Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bad Pics or Bad Coin? Possible Counterfeit 1926 Mercury Dime on eBay

ShurkeShurke Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
edited March 16, 2023 11:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I looked through this seller's inventory. All his Mercs look just a little bit funky, which makes me think his photo setup is at least somewhat at fault. But the initials on this 1926 dime in particular look way off.

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 8:27PM

I suspect it’s just a cell phone picture that is enlarged too much. Some of my cell phone pictures get almost that kind of look when you blow them up like that. I didn’t realize until Mrs_Spud bought me a bigger iPad. All I had before was a phone and an iPad mini and they looked fine, but enlarged more and they come out over processed looking. Here’s an example
    Since then I usually just post side by side obverse and reverse images so the pictures don’t enlarge as much and they still look acceptable.

Mr_Spud

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I figured that was most likely the case. Wanted to run it by the board, just in case.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

In order to be fair to the seller, I think it would be best to remove the listing link from your initial post.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very odd looking details...

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, just cleaned and damaged. Looks like an ex-whitman folder coin from back in the day.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@MFeld said:
    In order to be fair to the seller, I think it would be best to remove the listing link from your initial post.

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

@burfle23 said:
    Some very odd looking details...

Agreed. The initials kinda look like they grew flippers.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shurke said:

@MFeld said:

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin is legit, but with plenty of marks on Miss Liberty's face and damage on the reverse. I'd hold out for a better coin since this is also a common date as I recall.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2023 7:08AM

Looks legit to me. A toner. Appears to be circ collector coin. Put it in 2x2. $5 coin?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file