Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID'ing ancient Greek coins

Ancient Greeks. I think I read there are over 40,000 different types? oofda...

I've got a few here I'm curious about. I think they're Greek.

1. I can't find "POYHPOC" anywhere.

Looking forward to learning how to ID these... I've got around 80 more on the way :D

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx That's an excellent description of the attribution process, an easy-to-follow, step by step description of how you do it and I've learned from it.
    My first impression of the last coin was that the reverse looked like the eagle used on the bronze issues of Egypt but, I can clearly see Pegasus. When the detail gets so uncertain, one can start to see patterns that don't exist. What's that called? I've forgotten.
    I also used to be pretty good with the more common Roman portraits but I've forgotten some of that from lack of practice, too. I dabbled in ancients and World coins for a decade about 30-40 years ago but became more active in currency. Both ancients and certain world coins still fascinate me and I'd like to become more involved again. Time seems to be the limiting factor.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Coin 1: this is a Roman Provincial coin - the language is Greek, but the portrait and titles on the obverse are of a Roman emperor.

I was wondering about that. It's odd to me that it isn't on wildwinds. No catalog number. That reverse on the Commodus is the only one anywhere, yet has a different emperor on the obverse? Is that unusual?

Coin 2:

Sure enough, there's a coin with this exact design in Wildwinds. Done. So your coin is: Rhegion, Bruttium, medium bronze, circa 270-203 BC, obverse Apollo, reverse RHGI-NWN to either side of lyre.

Impressive.

Once again, thanks a million. I appreciate you taking the time to talk me through your process B)