Home Q & A Forum

Why would two 1936 Lincoln pennies weigh two different amounts and look completely different?

I have two 1936 Lincoln wheat pennies that weigh two different amounts and look completely different. Does anybody have any idea why?

Answers

• Metal planchette used one seems slightly larger than the other and more susceptible to damage than the other normal looking 1936 US penny definitely seems like two different metal compositions. Maybe a foreign planchette? The normal I'm going to use the word normal in 1936 penny weighs 3.03 g. The abnormal 1936 penny which is in very bad condition weighs 3.16 g. I'm baffled!!

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without photos it would be hard to say. :/

Fair chance you have a coin that has been plated. ;)

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

You really need to post pictures to get a proper answer, but both of those weights are within normal range for a Lincoln cent so nothing unusual there. As far as the looks, it is impossible to say without seeing them, but coins are often different color, texture, etc. because they have been exposed to different environments.

Cent weight 3.11 +/- 2.98 to 3.24

• I'll get the coins out and get my microscope out and try to take decent pictures of them and post them. I realize that coins can look to be different colors as far as brown, red, red brown. I also have a Roosevelt time that I believe is missing it's cladding on the obverse and reverse of the coin. I will send pictures of the pennies in question and the dime.

• Sorry I didn't mean to throw that other one in there I believe it's a clipped planchette Roosevelt dime

Both dimes and the one 1936 cent are just damaged. The undamaged 1936 is a nice circulated wheat cent though.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one's weighing in at 3.0

• Why is the damage 1936 Penny bigger than the other penny? And the 1966 dime that I assumed was a clipped planchette, still has the ridges on the edge?

• My maternal grandfather passed away before I was born and he used to collect coins and stamps,as a little girl I started collecting coins and stamps like he did. At that young age I was only concerned about filling the books. Now that I have all this time on my hands battling cancer, I decided to get back into it. So I'm a novice,I apologize if it seems like I'm asking a lot of stupid questions. But I appreciate everyone's help.

• I have some other coins that I thought might be interesting ,maybe not. It would be great if you guys will take a look.

Cool.

If the dime was truly a clipped planchet it would not have the ridges, they are impressed by the collar when the coin is struck and the clipped area would not reach the collar. As far as why the damaged cent is larger, it doesn't show in the pictures but if it is it must have been flattened out a little when it was damaged. There are no stupid questions and ask away, post all the coins you want. Keep fighting!

Your photo of the clipped (?) coin does not show any reeding on the edge. place it into a cut made on a clean sponge to show the edge.
    Goodnight.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like your dime was a dug coin from metal detecting. The cent was probably a "Texas Cent". That being said "Texas Cents" are normal cents that someone put a piece of leather or cloth over if then pounded on with a hammer to make it oversized. Could have been used in a vending machine and got stuck from the damage incured.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Thank you, Icutler. Failure is not an option!!! I should make that my quote. My son was diagnosed 10 weeks after I was and our quote is" F Cancer!!!"

• And I want to thank everyone else for all of your input and I agree with you I don't want to go to heaven either if there's no dogs there. Okay here's another one it's probably just environmental damage but let's see.

"Okay here's another one"

Post mint damage (PMD) sorry. :/