Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Overton O-105 question. WhatIS this coin?

Hello, everyone.

At the suggestion of a helpful member, I have moved my question from the Question and Answer forum to the U.S. Coin Forum. My apologies to those of you who have seen this post before.

Years ago I bought "Early Half Dollar Die Varieties" just for fun. Looking at it now, I believe the coin below a O-105a, but I'm not quite sure. Neither description matches my coin in that mine has a large die crack running all the way at the top of STATES. On C-s2, my coin has the lump between ED in UNITED at the milling but it does not have a "break from the first S down through TA to base of second T". My coin has the "chip" between S and OF. I am wondering, is this an Overtion 105 and generally speaking, could mine be a progression of the die cracks beyond C-s2 with the long break above STATES, or and I trying too hard to figure out what this is?? 😮 Maybe it's just normal progression of a failing die? I don't understand this stuff well enough so your thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much!!!

Just for giggles, I'd go VG 10 on this one. What do you pros think??

Piano1

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 11:36AM

It's O-105. There is no die break between ED on the reverse, so this wouldn't qualify as 105a. And I think it should go F12, assuming no hidden problems.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustHalfBrian said:
    It's O-105. There is no die break between ED on the reverse, so this wouldn't qualify as 105a. And I think it should go F12, assuming no hidden problems.

I agree on both points.

Tom

• Options
    Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

BustHalfBrian and TPRC, thank you for sharing your skill and knowledge with me! I was rather pleased that at least I got the Overton number correctly but this 105a, and the Cs2 stuff is way over my pay grade!! I very much appreciate your guidance!!

Piano1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file