Home Sports Talk

Mike Trout career stats?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at his career stats nothing seems impressive to me he is nowhere near 3000 hits or 500 hr and he is 31 years old. He also has never won a World Series championship.

Am I missing something I mean people seem to think he is the best baseball player of this generation.

Comments

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭

You asnwered your own question. Hes just turned 31 with almost 400 Hrs 200+ SB. As long as his genetic back issue holds up hes got about another decade left in him and has been in the league since he was 19.

Dont forget that everyone currently playing also got robbed of a 2020 season with only 60 games and the 7 inning double headers are decreasing their plate appearances per year

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who do you think is the best baseball player of Trout's generation, and how many hits and HR did they have at age 31?

Maybe your answer will clear up my extreme confusion, but counting up hits and HR is such a poor way to identify a best player that I'm skeptical. Counting up World Series wins is, obviously, not a way at all, poor or otherwise.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    Who do you think is the best baseball player of Trout's generation, and how many hits and HR did they have at age 31?

Maybe your answer will clear up my extreme confusion, but counting up hits and HR is such a poor way to identify a best player that I'm skeptical. Counting up World Series wins is, obviously, not a way at all, poor or otherwise.

I don't follow baseball much hence my statement and curiosity about his stats.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    I was looking at his career stats nothing seems impressive to me he is nowhere near 3000 hits or 500 hr and he is 31 years old. He also has never won a World Series championship.

Am I missing something I mean people seem to think he is the best baseball player of this generation.

Mike Trout will most likely not end up with all time great counting stats. He will turn 32 this season and it sure seems like an old 32. he has not played a full season since 2016, and I doubt he will gain durability as he progresses further into his 30's. The back condition also doesnt seem to be conducive to a long career.

I think part of what happened with Trout is that traditional counting stats were beginning to be replaced by more advanced metrics. WAR was one of the first to gain acceptance. Trout got a very nice positional adjustment for playing CF. As I have written before, he was passable at CF for a few seasons, but he has not been a good or even average CF for quite some time. He should have been moved to LF years ago, but he continues to get the positional adjustment even though he is below average defensively. (Derek Jeter light)

He also had a very good walk rate. This of course helped his ops, ops+ greatly. I have, however, noticed a big shift in Trout in the last 3 seasons. He is sacrificing OBP for SLG. I dont know if this is purposeful or if his bat is slowing a bit and he has to load up more and not let the ball get to him as quickly. but, here are his OBP and SLG for the first 9 years of his career: OBP .419, SLG .581

Here they are for the last 3 seasons: OBP .391 SLG .622

A significant reduction in walks but a significant increase in slugging.

As a result of swinging for more power, his K rate has gone up as well, from 26% to 31% over the same time period.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

Injuries have certainly cut into his counting stats. Him being pitched around have also cut into his counting stats.

Forget for a moment that hit totals is an awful way to measure a batter.

Forget for a moment that there are better ways to measure a hitter than hit totals and home run totals only.

Looking through the lens of future counting career totals and their age and potential for totals here are some comparisons:

Though age 30 Mike Trout has 1,543 hits and 350 Home Runs

Through age 30 Reggie Jackson had 1,292 hits and 282 home runs.
    Mike Schmidt had 1,104 hits and 283 home runs
    Winfield had 1,399 hits and 204 home runs
    Eddie Murray had 1,679 hits and 275 home runs
    George Brett had 1,676 hits and 150 home runs

Trout still has a chance to put up gaudy counting numbers. He won't get 3,000 hits because he gets walked so often. 500 home runs is very likely. Without the seasons lost to injury/covid he would be over 400 already.

The shift ban will add a little to counting stats too.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question:how do you know thisistheshow is way out of the baseball loop
    Answer:this is the first time he heard the expression "counting numbers" lol

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said

As a result of swinging for more power, his K rate has gone up as well, from 26% to 31% over the same time period.

I see this as a positive for him. He doesn't steal bases any more, so the better way of getting into scoring position would to be hit doubles (or home runs).

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said

I see this as a positive for him. He doesn't steal bases any more, so the better way of getting into scoring position would to be hit doubles (or home runs).

