Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

FedEx shipping in rural Iowa

At 3:38am CST I received notification that my first submission was shipping (label creation). Excitement quickly turned to a sick feeling when I saw it was FedEx. I emailed them this morning and hope they can change to USPS.

In the past 2 1/2 years...
13 of 19 packages damaged or stolen (lost).
New drivers almost everytime. Doing 65+mph on bumpy, hilly, and curvy gravel roads. We are one of the last stops and our packages seem to get backstage passes to all the action.

UPS isn't bad if our routine driver is on the route. He is the type to ask about life and he is careful. Their other drivers are much more like FedEx.

Having my items damaged would stink but even worse would be something for my Uncle or friend.

No issues with USPS ever and I've had several hundred cards shipped in the last 2 1/2 years since we moved out to the country. The reason for this is that both USPS drivers are local and your performance matters in a small community. (Teachers, judges, mail carriers...)

Apparently customer service phone is live at 7am PST. Wish there was a chat feature for customer support and I wish members with submissions got priority in the calling queue.

1st world problems eh? Hope this can be switched. I would gladly pay a difference. There are no conventions in the area for pickup/dropoff so my only option is mailing. (5 hours from Chicago and 3 from Twin Cities).

Hope everyone has a damn good day today!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS is the best.
    UPS seems good too.
    I worked for a short time for Fed Ex, so I saw how they operate.
    PSA should allow you to choose the carrier that works best for you.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

5th in call queue, answered in 15 minutes, call dropped after we spoke for 2 minutes. They attempted calling back 3x and it was silence on their end.
    Back in the call queue as #39.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck on all fronts @JolleyWrencher!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

No such luck. They said too late and it's the shipping departments discretion. I had a note on my submission but it may have been overlooked, ignored, or shipping department may not have visibility to notes.

I need to get a USPS account and then this will not be an issue in the future. Good to know.

I was told FedEx can hold it but I called and it's ineligible per the automated system. Guessing the super saver doesn't allow it?

I'm very glad these are not raw cards and that I didn't ship the submission from last week yet.

• Options

I was wrong. Only the sender, PSA in this case, can change the FedEx delivery for them to hold it at the local facility instead of delivery to my home. It'll be worth the 70 minutes since it's near where my Uncle lives.

Tried calling back to PSA but the voice-mail said all customer service people are i n a meeting so I couldn't get into the callback queue.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never have an issue with FedEx not holding, but maybe that's how it is there. I have each shipment from PSA diverted to a FedEx drop-off at a Walgreen's, because no one's home during the day to sign for it. I just log on to my FedEx account, go to that package's tracking and handle it all through the 'Manage Delivery' link.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Wow @BBBrkrr … It sounds like by having a FedEx online account, you don’t have to ask anybody!!!

Good to know!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 10:36AM

Where are you at in IA, like Dubuque?

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options

Good info. I moved far from the pickup locations for FedEx.

PSA called and said their shipping department does not perform requests to modify a shipped item and stopped doing a few years ago. Major bummer.

I lived in Cedar Rapids for 33 years, Iowa City area for 3 years in college, and now I'm in the middle of nowhere kind of near Fayette. I love the karst region. Perfect for me for caving, hunting, foraging, and all sorts of adventure.

• Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 11:54AM

There's a fedex location in West Union. Don't know if that would work or not.

Also, to set up an online account, I think fedex has to send a verification letter to your address, so that might not work for this shipment. You'll probably still have to call.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@threeofsix said:
    Wow @BBBrkrr … It sounds like by having a FedEx online account, you don’t have to ask anybody!!!

Good to know!

After dealing with PSA's customer service on some items I find it's always better for me to avoid asking them for anything!

It's just a simple account that I have. I kind of stumbled on being able to do that as a result of PSA sending these via FedEx, but it works very well for me. (I just picked up one this morning)

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

PSA seems to be favoring FedEx for some reason lately. Used to always get USPS, but last few have been FedEx and signature required. USPS used to just dump them over the gate and leave!

• Options

Pleasantly surprised with an early delivery, new driver, box was beat up a bit but everything arrived great.

Attached are pictures of Larry's cards that got shuffled around in various boxes and dresser drawers over the years. Glad to see them graded and preserved after all these years. I can't wait to see his face when I deliver these.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:
    Pleasantly surprised with an early delivery, new driver, box was beat up a bit but everything arrived great.

Attached are pictures of Larry's cards that got shuffled around in various boxes and dresser drawers over the years. Glad to see them graded and preserved after all these years. I can't wait to see his face when I deliver these.

Pretty cool... :)

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in a small no traffic light town. I always hated it when I had a package being delivered via FedEx. Several years ago I wasn't home for a package that needed a signature. I called and was told they would redeliver it the next day. I never left home that day and FedEx never came by. I was following the progress on their website. That evening the status showed attempted delivery but no one home. I called FedEx and was told they would attempt delivery again the next day. I raised hell with them and told them that I had already wasted one day sitting and waiting for them and had no intentions of doing it again. I complained so much that the terminal manager waited for the driver to return and got my package off of the truck and delivered it to me at about 10 pm.