Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

question for the hockey collectors

i collect some hockey from 1993 and older. i know the 1989 topps is somewhat rare. any other years tough to get raw or unopened.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

1981 opc seems to be pricey and rare for unopened

• Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

1985 OPC another good one, Lemieux rookie and possibility of strong box bottom either Lemieux/gretzky panel.

Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options

1980-81 OPC is another one with the Bourque and Messier rookies plus the Gretzky 2nd year.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

although I’m not really a hockey dude - I’m learning A Lot about the unopened material here…That’s pretty cool I think... :)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cefy1 said:
    1985 OPC another good one, Lemieux rookie and possibility of strong box bottom either Lemieux/gretzky panel.

Are these actually boxes selling in the $20,000.00 price range???!!!???

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

BBCE has one for $25K, great deal for an off centered PSA 8 Lemieux RC insert eye roll here

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah 1985 is off the radar for me. I was looking for deals. I like the 1992 Topps because of the gold cards. I just bought 2 1990 topps cello boxes for $60 total.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been buying late 1990's-2002 hockey boxes when I can find them. I was a big Red Wing fan back then and those years mean something to me. It's probably the last great era for hockey cards, lots of product choices at every level.

Mike
  • Options

@Jayman1982 said:
    BBCE has one for $25K, great deal for an off centered PSA 8 Lemieux RC insert eye roll here

Unbelievable.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

You may have been looking for unopened, but tough long-term great hockey collectibles from the junk wax era are stickers that came from Sweden in the first cards (stickers) of these elite HOFers: 1989 Swedish Semic Championship set #178 Dominik Hasek, 1989 Swedish Semic Elitserien sticker set has the first cards (stickers) of #247 Niklas Lidstrom & #72 Mats Sundin. Check the pop report on these as all of a sudden they are almost 35 years old and still not many copies around. Jury still out on the 1990 Foodland jaromir Jagr RC. Still only 17 PSA 10's but still feel like plenty enough raw left around to not jump to conclusions. But compare that 17 to the 3,400 1990 opc premier psa 10 Jagrs! If the 1990 Foodland raw stuff dries up, and that Jagr pop stays low, could be a monster card long term.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

I like stashing early Upper Deck boxes (90/91 and 91/92). Lots of HOF rookies between the two years and they can still be had for reasonable prices. 90/91 High Series French has been on a roller coaster ride the last few years price wise. 90/91 Score is also a cheap pickup (American or Canadian), with Brodeur and Lindros having their only rookie cards in there. None of these are tough to come by, but always fun to stash and rip.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

@MinorLeaguer said:
    You may have been looking for unopened, but tough long-term great hockey collectibles from the junk wax era are stickers that came from Sweden in the first cards (stickers) of these elite HOFers: 1989 Swedish Semic Championship set #178 Dominik Hasek, 1989 Swedish Semic Elitserien sticker set has the first cards (stickers) of #247 Niklas Lidstrom & #72 Mats Sundin. Check the pop report on these as all of a sudden they are almost 35 years old and still not many copies around. Jury still out on the 1990 Foodland jaromir Jagr RC. Still only 17 PSA 10's but still feel like plenty enough raw left around to not jump to conclusions. But compare that 17 to the 3,400 1990 opc premier psa 10 Jagrs! If the 1990 Foodland raw stuff dries up, and that Jagr pop stays low, could be a monster card long term.

nice thanks

• Options

@rmh111985 said:
    I like stashing early Upper Deck boxes (90/91 and 91/92). Lots of HOF rookies between the two years and they can still be had for reasonable prices. 90/91 High Series French has been on a roller coaster ride the last few years price wise. 90/91 Score is also a cheap pickup (American or Canadian), with Brodeur and Lindros having their only rookie cards in there. None of these are tough to come by, but always fun to stash and rip.

thanks

• Options

Also the 1990-91 Topps Tiffany and 1990-91 Bowman Tiffany hockey sets were both limited to 3,000 sets and still reasonably priced. Good sets full of stars and RCs but they blew it and don't have Brodeur or Jagr in them. What could have been!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2023 5:32AM

@MinorLeaguer said:
    Also the 1990-91 Topps Tiffany and 1990-91 Bowman Tiffany hockey sets were both limited to 3,000 sets and still reasonably priced. Good sets full of stars and RCs but they blew it and don't have Brodeur or Jagr in them. What could have been!

Not only Brodeur and Jagr, but those two sets also don't have Fedorov or Bure or Lindros or Blake or Sundin in either of those. Topps doesn't have Belfour either. With the amount of product out there from 1990, it has always amazed me that 1990 hockey cards as a whole are indisputably the most loaded year with HOF RC's overall for any sport ever within a single year of issuance, but at the same time, there is not a single set among the 1990 ones that has one card of each HOF RC in it.

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

1989 Topps is not rare or tough to find. It was the 1st year that they printed more OPC than Topps, making Topps appear tougher to find for the 1st time.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

2007-08 is a great year, with multiple future HOF guys, Price, Kane, Toews are all locks. Backstrom is going to be close, Kreji is a no, but an important player to the first Bruins Cup run and whatever happens this year. Also somewhat early cards of Crosby and OV. I cracked a case recently and have one stewing. Very fun break.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@MinorLeaguer said:

Not only Brodeur and Jagr, but those two sets also don't have Fedorov or Bure or Lindros or Blake or Sundin in either of those. Topps doesn't have Belfour either. With the amount of product out there from 1990, it has always amazed me that 1990 hockey cards as a whole are indisputably the most loaded year with HOF RC's overall for any sport ever within a single year of issuance, but at the same time, there is not a single set among the 1990 ones that has one card of each HOF RC in it.