I'm taking the over on home runs for him this year. Last I saw it was 37.5.

He hit 40 last year in only 438 AB.

Elite!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    Injuries have certainly cut into his counting stats. Him being pitched around have also cut into his counting stats.

Forget for a moment that there are better ways to measure a hitter than hit totals and home run totals only.

Looking through the lens of future counting career totals and their age and potential for totals here are some comparisons:

Trout still has a chance to put up gaudy counting numbers. He won't get 3,000 hits because he gets walked so often. 500 home runs is very likely. Without the seasons lost to injury/covid he would be over 400 already.

just for accuracy, Trout will turn 32 in 4 1/2 months.

I think with age and injury concerns, we have already seen the best of Trout. I would be very surprised if he ended up being a player who went until 40

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said

I agree with you. it seems pretty clear the speed part of his game is over. I think that hitting with power is a more important skill than being really good at walking.

I just dont know if it is a deliberate change of philosophy or if the bat is starting to slow and he finds himself swinging more from the heels with less strike zone control.

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said

I'm taking the over on home runs for him this year. Last I saw it was 37.5.

If he stays healthy I think 40 HR is a safe bet

@craig44 said:

I think with age and injury concerns, we have already seen the best of Trout. I would be very surprised if he ended up being a player who went until 40

He has about 4 3/4 years of baseball before he turns 35. Performance wise those(5) years should be pretty safe bets. I would say he has a legit shot to be at 500 home runs at that point. His power is legit. His home run rate has been ticking up.

After that it could go either way and decline could happen fast .

Then as he gets older and becomes easier to get out he will get more opportunities to hit home runs as his percentages decline....kind of like Pujols.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

if I don't receive a clear-cut explanation pretty soon for these bountiful Trout emasculation discussions, I'm just gonna take it upon myself to assume that he, Trout, slept with count's significant other

@craig44 said:

He is signed through age 38(turns 39 later that year) at 37 million. I agree that will probably be his last contract. Whether he is still actually playing on the field by that time is iffy.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, Trout can't seem to stay healthy so I don't think you can accurately predict anything for him either for a season or the rest of his career. Actually, you probably can bet your house on Trout playing fewer than 140 games this season.

Having watched many of this at bats, it seems to me that Trout's bat has slowed a little and he is looking to hit for more power which has lead to an increase in strikeouts.

Robb

Trout batted second almost all of last season. When they find viable options to bat first or second, then Trout will end up hitting fourth(with an OBP decline) and his back of the card numbers are going to increase with more RBI as he gets pitched around less and he hits a ton of home runs. Some of his current naysayers may end up liking that better.

Trout batted second almost all of last season. When they find viable options to bat first or second, then Trout will end up hitting fourth(with an OBP decline) and his back of the card numbers are going to increase with more RBI as he gets pitched around less and he hits a ton of home runs. Some of his current naysayers may end up liking that better.

He'll very likely stay at 2nd. Thats the new trend to get your best hitters hitting at the top of the lineup with the chance it may get them an extra at bat at the end of the game. A lot of teams have started to do that

Can't for the life of me understand why he's not batting 3rd with Ohtani batting clean up.

Not sure about any OBP decline though, if he can keep slugging at or near .600, he's going to walk a lot, maybe even more.

We'll see.

@Basebal21 said:

He'll very likely stay at 2nd. Thats the new trend to get your best hitters hitting at the top of the lineup with the chance it may get them an extra at bat at the end of the game. A lot of teams have started to do that

I don't like the new baseball trends.
    Seems you can get guys at the top of the order more at bats by scoring more runs easier than by moving him up one spot in the lineup.

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

I don't like the new baseball trends.
    Seems you can get guys at the top of the order more at bats by scoring more runs easier than by moving him up one spot in the lineup.

The top of the lineup will still get more at bats no matter what from just the order. Moving a guy to leadoff or 2nd does hurt their RBIs but when theyve already been paid its not a huge issue. The Yankees put Judge at the top trying to help him get to 70 Hrs, Tatis and Acuna hit leadoff when they would have been 3 or 4 hole hitters traditionally etc.

