Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico, 50 centavos 1913/17

Hello, and thanks very much for your assistance. I am hoping that someone might kindly help me to find a photo of a 1913/1917 Mexico 50 centavos coin. I am looking at my example (AU) with my digital microscope and I see what appears as a "double struck" top of the 3 with a line connecting the mid, sharp point of the 3 to just slightly to the right of the bottom end of the 3. (So sorry for the poor terminology.) I've checked resources I found online but none have an actual photo. Can anyone help me out, please? I can't supply a good photo as my microscope doesn't have that option.

Thanks so much.

Piano 1

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a number of 1813/2 50C's, but not the 3/7. Would love to see an image

• Options
    Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

HI, TwoKopeiki.

Thanks for your note. I also hope that someone will be able to provide a photo. I have compared my coin to a photo of the normal 1913 issue but my coin distinctly has differences that very much look like a 7 under the 3.

Piano1

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

My question is how can you have a 1913 over 1917? It is impossible.
    You might have a 1913 over 1912 but will need photos to confirm.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2023 3:55PM

@Greenstang said:
    My question is how can you have a 1913 over 1917? It is impossible.

No its not. Its most likely a 1913/07 (which is actually catalogued) and the OP either missed the 1/0 or it was too faint to see.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

It can be what Pruebas mentioned:

• Options

Hello, ELuis. Thanks for the terrific photo of the 1913 50 centavo piece. My coin distinctly shows what MAY be a 7 under the 3. In any event, the 3 on my coin looks quite different than the one in the photo. I wish I could take a photo to send but I don't have equipment that will allow a shot of such a small detail. Very frustrating because otherwise, the coin is beautiful and in AU condition if not better, though toned. As I said earlier, the top of the 3 on my coin is "doubled or restruck" and that line connecting the middle point of the 3 clearly joins near the end of the base of the 3.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Piano1

• Options

^ That image is from a 1913/07 50 Centavos:

• Options

1913/07 makes sense.
    1913/17 does not.
    Really need to see a photo to help any further.

• Options

Hello again, Greenstang and ELuis.

I really appreciate your guidance with this 1913/7 issue. On the photo of the certified coin (great picture) the 7 on my coin looks quite different than that on the photo. And I WAS in error stating it was 13/17. So sorry.

Now, I have increased the magnification on my digital microscope and if nothing else, the second 1 and the 3 are doubled (if not an overdate), especially at the top of the second 1 and all of the 3. I see no evidence of a zero beneath the second 1. Anyway, I appreciate your time and I am going to see if I can find someone who can take a photo of just the date. If I'm successful, I'll be back.

Many thanks, guys!! Much appreciated!

Piano1

• Options

Looking forward to a picture.
    Anxious to see what you have.

• Options

Mee too, Greenstang. I'm asking my neighbors if anyone has the necessary photographic skills.

Piano1

• Options

Hello, ELuis and Greenstang.

here is an attempt at a photo of the 1913 50 Centavo piece I have been asking about. I had to enlarge it considerably on my screen to see the details I was talking about above. I could be nutso, but I could swear something is going on inside the 3 and at the top of the 3 and the second 1. Probably nothing and I am ready to admit my error, but if you can see anything in this photo, I'd be grateful for your thoughts. If you can't enlarge it considerably, you probably won't see what I think is going on. anyway, thanks for the effort!!!

Many thanks. Piano1

• Options

Hello, everyone.

Had a bit of spare time today and thought I would try to teach myself how to edit photos to make them larger and clearer (thanks for the little push from Tramp on the U.S. Coins board).

Anyway, here is the result of my efforts to share a better photo of my 1913 50 centavo piece from Mexico. I hope it works and a nice big, clear photo appears here. If not, my apologies.

Anyway, I STILL think there is "something" under the 3 in the date. Is there something there or am I seeing things (again)?

Thanks very much! Best to everyone! 😁

Piano1

• Options

On a quick look and not being an expert in any way, that might be a 0 & 7 as mentioned previously

hth.-

• Options

Thanks, ELuis.

My thinking exactly but regardless...it's no treasure either way. Still an interesting piece. I very much appreciate your time and skill!

Piano 1

• Options

No problem, I have seen an AU Details NGC graded of a 1913/07 50 Centavos go for $375

• Options

Wow. That surprises me. Maybe it would be worth the investment to send the coin off? I guess I could join the PCGS club again and get my free slabs.

Something to think about. I have a lot of coins that I think have slap potential but the cost per slab is a deterrent.

You're a great help, ELuis. Muchas gracias!

Piano1