampa, they want a team in Tampa. Theres a small chance Tampa will get moved but they will do everything they can to avoid it. Nashville is almost certainly going to be an expansion team

• Options

Vegas could have been an expansion team too. I don't think baseball is in a huge position to start new franchises. They don't get ratings like the NFL. Nor TV deals like that either. NBA isn't talking new franchises either.

I think there are several owners who want out of bad situations, tax-wise and environment-wise. But that move would certainly cause some drama.

• Options

Vegas would have been an expansion if the As got a new stadium in Oakland. Its probably going to be Portland for the other team now for some reason although Charlotte isnt out of the question but the Braves will try and stop that. Theyve already said theyre looking to add 2 teams when the As and Rays situations get settled.

MLB actually does get massive TV deals like the NFL does. MLB out earned the NBA and has been doing so for a long time. Only the NFL makes more and more teams would mean bigger TV deals and more revenue. As far as expansion for the NBA. thats its own animal. Only 15-20 players in the NBA actually matter every other team is just there to lose and fill out the league so expansion would just be adding two noncompetitive teams for them.

MLB expansion can be competitive if done properly like the NHL did. But it didnt take the Diamondbacks or Marlins very long to win a WS, its just a shame their owners chose to tear down the teams for profit once they got their win

• Options

good post.