Options

Need help identifying a Brunk Counterstamp #

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterstamp: F. J. Daily.
I think it's D-39.

Comments

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

F.J. Daily is cataloged as Brunk D39, a back-of-the-book one off on an 1838 Bust half. What is your c/s on and is it straight, vertical or curved?

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    F.J. Daily is cataloged as Brunk D39, a back-of-the-book one off on an 1838 Bust half. What is your c/s on and is it straight, vertical or curved?

Thank you @tokenpro . I don't have it in hand yet. It should've been here today, but I just looked and it was delivered to the wrong post office. :( I assume I'll have it tomorrow. Below are the seller's photos.

• Options

The single previously reported Daily c/s was also curved so for now we can assume that it is the same c/s. The length of time between the dates of the host coins (1838 & 1893, not considering wear) is puzzling since most c/s are done on coins circulating at the time which is somewhat problematical at either end of the date spectrum involved. Identifying Mr. Daily may go a long way towards explaining the time gap but pinning down the correct Daily may not be easy. The other quick answers are that his logotype punch outlived the man or that he is an 1890's character that chose individual coins to c/s for his own reasons. It's a neat item for research.

• Options

Thank you for taking the time to answer @tokenpro . Is there a photo in Brunk of the 1838 Half? It would be difficult to identify F. J. Daily, but nothing ventured nothing gained. IF I find anything, I'll report it here.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pic, it's included in the index in the back of the book..

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had been looking forward to the planned new edition of the Brunk book that never made it to publication due to Gregory Brunk's passing.

A couple forum members were due to be listed in it. :/

• Options

@JBK said:
    I had been looking forward to the planned new edition of the Brunk book that never made it to publication due to Gregory Brunk's passing.

Several form members and former forum members were contributors (some major contributors) to the two part first edition as well as the hardcover second edition. I understand negotiations are ongoing regarding the potential third edition.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:

@JBK said:

Several form members and former forum members were contributors (some major contributors) to the two part first edition as well as the hardcover second edition. I understand negotiations are ongoing regarding the potential third edition.

I'm glad (but perhaps not surprised) to hear that current/former members here have been contributors. With all the knowledge here I am not surprised. I even made a few modest reports myself to Mr. Brunk (including a previously unknown example of the Vote The Land Free counterstamp that was dated a few decades later than all other known examples).

My comment was more directed at countersrsmp issuers as there are a couple members here who were planned to be included for the first time.

I'd be very interested in any news on a new edition.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file