Don't count out 1989 football, and for the same reason.

• Options

@daltex said:

@miwlvrn said:

@MinorLeaguer said:

You're right, I didn't realize they both had 13 at the moment.

1990 hockey has 13 so far, and a few more possible coming soon:

13 in HHOF
    Belfour
    Blake
    Brodeur
    Bure
    Fedorov
    Fetisov
    Larionov
    Lindros
    Makarov
    Modano
    Niedermayer
    Recchi
    Sundin

Jagr is a guarantee, but he hasn't retired yet so still waiting for that one.

Some other notable ones besides Jagr:

Alexander Mogilny (he will get in eventually)
    Curtis Joseph (very likely he'll get in but not as much of a lock as Mogilny)
    Jeremy Roenick (same story as CuJo; likely eventually but not before Mogilny)
    Rod Brind'Amour
    Mike Richter (outside chance but I'm not betting on it)

Hockey is a guaranteed 14, and will probably end up being 17. Does 1989 football have others not in HOF but still with high probability of getting in eventually?

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@daltex said:

@miwlvrn said:

@MinorLeaguer said:

13 in HHOF
    Belfour
    Blake
    Brodeur
    Bure
    Fedorov
    Fetisov
    Hasek
    Larionov
    Lindros
    Makarov
    Modano
    Niedermayer
    Recchi
    Sundin

Rod Brind'Amour

Hockey is a guaranteed 14, and will probably end up being 17. Does 1989 football have others not in HOF but still with high probability of getting in eventually?

• Options

@AANV said:

@miwlvrn said:

@daltex said:

@miwlvrn said:

@MinorLeaguer said:

13 in HHOF
    Belfour
    Blake
    Brodeur
    Bure
    Fedorov
    Fetisov
    Hasek
    Larionov
    Lindros
    Makarov
    Modano
    Niedermayer
    Recchi
    Sundin

Rod Brind'Amour

Hasek is a 1991 card on the HOF registry. He does not have conventional cards in 1990 packs.

All that said, I'd like to see the registry RC's be 1979 for Fetisov and Makarov, 1983 for Larionov, and 1989 for Hasek and Sundin, but they don't put Euro cards on the compositions.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

That I can't so much as offer an opinion on. I really have no idea what the criteria are for the NFL HoF.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@AANV said:

@miwlvrn said:

@daltex said:

@miwlvrn said:

@MinorLeaguer said:

13 in HHOF
    Belfour
    Blake
    Brodeur
    Bure
    Fedorov
    Fetisov
    Hasek
    Larionov
    Lindros
    Makarov
    Modano
    Niedermayer
    Recchi
    Sundin

Rod Brind'Amour

Hasek is a 1991 card on the HOF registry. He does not have conventional cards in 1990 packs.

All that said, I'd like to see the registry RC's be 1979 for Fetisov and Makarov, 1983 for Larionov, and 1989 for Hasek and Sundin, but they don't put Euro cards on the compositions.

Not conventional. but Hasek does have the 1990 Procards #409 with the Indianapolis Ice and the 1991 Procards #500 also with the Indianapolis Ice. Pops are somewhat low for junk wax eras standards, so i am surprised they don't go for more. I also agree with your view on the Euro issues. Fetisov "RC" as 1990 is laughable.

• Options

@wrighty said:
    I just bought a BBCE wrapped vending box of 1980 Topps. Second year Gretsky and Bourque rookies. I'll be breaking it when I get it hopefully centering is solid.

Good luck!!!!

• Options

@wrighty said:
    I just bought a BBCE wrapped vending box of 1980 Topps. Second year Gretsky and Bourque rookies. I'll be breaking it when I get it hopefully centering is solid.

I am really curious to see how you do with this rip! I have one as well, and I've been tempted to open mine before but I keep holding back for fear of bad results.

• Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@wrighty said:

Good luck!!!!

@miwlvrn said:

@wrighty said:

I am really curious to see how you do with this rip! I have one as well, and I've been tempted to open mine before but I keep holding back for fear of bad results.

I’ll let you know how I make out. Hope to have in hand within a week or two.

• Options

sweet. that sounds fun

• Options

@olb31 said:
    sweet. that sounds fun

I think this year still has value and unopened isn't overly expensive. Sorry to hijack the thread and take the focus off your initial question

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:

The 1990 Upper Deck Hockey Set is one of the nicest photographed sets in any sport. If Upper Deck showed some restraint in production this could have been a classic.

I know Upper Deck went wild in 1990-1992 in all sports. Does anyone which of the four sports was the LEAST overproduced? I see so many of all 4 sports that I can't tell if one is less produced.

Mike
  • Options

@wrighty said:

@olb31 said:
    sweet. that sounds fun

I think this year still has value and unopened isn't overly expensive. Sorry to hijack the thread and take the focus off your initial question

No problem. I would love to open a 1980 box, but if i bought it i would probably just keep it.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@wrighty said:

Quick update on our discussion above. Overall, the box was decent and original. Biggest issue as with most vending was the centering but cards were in good shape. I picked 16 stars and low pops and sent to PSA. One 6, twelve 7's, and three 8's. All three Bourque's came back 7's and one of the Gretsky's came back as an 8. I'll put together the sevens with the raw cards and sell and probably sell the 8's separately. Fun break between the cost of box and grading fees I will be close to breakeven I believe.

• Options

thanks for the update.

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options

sweet unopened packs.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimrad said:

Oh Yeah...Those are Pretty Cool... :)