Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any chance? PSA 9? 10?

Pretty nice card from a Just Collect auction a while back. I liked how it filled the holder. Corners, surface, edges look great on front. A micro touch to lower right on the reverse of the card. Also not sure if the image has a tilt, going by the bottom edge relative to Bob Chance, and on left border on the reverse.

Percent chance of a 9?
Percent chance of a 10?

Crack or cross? Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike
Bosox1976

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better lighting…

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty. Congrats.

I've cracked and crossed some 10s from this company. None came back 10s, FYI.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

Too many print dots in the black for a 9 or 10.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:
    Better lighting…

Looking at that card I thought it did not look right . Maybe it is because it has been more than 30 yrs since I really handled and collected that era. It does seem very light in color. Maybe it is the lighting. The bottom right side edges look a little rough also.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 8:44AM

I would guess 5% 7, 70% 8 2% 8.5 13% 9.

I echo that it is a beauty.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is something going on around the T.C.G. In the copyright area on back? It kind of looks like a light wax stain.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Just noticed a "line" under "OUTFIELD"...on reverse...what is that?

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 9:59AM

Stain or shadow on the back??? I too also see the line under OUTFIELD. Scratch, wrinkle or slight cut in the card?? I would leave it in the current holder if any of that is on the card.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 10:09AM

I would be hesitant about purchasing cards/packs encapsulated by GAI w/serial # beginning w/104xxxxx

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're as good as they come with a card in your hand Mike, so i trust what you see with your own eyes more than any scan.

Something i believe, and no one will ever convince me otherwise, is that if you want any card to have a fair and unbiased assessment, it has to be cracked. That being said, I am in no way saying to crack it out because most of the time when someone is contemplating that decision (cracked or cross) they probably have a fair amount of money already into the card, and that makes cracking it out a risky proposition (not due to possibly damaging the card).

If you review and use 9 as your minimum I believe it will get returned to you, and i believe that not because of the card's attributes.

If you crack it out, and it grades, I would temper my expectations and be thinking:

PSA 7.5 or lower - 14%
    PSA 8 - 40%
    PSA 8.5 - 40%
    PSA 9 or above - 1%

Good luck my friend.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I don't like the upper edge. Back photo shows possible chipping on the center upper edge.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

No chance at a 10.
    Very little chance at a 9.
    I would guess an 8 that "should" get an 8.5, but PSA doesn't seem to give out the .5 very often in my experience.
    There have been examples of cards that get a "better" grade than they "deserve".
    If you simply MUST have it in a PSA holder, it could possibly get a 9 if you get lucky or if you cracked it out and resubmitted it a few times. I am not sure if that is even an option anymore with them scanning every card.
    Beautiful card in any case!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

The thing by outfield is just a faint scratch on the holder. The thing by TCG/copyright must be lighting related. When zooming in there is kind of a cross hatching design on the whole card - sort of like the 1968 “burlap” look. Was that how these came out of packs?

Thanks for all of the comments.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 11:41AM

PSA10 - 0%, Probably less.
    PSA9 - 10%
    PSA8 - 50%
    PSA7 - 25%
    PSA6 - 10%, spider wrinkles catch-all applies.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:
    Too many print dots in the black for a 9 or 10.

I agree.
    And as @pdoidoi mentioned, the color is off or it's faded or it's surface issue or ???
    I can forgive the OPC-style rough cut on the right edge.
    I would say 7, maybe 7.5 because of centering, based on the pics.

This PSA-9 example below has bolder colors, but very unappealing print issues in the black area next to Chance, in the sky, in the name John, and on Bob Chance's face.
    So just when you think you know what it should grade, you really don't, and that is an issue.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like an 8 or 8.5, if they still give out halves.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Nice card.
    Yes maybe a shot at a 9.
    Most likely a super nice 8

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I'll say 8 also. snow and not 50/50 left to rt. Plus Johns rookie might be graded a little tougher. Nice card.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card. Looks like a solid shot at PSA 9 if you crack it. Downside looks like a PSA 8 due to slight chipping on top edge. I think you are better off in a PSA holder long term, so long as you don’t have too much invested in the GAI “perfect” grade. I would crack and sub to PSA personally, given the markets skepticism on GAI material. I say 50/50 on PSA 9 vs. PSA 8.

• Options

Thanks for the thoughts, all. I got it for a little more than a PSA 8. Would be way ahead with a 9, and a little behind with an 8 plus regrading.

It’s kind of just on that line where it’s not clear what to do, so I appreciate the input.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

The problem is many here think it is a PSA 8, maybe, just maybe a PSA 9 and even many saying PSA 7. After reading about all the grading being done lately it appears that PSA has gotten much much tougher to get a good high grade. We are seeing PSA 5 that look like PSA9 and PSA 9 that look like PSA 5.
    I have not graded any cards in a few years and now I'm afraid because the cards may get graded to low but truly deserve to be higher. I want the highest possible grade for my cards just like anyone else does but feel not is the time to grade.

• Options

It is a very nice looking card . Good luck, hope you get the grade you feel it deserves.