Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I’m so confused! Where does Set Registry get its Pop numbers?

Here’s an example; My 1909 VDB proof in 66RB has a pop of 12 with two finer in RB, and yet in Set Registry it shows 12 with 35 finer. Even taking other colors into account, like for instance, there are 10 red coins and zero browns that would allow for a higher registry score, the numbers don’t make any sense. This is what I see:

So even taking color into consideration, I can only see 12 finer options in the population report. Where are the other 23 coins?

This isn’t the only example of this I’ve seen. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I have your answer and you're not going to like it. First of all, sweet rare MPL, congrats!

I have been complaining about this/lobbying for this to change for years and it has fallen on deaf ears. The way they have the registry set up for copper coins is that ALL RDs are perceived to be better than any RBs. In your example, in addition to the 2 RBs higher than yours, there are 33 RDs that are considered better as well (35 total). That's right, the 62RD is considered finer than your spectacular 66RB because it is RD!

I have several top pop RBs that are in this same scenario and it drives me nuts. I would reach out to the registry department. Perhaps if I'm not the only one that squawks, something might get done. Good luck.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aah, so it has nothing to do with registry points. I see. Literally a programming error that can’t be fixed. Nice.

This explains the sometimes 100’s of finer possibilities I see for all of my BN coins.

I guess it doesn’t really matter for the purposes of the registry. You still only suffer a 1 point deduction for the color loss in terms of competitiveness. I mean, for “common” coppers like these. Some issues have much higher RB and RD bonuses, for coins that simply don’t exist.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The important thing is that your certificate lookup does show the correct information. A super coin! Only 2 higher.

The registry population you show is misleading for sure and should be adjusted.

If it was corrected for the registry numbers to make sense just for registry points, it should only show the numbers of RB ABOVE your grade 66 and only the RD coins EQUAL to 66 or higher, a total of 11.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    The important thing is that your certificate lookup does show the correct information. A super coin! Only 2 higher.

The registry population you show is misleading for sure and should be adjusted.

If it was corrected for the registry numbers to make sense just for registry points, it should only show the numbers of RB ABOVE your grade 66 and only the RD coins EQUAL to 66 or higher, a total of 11.

It's no error, it's an implementation decision to rank/value 2 attributes, grade and color. The way it's done makes sense because any other implementation would make less sense. The finest cents are RD, so they must always rate higher than their more common and less desirable RB and BN counterparts.