Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Modern Type Set... got my answer!!

From a scoring standpoint which is preferable with a business strike Franklin Half:
66FBL

Thanks,
Bill
Bartdog

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill- I'm sure hoping the right answer is the MS67. It's a much tougher coin to find.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Well - that would be my thought also except for a possible deduction less the FBL designation?
    Bartdog
  • Options
    Replaced a pop 442/8 MS66FBL Franklin with a pop 29/0 MS67 Franklin and lost .04 points? image

I realize that FBL +/- to scoring, but it seems to me that a pop 29 coin should not lose points to a pop 400+ coin. SO..... I will continue to use the MS66FBL in this set and use the PCGS MS67 Franklin over in my NGC Registry Set(s) which was my intent anyway.

Bill
    Bartdog
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Bill,

The 67 is the better (and rarer) coin, but since it is not "completely" struck, does have a point discount in the Registry here. There are currently 96 coins graded 67 or 67 FBL vs 5,660 graded 66 or 66FBL.

Remember that scores don't always reflect quality, stick with the 67 and feature it in both places.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Keith,

OF COURSE, you are right and I will place the MS67 Franklin in my set here... just frustrating that in this example the unquestionably better piece is viewed by the "system" as the lessor coin! Really appreciate the numbers that you put up with your post as they tell the true story! image

Bill
    Bartdog
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 66FBL might not be a better struck coin. stepping up to 66-67 should mean virtually no contact marks, with the 67 being "cleaner" with better detail. bartdog, how visible are the lines on that beauty? can you let us see it??image

al h.image
  • Options
    Al - here you go..... strong bell lines to boot! image

Bill
    Bartdog
  • Options
    Very nice image
    Keith ™