Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can anyone point to the change in PSA grading? Was there a material change to standards in writing?

ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

B/c clearly this PSA 2 is far more attractive in every single aspect to grading and worth more to the collector condition wise than the following PSA 4....

Comments

• Options
    HappytrailsHappytrails Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 10:26AM

My gosh. I am just noticing the surface dots and mustache on the PSA 4 ~ dotting all over the collar....

• Options

At some point the "recreational hobby" became a "huge money business" and thus the obvious transition from the older Cert. # to the PSA 2.... good legit questions.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything starting with a ‘6’ definitely seems to be at a different standard (and I gave a ton of 6’s).

If I believed in conspiracy theories it would be an easy leap to believe this will change back and then PSA gets a bunch of re-grades when things go back to how they used to be. Money coming and going.

But I’m not a conspiracy theorist so there’s no way that’s true…

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand that one was graded more recently as shown by the advanced technology flip, but both were graded after PSA started using the .5 scale.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was my point in another post. Sometimes common sense needs to come into play. There is no doubt that the first one is heads and tails better than the second on. the second one looks like a 3. this first one should at least be 4.5 .

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Back scans?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 12:07PM

@fmclaug11 said:
    Back scans?

I was going to say the same thing.

I’m not convinced that grading standards have changed. Eye appeal and technical grade have always been 2 separate things.

Edit to add: for the most part, in my recent subs, I’ve had some items grade higher than I expected and some grade lower. And I realize my grading eye isn’t perfect to begin with.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Could be paper loss we can't see on the front or paper loss on the back?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eye appeal can vary greatly in lower grades. Even a 5 can vary greatly. I have mint looking cards that were downgraded to a 5 because of a surface wrinkle. I frankly think they deduct too much for surface wrinkles that can only be seen at an angle in bright light. However, that's been the case for at least the last 20 years when I've been submitting cards.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    B/c clearly this PSA 2 is far more attractive in every single aspect to grading and worth more to the collector condition wise than the following PSA 4....

Outrageous. That is not a 2. And that's an overgraded 4.
    This makes me really nervous about my sub.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 1:38PM

In my opinion...serial numbers beginning with 0xxxxxxx, 1xxxxxxx, 3xxxxxxxx and early 2xxxxxxx were graded looser than later grading beginning with 4xxxxxxx, 5xxxxxxx, 6xxxxxxx, and currently 7xxxxxxx. There are nice examples in early grading worthy of the assigned grade, no doubt, but a collector/investor needs to look carefully at these early grades to determine if the assigned grade is justified.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 1:58PM

front of the card is only 1/2 the story on technical grade.

Take this T-206 for example. I picked it up as the colors were vibrant and corners and edges were near perfect. However there was back damage. Apologies as I don't have the back scan handy

All boils down to buy the card not the flip.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I think some , if not many, of the new graders (for vintage) go in looking for flaws. And I mean really , really looking for anything imperfect in the cards they grade. And with the help of AI and better scopes they will find them.

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

I recently sent three 3 PSA 9 1972 #445 Seaver's for regrade. Two came back 8, one 7. A 1977 #150 Seaver 9 for regrade came back a 6. A 1973 #350 Seaver 9 for regrade came back 8. Thought they had a chance of a 10. All cracked out for regrading. No kidding...AI technology is being used IMO.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Seaverfan said:
    I recently sent three 3 PSA 9 1972 #445 Seaver's for regrade. Two came back 8, one 7. A 1977 #150 Seaver 9 for regrade came back a 6. A 1973 #350 Seaver 9 for regrade came back 8. Thought they had a chance of a 10. All cracked out for regrading. No kidding...AI technology is being used IMO.

Wow. Not sure what to say about this. But I will say that the cardboard issues are lowering the cards in my opinion. Any flaw in the cardboard lowers the card to a 7 or 8 instantly.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I accept that vintage cards are being graded harshly right now. But at the same time, I keep seeing newly graded PSA 9s on eBay with very noticeable corner wear. Hard to understand.

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Yes, I agree. My regrades were in the "6" serial numbers. I've noticed more vintage 9's as well with corner issues currently available but mostly from the "7" serial number series. So I can guess perhaps they let up on the AI grading a bit?

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

And it's not like you can go to SGC to get accurate vintage grading.
    The kids grading over there are so reverent to shiny, refractory ultramodern, that vintage doesn't measure up in their eyes, so the grades suffer.

SGC 1.5 standards: "Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits several of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, a small portion of the card may be missing."

"SEVERAL."
    Yeah, I know, no back pics, but when I think 1.5, I think of a card that's pretty beat up.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2023 7:17AM

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @fmclaug11 ...... back scan for you~~PSA 2 only

I think we know what Chaz would say.

There would have to be multiple hidden defects for this card to be a "2". I don’t understand. Perhaps a "mechanical" error in getting grade into the system, like a typo? My sevens can look like twos when handwritten.

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Back looks pretty good…only other thing I noticed on the front after a second look is what appears to possibly be a pin hole or perhaps an indentation (as it doesn’t appear to go thru to the back)? I suppose that could bring it down to a 2. Nice looking 2 regardless.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

When we look at a road map, there's no nuance, we will all agree that US 10 goes east from San Antonio to Houston.

IMO, grading is subject to all kinds of "subjective" factors and one that's human? How does one "feel" today?

I'll bet if I gave any grader from any company 100 cards and had them grade them on Monday?

And then give them the "same" 100 cards on Wednesday? I'm willing to bet that I won't get the same results.

Isn't this something we all kind of think and just have to accept when sending our cards to be graded?

Mike
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

SGC has been tough lately too. I have sent in a few submissions and they seem to have tightened up their standards.