Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Latest 1795 C-6b (thick planchet) Half Cent Rarity-5 (50 estimated)

I just found another rare 1795 Liberty Cap Half Cent that was for sale by a dealer in Illinois.
This man bought up three large coin collections and put the coins up for sale.
He had several Liberty Cap Half Cents and this was one of them.
As with most of my finds it is in rather poor condition and does not have a date (typical for low grade versions of this variety)
It is the 'no-pole' variety which also has the 'L' in 'LIBERTY' close to the Cap.
The reverse is what confirms the variety, with the leaf tip just below the 'I' in 'AMERICA'
Parts of 'ERIC' in 'AMERICA' are still showing.
This reverse is only used on the 1795 C-6 (a and b).
It's weight is 97 grains (the thick,heavy sub-variety), making it a 1795 C-6b.
Let me know if you can see the parts of AMERICA and the leaf tip, since they are rather worn and corroded.
If not, I can include more pictures with those areas highlighted.
Enjoy, Jon

Comments

• raysrays Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given that the coin is dateless, and in poor condition, I am not sure the fact that it is attributable to a R-5 variety makes it any more valuable than a more common (R-2) 1795 C6a.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 6a, thin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • coinloverjoncoinloverjon Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

If you are a variety/sub-variety collector and need a C-6b to complete your series
    and there are only 50 of these in existence and hundreds of collectors competing
    for that limited pool of coins, it could be very valuable to you.
    To me, personally, true rarity trumps beauty every time.
    But like I said, that is just me,
    Jon

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinloverjon said:
    If you are a variety/sub-variety collector and need a C-6b to complete your series
    and there are only 50 of these in existence and hundreds of collectors competing
    Jon

Totally agree with your philosophy, that is until I look at your posted example and then I scratch my head and you lose me.

• raysrays Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2023 6:51PM

@coinloverjon said:
    Jon

Everyone’s collecting interests are unique to them. For me, if I was collecting Cohen varieties of Liberty Cap half cents, for a sub-variety distinguished solely by the planchet weight (and otherwise the exact same dies) I know I would not consider a coin in such scudzy condition, unless it was the only one available for the foreseeable future. For that reason, I would not place a premium value for the thick planchet on this particular coin.

It’s like if there was an S-48 so far gone that not even one reverse star could be discerned. What would be the demand or value of such an example ( also R-5, but much more famous and in-demand).

To me the 'hunt' for these rare varieties/sub-varieties is half the fun of collecting.
    Anyone with enough cash in their account can write a check and buy an R-5 coin.
    But where is the fun in that?
    A 'slabbed coin from a dealer has already been discovered, examined and certified as authentic by some third parties, not by me.
    Spending literally (in my case) hundreds of hours learning the varieties and their key diagnostic points to look for and then hundreds of hours more in the search to discover examples that have been overlooked by everyone else for hundreds of years ( or however long people have been seriously collecting these) gives me a real sense of accomplishment,
    And acquiring an R-5 coin, which very few collectors will ever own, at a super low price, is not a bad reward either!
    But like I said, that is just me. :D

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well stated and an interesting cherry pick, @coinloverjon.

I’m guessing you’ve received way more enjoyment from your research on the coin than you’ve spent, so that alone makes it worthwhile.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Thanks for you comment. You get it! Jon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file