Some teams take it to an extreme which makes no sense putting a slow guy at the top, but the 2 spot does make sense. You can still have a big time hitter protecting them at 3, hopefully the leadoff gets on and so on. Unless theyre insanely fast I dont like the leadoff move, but 2 or 3 makes sense. If you dont have someone elite at 2 you wouldnt really want your best player at 3 if the 2 is just going to ground into double plays all day long

The prevailing opinion was always to put your best "hitter" in the 3 spot and your best "slugger" batting 4th.
    Silly me thinking about scoring runs and winning games when the new way to do things is to bat players earlier in the lineup to help with their individual statistics.
    How many more at bats is a #2 guy going to get than a #3 anyway?
    Also if a guy breaks down a lot, maybe it's better to bat him 4th so he gets less at bats and maybe is a little more rest.

@JoeBanzai said:

The prevailing opinion was always to put your best "hitter" in the 3 spot and your best "slugger" batting 4th.
    Silly me thinking about scoring runs and winning games when the new way to do things is to bat players earlier in the lineup to help with their individual statistics.
    Also if a guy breaks down a lot, maybe it's better to bat him 4th so he gets less at bats and maybe is a little more rest.

In the Angels case last year #2 had 17 more plate appearances than #3 and then 32 more than the cleanup hitter. Not a huge difference. Could matter a hair.

Last year's Angels lineup was filled with Leury Garcia type production...and I still scratch my head wondering why people didn't understand why they lost with Trout and Ohtani.

Numbers 6-9 all had OPS in the .500's. Their cleanup slot was .737 just a bit above the whole MLB average.

The Angels have an actual MLB power hitter to bat cleanup this year, unless they trot Rendon out there again. Renfroe has averaged 30 HR for his last three(non covid) seasons.

Drury is a good addition too...but a career year concern still looms.

Trout and Ohtani have to bat second and third. Renfroe doesn't get on enough to go any higher in the lineup. Even he is best suited hitting 5th.

Unless Renfroe craps the bed with men on base hitting he should have a lot of RBI this year....there is a good fantasy pick right there for mid rounds.

@JoeBanzai said:

In the Angels case last year #2 had 17 more plate appearances than #3 and then 32 more than the cleanup hitter. Not a huge difference. Could matter a hair.

Last year's Angels lineup was filled with Leury Garcia type production...and I still scratch my head wondering why people didn't understand why they lost with Trout and Ohtani.

Numbers 6-9 all had OPS in the .500's. Their cleanup slot was .737 just a bit above the whole MLB average.

The Angels have an actual MLB power hitter to bat cleanup this year, unless they trot Rendon out there again. Renfroe has averaged 30 HR for his last three(non covid) seasons.

Drury is a good addition too...but a career year concern still looms.

Trout and Ohtani have to bat second and third. Renfroe doesn't get on enough to go any higher in the lineup. Even he is best suited hitting 5th.

Unless Renfroe craps the bed with men on base hitting he should have a lot of RBI this year....there is a good fantasy pick right there for mid rounds.

Renfroe is pretty much hit or miss but should have some good power and play good defense. Drury I'm not a fan of, hes an upgrade for that but thats a pretty low bar to get over. If they have their way Rendon should be in the 3 hole with Renfroe in the 4 hole.

What has really shocked me the most is why anyone was even pitching to Trout and Othani with the terrible lineups theyve had around them last year. Unless I'm up by several ones I'm walking both of them every time and making Walsh or Ward try and beat me. Trout and Othani had basically half their HRs and 1/3rd of their RBIs last year

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

All you have to do to get back in the loop is tell everyone you’re going to take a ‘deep dive’ into the stats. All the cool sports dudes are saying it. Of course they’re the ones who were saying ‘let’s don’t go down that rabbit hole’ like it was the coolest phrase ever.
    But the best ever was when Aaron Rodgers worked ‘woke’ and ‘cancel culture’ into the same sentence.

BTW I’m talking about sports guys on TV using those dumb phrases not guys here.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

All you have to do to get back in the loop is tell everyone you’re going to take a ‘deep dive’ into the stats. All the cool sports dudes are saying it. Of course they’re the ones who were saying ‘let’s don’t go down that rabbit hole’ like it was the coolest phrase ever.
    But the best ever was when Aaron Rodgers worked ‘woke’ and ‘cancel culture’ into the same sentence.

