Home Sports Talk
Options

NIL and Transfer portal benefit to NCAA Basketball

Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 26, 2023 7:30PM in Sports Talk

Could we all agree that NIL and transfer portal has really opened things up in college basketball now which is a good thing overall?

For the first time in history a #1 didnt make the final 8 and obviously not the final 4. Theres never been a final 4 without a 1 or 2 much less a 3. Two 5s a 4 and a 9 this year really shows how its better having the talent spread out over bluebloods just stacking talent on the bench

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Could we all agree that NIL and transfer portal has really opened things up in college basketball now which is a good thing overall?

For the first time in history a #1 didnt make the final 8 and obviously not the final 4. Theres never been a final 4 without a 1 or 2 much less a 3. Two 5s a 4 and a 9 this year really shows how its better having the talent spread out over bluebloods just stacking talent on the bench

I LOVE it. Allowing players to make money and to find better situations for themselves is awesome. AND it'll lead to guys staying in college longer, which is also a good thing.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is absolutely a good thing. Let those guys make some money too. Heaven knows the colleges are making a ton off from them.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is an excellent question. I don't begrudge people making money, or having options. But I am not ready to say succinctly that this is the answer for the college game. One of the reasons I may be hesitant is that there was (and still is) so much wrong with how things are administered that I am not certain what the right fix is.

If this thread grows legs, I will be interested i reading the different talking points.

I have said before that I am not a huge watcher of college sports. However, I used to be. Particularly college basketball. From youth until my early twenties (when I got married) I watched lot, followed it, and my sports media consumption was riddled with it, as well as a good chuck of college football. I did make a conscious decision to stop watching college football when I got married, and said that I will just do Sundays, but making that decision and the decision to go away from college basketball wasn't too hard for me. I had always been more of an NFL guy. The college basketball thing just happened naturally.

I had been such a huge fan of NCAA mens hoops. Things were changing though. Guys weren't staying as long. I couldn't get that sense of who was who and what was what. I can definitely see how the NIL thing will keep guys who are more fringe prospects in the college game longer.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

It has really changed things in college hoops and football. YES.

Good Thing? Not so sure. I guess I would like to see several more years of this and all the covid (government shutdown) years wash out the scholarships. It just seems that the coaches are now more babysitters than actual coaches. Example being my team Illinois had a 5 star recruit commit and start the season. He was originally committed to Kentucky. Rumor has it that he was promised starting PG at Illinois in order to come to the team. Things were not going as planned and he was taken out of the starting lineup mid December. He then left the team at that time. So his sophomore year (unless he goes pro) will be his third college team. And by the way, he went to 4 different high schools.

I think the pendulum has maybe swung too far to where the players have control. I would like to see what happens now that the 6 year players from the extra covid year are no longer in the system.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@Basebal21 said:

It has really changed things in college hoops and football. YES.

Good Thing? Not so sure. I guess I would like to see several more years of this and all the covid (government shutdown) years wash out the scholarships. It just seems that the coaches are now more babysitters than actual coaches. Example being my team Illinois had a 5 star recruit commit and start the season. He was originally committed to Kentucky. Rumor has it that he was promised starting PG at Illinois in order to come to the team. Things were not going as planned and he was taken out of the starting lineup mid December. He then left the team at that time. So his sophomore year (unless he goes pro) will be his third college team. And by the way, he went to 4 different high schools.

I think the pendulum has maybe swung too far to where the players have control. I would like to see what happens now that the 6 year players from the extra covid year are no longer in the system.

Its either this year or next year that there wont be anyone left that had the free covid year I cant remember how they did it. I want to say next year

The blue bloods should rise back up a little once the covid players are gone. Its not as much the case in basketball or baseball but in football a 6 year 3 star is generally as good as a 4 or 5 star freshman thats still growing and adjusting.

At some point there probably will end up being national NIL rules instead of each state having different ones, but the NCAA and the schools have no one to blame for this but themselves. You had them putting guys in video games and billboards in time square but is someone gave a player lunch money theyd be suspended. Then all the stories of transfers getting blocked just because coaches didnt want to help another team etc. Their draconian rules lead to the court cases that forced the changes.

Overall though it does spread out the talent a lot more which is good for all the sports. Theres also a number of players that started out a real small schools like a JMU who proved themselves then transferred to a major program

• Options

There's at least one year of COVID waiver players left. Drew Timme, for example, could still come back if he wanted.

• Options

@Alfonz24 said:

I think the pendulum has maybe swung too far to where the players have control.

Why is that a bad thing?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Why is that a bad thing?

Some act and believe that they are prima donas. I would compare this to public school teachers. Where the teachers had all the control back when I was a kid, but the stories I hear from my friends who are currently teachers is appalling the way kids (and some parents) act in today's schools.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@Tabe said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Why is that a bad thing?

Some act and believe that they are prima donas. I would compare this to public school teachers. Where the teachers had all the control back when I was a kid, but the stories I hear from my friends who are currently teachers is appalling the way kids (and some parents) act in today's schools.

Teachers is a real bad comparison. They're supposed to be there to try and make sure people arent stupid. Sports the players are what make the product. Without the players there are no coaches, no billions of dollars etc. Pretty much every superstar at every level is going to have some sort of attitude especially in basketball where they likely have gotten insanely special treatment their entire life. Sometimes though whats being described as being a prima dona is really just being competitive or doing whats best for their career.

• Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@Tabe said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Why is that a bad thing?

Some act and believe that they are prima donas.

So what? "Some" act like prima donnas. So?

• Options

Caleb Love.