Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB Debut patches

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is insane, rookie players making their MLB debut will wear a patch on their uniform, this patch will later be inserted on a 1/1 trading card made by Topps.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-debut-patches-released

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

You see, what they'll do is, insert the patch into the card as a collectible. I've chosen a football card of a random player to show you an example.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about releasing a series of different purple boxes (outlined in black) as NFTs. There will of course be different shades, etc. Anyone want to get in early?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't hate the concept but........ if I'm the player, I'd want the jersey and patch forever preserved!

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    I don't hate the concept but........ if I'm the player, I'd want the jersey and patch forever preserved!

Players do sometimes do that like give a different glove or a back up pair of cleats to the HOF because they want to keep using their current stuff. Sometimes the switch gets caught sometimes it doesnt

One of my former teammates played with a guy in the bigs and they wanted his glove and cleats for some reason. I forget who it was but he didnt want to give them up and ran to the clubhouse pretending to go to the bathroom and quickly swapped them out for his identical backups so he could keep the ones he liked better lol

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 2:12PM

In my fantasy world where I'm 19 again and blessed with top draft pick MLB talent, I put a clause in my contract that I get to keep one of every style of every uniform I ever wear in the majors.

It's a nice dream anyway :)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    In my fantasy world where I'm 19 again and blessed with top draft pick MLB talent, I put a clause in my contract that I get to keep one of every style of every uniform I ever wear in the majors.

It's a nice dream anyway :)

when i was a kid, i had elaborate plans on what memorabilia I would keep from my storied career playing 1b for the red sox. How I would sign my autograph etc.

now the plans have changed a bit as I sit here on the edge of my chair waiting for BB to call me about the punter position on the patriots. I think I will use a different helmet for every game so i can have more memorabilia...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the patch, it could bring epic value to a rookie that turns into a phenom

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I like the patch, it could bring epic value to a rookie that turns into a phenom

Will be interesting to see if there could be extra value for guys like Walker and Volpe who are highly rated prospects and got to wear it on opening day

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purple box is off the table. You snooze, you lose.