Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Garbage slabs...A couple of "nice slabs" from Numismatic Grading Service

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Just for giggles, I'm posting this story. In going through that box of odds n' ends I mentioned earlier today here on the BB, I found these 2 treasures from years back. "Why did I ever buy them, you ask"? Too much partying, maybe??? πŸ˜‚

Actually, at the high school where I taught for 23 years, I started an after-school coin club and had a bunch of great kids!!! We had fun and learned a lot and I gave away a lot of foreign and minor U.S. coins to get them all started...coin holders and the like. Anyway, I found these 2 coins on eBay (many years ago I guess before the restrictions were placed on TPG companies) and decided to buy them (very cheaply) to teach the kids, "don't let this happen to you"! I've kept them all these years (probably because I'm too embarrassed to eBay them...even with NGS being blocked out of the listing.) On the other hand...that's a pretty sharp-looking label; even though everything ON the label is "they must be smokin' something" ridiculous. 😲

One has to wonder how many people got major-league ripped off. I didn't want it to happen to my high school kid collectors.

Piano1

Comments

• Options

Hey, Perry Hall.

Great idea. I bet CAC hasn't seen anything quite this "remarkable" in a very long time. They might just be getting a green football. πŸ˜‚

Piano1

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piano1 I collect slabs and will usually pick up these weird slabs to add to my "basement slabber" collection if they are cheap enough. Don't be ashamed to list them on ebay, someone like me will buy them.

If you do list them on ebay, you don't have to block NGS out of the listing, but you do have to list them as raw/uncertified and cover up the grade.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

Thanks, UpGrayedd. I have added your information to my list of things to do when listing other than the top 5 slabbers on eBay. Actually, I don't have too many from other than the big 5, but I got a chuckle out of the 2 1917 half dollars. Gramma must have forgotten her glasses when she went to work at NGS that day. 😁
    Piano1

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top 4... PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG... there was somebody who made a run at being #5 (they needed to have a verifiable search function), but never got approved.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Top 4... PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG... there was somebody who made a run at being #5 (they needed to have a verifiable search function), but never got approved.

SEGS is number 5.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

What about PCI? #6?

Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 6:26PM

I saw dealer at show who had some PCI he got off eBay for sale. An 1883-O Dollar in PCI 65 was priced at $225. An MS63 1881-S Dollar priced at $95.

He said β€œyou know I really like their grading. Back in the day people scrambled to buy them.”

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@BStrauss3 said:

SEGS is number 5.

In their dreams, and not fleaBay's - you can still only reference the four. When SEGS Inc. closed up on Friday, SEGS LLC opened on Monday and would no longer guarantee coins from "the prior ownership", they jumped the shark.

@SNMAN said:
    What about PCI? #6?

Which PCI? There at least six ownerships that I can trace, one of which was out and out fraudulent.

-----Burton
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I saw dealer at show who had some PCI he got off eBay for sale. An 1883-O Dollar in PCI 65 was priced at $225. An MS63 1881-S Dollar priced at $95.

He said β€œyou know I really like their grading. Back in the day people scrambled to buy them.”

He's right. And then they discovered market grading. Flushed their reputation down the commode with the Gold Box coins.

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file