Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sealed box of 93 Fleer Ultra BB for my birthday

I finally pulled the trigger on a sealed box of series 1 1993 Fleer Ultra from eBay today. Planning to rip on 4/18.

By now the odds of a scoring kings without foil damage is getting low. Many of the cards had print defects and I've seen one error card of Jordan with Karl Malones name on the back (BGS 9, I think, went for $1400 a week or so ago). There are many which were printed very low.

Odds of a PSA10 quality card is very very low. Any of the 10 cards as a PSA10 cost over $1000 if you can find one.

Joe Dumars is the only card where a PSA9 will break even after grading costs and shipping. Jordan sells around $1500 as a 9 after everyone gets a cut.

The main reason is for a throwback feeling to Christmas in 1994 with my dad. Since his mind is gone then I'm going to open them with my uncle who inspired me to collect and gave me my first card.

We all likely know how this one is going to end. (Please not a resealed box with 0 scoring kings)

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully the box has been stored properly for these last 30 years and you don't end up with packs full of cards that are stuck together. Good luck.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent!!!!

I’m already looking forward to it!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you luck. Nostalgia is a very strong drug

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Wonder if it is worth buying some cheaper baseball from that year and trying the freezer or blowdryer trick since you still have a few weeks before your break. I opened lots of 90s Ultra, SP, Select etc about 15-20 years ago and some were bricks of cards even then.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. When did Scoring Kings tick up that much beyond Jordan? I totally missed that, as I recall having many in a box somewhere buried with junk wax...

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:
    Wonder if it is worth buying some cheaper baseball from that year and trying the freezer or blowdryer trick since you still have a few weeks before your break. I opened lots of 90s Ultra, SP, Select etc about 15-20 years ago and some were bricks of cards even then.

I need to do my homework. Now I think this may need it's own thread. Thank you for looking out!

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Wow. When did Scoring Kings tick up that much beyond Jordan? I totally missed that, as I recall having many in a box somewhere buried with junk wax...

When idiots like me decided we had to have the 10 card set. The 20 card set of 2013/2014 fleer ultra retro scoring kings are out of my league with PSA10 prices of $15k+ for MJ or LBJ and gobbs of cash for some of the others.

I think PSA7s of all cards, except MJ, Dumars, and maybe Shaq, aren't going to return anything after you cut your losses.

I hope for PSA10s eventually but I just want a nr/Mt set to start. I'm barely over halfway with my first goal.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Hopefully the box has been stored properly for these last 30 years and you don't end up with packs full of cards that are stuck together. Good luck.

This is something i think about when buying 90's cards. I buy a lot of 1996 atomic refractor basketball cards. 1) kobe is in the box and 2) the chance that the cards stick together. Can't be many mor nice ones out there, especially at a fair price.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think I could trust any of those 90s sets after buying both unopened boxes and just random lots where the cards were bricked together in both cases. Just not worth the risk for me.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.