Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Looking for guidance on $1 with missing serial no.

Hello,

I picked up this $1 at a bank in 1985. I had it framed as a joke in my small business.

I have not been able to find any info on the value of this type of error.

Any tips, info is much appreciated.

Thanks,

M./

Best Answers

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this appears to be a underinked second? printing. You can see the outline of the "F" district seal, meaning that this printing stage wasn't missed but it looks like that there was zero ink on the plate.
    The value is likely somewhere in the hundreds of dollars. Look at Heritage paper money archives for recent sales of the same type of error.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

This happens to be a $20 missing the 2nd print (face) to show what’s involved in the 3rd print.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

In regard to value, I believe that you'd have to see how it was matted. If there is glue or tape on that note, or if it has faded, that will have a serious impact on value.

• Options

Personally and respectfully, I wouldn’t sell it.
    I still have mine, and have never thought of selling it. I was 19 at the time so please forgive my spelling of the word “professional.”

Answers

• Options

I agree with Russell but would say it’s the third (overprint) print that was under inked.

• Options

Thanks for these replies; they are much appreciated.

Aren't there two plates that were not inked? The green serial no. and the one that does the black seal?

As you can tell, I am just a layperson on this topic.

Thanks,

M./

• Options

Okay, I didn't realize they had two different ink colors on one plate.

Thanks,

M./

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Production methods have varied in recent decades. There was a time when serial numbers and seals (different colors) were done in different processes but for recent issues, seals and serial numbers are done in the same printing phase.

I believe that backs are printed first, faces second and overprint third contrary to my original statement. Thank you Steve for keeping it accurate.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Thanks for that comment.

I had a friend with a professional framing shop do the matting when he was doing up some posters for my audio shop. It was to take the place of the traditional "first dollar" that small businesses often tack on the wall behind the counter.

I am kind of torn about selling the bill as I like the joke it makes and don't have a pressing need to sell it.

From what I have gleaned, it is only worth somewhere around $100 at best.

If it were worth substantially more, then I would probably want to find it a new home.

I very much appreciate the comments on this thread.

Stay Safe!

Cheers,

M./

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2023 5:54AM

I'm not an error collector because prices can get crazy fast but this might be a four-figure-plus-note at the right auction. This looks like it could be a real trophy in a high end collection if presented correctly; graded and certified

The embossing of the seal and serial number seem quite deep but also rather broad, so I'd want that authenticated before those valuations could be anticipated and the CU grade confirmed.

Anyway you look at it, this is a home run note. Congrats