BTW I’m talking about sports guys on TV using those dumb phrases not guys here.

I'm definitely a deep dive kinda guy, but not when it comes to baseball stats...unless we're talking Jim Rice...😜

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess I thought 31 years old was past his prime but he may very well get to 500 HR +.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Guess I thought 31 years old was past his prime but he may very well get to 500 HR +.

He's got a realistic shot at 700 let alone 500.

i just dont see how he stays healthy enough to get to 600 let alone 700. I mean, he would have to duplicate everything he has done to now to get to 700. I dont see him getting enough ABs to do so.

@craig44 said:
    i just dont see how he stays healthy enough to get to 600 let alone 700. I mean, he would have to duplicate everything he has done to now to get to 700. I dont see him getting enough ABs to do so.

He could easily mix in a couple of 50 HR seasons especially this year. The new pitch clock is so short pitchers are going to get gassed faster especially in the heat of August. 15 seconds just isnt long enough for such a long season. Even in college its 20 seconds

Until someone is at like 690 700 is always a long shot. Hes the only one with a chance anytime soon and he does have a shot at it but no I wouldnt bet on it happening for anyone

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

His home run rate is way up. He hit 40+ twice in the last four years and a 50-hr pace in 2020.

I'm not saying he'll get to 700 but it's certainly plausible.

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

He could easily mix in a couple of 50 HR seasons especially this year. The new pitch clock is so short pitchers are going to get gassed faster especially in the heat of August. 15 seconds just isnt long enough for such a long season. Even in college its 20 seconds

Until someone is at like 690 700 is always a long shot. Hes the only one with a chance anytime soon and he does have a shot at it but no I wouldnt bet on it happening for anyone

anything is possible. he has never hit 50 in a season. career high of 45 4 seasons ago. I would be shocked though if he were to add a couple of 50 HR seasons now that he is into his 30s and so injury prone. If he did, it would certainly elevate his chances to get to 6 or 700 home runs.

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

anything is possible. he has never hit 50 in a season. career high of 45 4 seasons ago. I would be shocked though if he were to add a couple of 50 HR seasons now that he is into his 30s and so injury prone. If he did, it would certainly elevate his chances to get to 6 or 700 home runs.

He had 40 in a 119 games last year. Homeruns are going to increase with the pitch clock, especially with the juiced balls MLB uses in the regular season. If he can get close enough hell get even more juiced balls like Judge got for several weeks when they were trying to get him the record

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's absurd to think that teams pitch around Trouty. If anything, they sandbag early in the game, setting him up and waiting for the opportunity to unleash the proper pitch sequence, and then go right after him when they need the easy out, hence the mountain of late game strikeouts.

Unless you're telling me that Trouty, "the greatest player of his generation", loses his batting eye late in the game, he's not swinging and missing at balls off of the plate. They're throwing strikes, and Trouty can't do a thing about it.

For a guy whose whole reputation supposedly rests on his incredible ability to get on base at a rate much, much better than his peers, it is laughable how late in games when the Angels need a baserunner to extend the game, not only does Trouty not find a way to get on base, he can't even find a way to make contact and put the ball in play.

You can tell who actually watches games, and who only watches highlights.

@countdouglas said:
    It's absurd to think that teams pitch around Trouty. If anything, they sandbag early in the game, setting him up and waiting for the opportunity to unleash the proper pitch sequence, and then go right after him when they need the easy out, hence the mountain of late game strikeouts.

s.

He did lead the league in Intentional Walks three years in a row from 2017-2019 and he missed 98 games during that span lolololol.

Maybe you should watch more golf...that is a tad easier to understand....because after watching all those games on the MLB package, there is a lot missing from your understanding of the game.

PS...I've watched and played countless and countless baseball games...so nice try....and your premise above is just patently ridiculous about the sand bagging...and wrong about the "mountain of outs," lmao.

Then Brett has a pretty large mountain of late game outs himself to go along with his 1,065 bases empty singles that were 'meaningless' per your criteria on base on balls.

Maybe dissecting Tiger Woods golf score is more up your alley. Give that a try.