Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anybody had trouble with eBay generated tracking numbers?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a $24 coin that was shipped from Tennessee on the 14th. Cheap enough that the seller did not bother to get a USPS tracking number, which was fine by me. I did get an eBay generated tracking number.
On the 16th I got an email from eBay that it was delivered. Clicked on the tracking number and it showed that it was both delivered to my zip code and out for delivery in Dallas, TX. Checked the P.O. Box on the 17th and it was not there. COntacted the seller and he said be patient.
Checked the P.O. Box on the 20th and the 22nd and it not there. Checked on the 24th and it was there. No odd postmarks from strange cities or anything. Bottom line is everything is fine, but thought the whole thing was strange.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same thing happen with an inexpensive coin shipped in an Ebay $1.99 envelope. Said delivered..contacted seller he said be patient it will show up. It did 3 days after it was already delivered.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 8:03AM

The ebay standard envelope tracking is “wonky”, to be generous. There are no actual acceptance or delivery scans on these packages, as they are not scanned at either the acceptance or the delivery. You hear a lot of strange stories with this tracking service!

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a few marked delivered then they arrived a few days later

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay standard envelope shipments are scanned by automated sorting equipment at the post office. The clerks and carriers do not (and cannot) scan these. It's not unusual for them to show as "delivered" if you check the online tracking before they are actually in your mailbox. The price limit for this type of tracking is $20 though, I don't know how someone might use it for a $24 item.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 8:33AM

@MasonG said:
    eBay standard envelope shipments are scanned by automated sorting equipment at the post office. The clerks and carriers do not (and cannot) scan these. It's not unusual for them to show as "delivered" if you check the online tracking before they are actually in your mailbox. The price limit for this type of tracking is $20 though, I don't know how someone might use it for a $24 item.

From the above, does it seem like delivered means it was scanned by the local post office?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MasonG said:

From the above, does it seem like delivered means it was scanned by the local post office?

I suspect it depends on the post office. Mine isn't big enough, so the delivery scan would be done somewhere before that. Either way, the "delivered" scan is not done by the carrier the way regular tracked mail is.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

It usually showed up in your P.O. Box 3 to 7 days after it said delivered.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found ebay generated numbers to be jokes. Sometimes they say delivered and 3 or 4 days later they show up, sometimes they say in process for the whole period and sometimes it says can't find, check number. Ridiculous, but never has a seller used them for expensive items.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    I have found ebay generated numbers to be jokes. Sometimes they say delivered and 3 or 4 days later they show up, sometimes they say in process for the whole period and sometimes it says can't find, check number. Ridiculous, but never has a seller used them for expensive items.

eBay standard envelope tracking can only be used on items priced $20 and less. If a buyer doesn't like this tracking method, I tell them they're welcome to add $5 for regular USPS tracking. So far, no one has taken me up on the offer.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 7:05PM

Is there any kind of eBay guarantee when the eBay track number indicates the item has been delivered?

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Is there any kind of eBay guarantee when the eBay track number indicates the item has been delivered?

I don't know about the buyer's side of the deal but I have always been paid when tracking shows delivered.

• Options

As a followup... in a couple of cases, I have had buyers report that they never received a shipment and although tracking indicated "accepted", it did not show as "delivered". In that event, I refunded the buyer, filed a claim and received a refund in the next day or two.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 11:16PM

@Zoins said:

I just shipped one coin to Canada using eBay shipping because the buyer don’t want to pay shipping. It had $100 insurance come with ebay shipping. The tracking only shows on eBay. You can’t track it from usps site.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@Zoins said:

I just shipped one coin to Canada using eBay shipping because the buyer don’t want to pay shipping. It had $100 insurance come with ebay shipping. The tracking only shows on eBay. You can’t track it from usps site.

Parcelsapp.com will track it.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried using them, but have had more trouble with their limited tracking than the discount you receive. Had several folks say they didnt get it, and tracking just stopped at charlotte processing center, never to be scanned again. I only use them now on packages to folks that buy from me routinely on smaller dollar items, becuase if they say they didnt get it, Im pretty confident, they actually didnt.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file