Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do PCGS will certify and grad??

I have the coin the COA which certify the coin it is one of the first acceptable coins struck with a Die. COA certify the Die No, No, of struck and the time that Die was in function and the reason for retirement.

The question it is if PCGS accept to print on grading sticker the information and Collection Name.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call customer service. This is a customer board, not customer service.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silviosi said:
    I have the coin the COA which certify the coin it is one of the first acceptable coins struck with a Die. COA certify the Die No, No, of struck and the time that Die was in function and the reason for retirement.

The question it is if PCGS accept to print on grading sticker the information and Collection Name.

I highly doubt it from my experience.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@silviosi said:

I highly doubt it from my experience.

Unless it is sealed or photo certified, I agree. You can match a piece of paper with anything.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Thanks, the set Die (cancelled) and the coin come from the Mint. The coin it is in his capsule, I never try to open, just analyze for engraving defaults as per certificate.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will grade it and encapsulate it but I doubt they would go any further than that.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

So I must go with ANACS or NCG

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

As was mentioned above, call their customer service. This is a customer forum, we don't work for pcgs. See below:

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options

Thank Shane, I do not ask if someone works for PGCS or any others places, I ask for just an opinion.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silviosi said:
    Thank Shane, I do not ask if someone works for PGCS or any others places, I ask for just an opinion.

Unless someone here has actually tried to get one graded, and knows if they will grade/certify it, your best option is to call pcgs. I'm sure this is why a couple members have offered the pcgs customer service number.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 8:09AM

@silviosi said:

You have already received three opinions from forum members. I will make it four.

I do NOT believe that PCGS would even consider adding a "among the first acceptable coins struck" designation to a label, unless it was submitted in a sealed box from the Mint. This is the case as once the Mint box is opened, it is POSSIBLE for someone to switch coins.

I am NOT saying that YOU switched coins. But, it is POSSIBLE, so PCGS cannot cannot be expected to certify that the submitted coin is the original coin associated with the COA.

For reference, see the 'rules' for COA encapsulation. Link Note that PCGS does print COA information on labels in certain circumstances (e.g., 'serialized/numbered' COA). However, in order to ensure that the COA and coin 'match', they REQUIRE sealed Mint packaging. If PCGS requires sealed Mint packaging in this situation, I would think that they would require it in yours.

You now have four OPINIONS. For whatever it is worth, they all agree. Now, if you want a definitive ANSWER regarding what a grading service will, or will not do, you would need to contact the grading service directly and inquire. This is true for PCGS, NGC, or ANACS.

I wish you success. :)

Edited for a typo.

• Options

Thank you very much to all. I ask ANACS and they never had this, PCGS and NCG I do not know yet. I ask you here because you had much more experience with grading companies. I will try to see because it is not so usual this,

Thanks for the link is very helpful. I will give a try and then come back with the result.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 9:04AM

To me, the answer is obvious.

The coin could easily be swapped out once the box was opened, so no, they would not certify any specific provenance.

Had the TPGs taken an interest in this mint offering originally, they could have set up a process for people to send sealed boxes, but this was not done.

I have one of these die sets. They are very interesting collectables, but not everything can be - or should be - slabbed.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2023 10:38AM

Thanks** JBK** : I agree not to slab everything but I like those sets. I have 9 and I deal with Quarters for my study on coins Design. the reason to slab it is not to mixt the coins by accident with other in capsule. I love the sets also because I have from Gruber press and Shuler press for the same Mint same year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file