Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about taxes and eBay vault

I was looking at an item on eBay tonight and it advertises "Send to the vault
When you purchase this item, you can save on sales tax and selling fees by keeping it in the eBay vault. Enroll to start saving."

I live in a state where we don't have such a thing as sales tax, but back when I lived in Oklahoma we were required to declare our purchases made online and out f state and pay a use tax on them, deducting the sales tax paid to other jurisdictions. Obviously this was difficult/impossible to enforce, but I was wondering if cards bought and sent to the Vault were legally subject to use tax.

I'm fully aware of the folly of soliciting tax advice from a bunch of anonymous strangers, but a) use tax doesn't apply to me and b) I'd want the card in hand anyway..

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 11:24AM

@daltex said:
    I was looking at an item on eBay tonight and it advertises "Send to the vault
    When you purchase this item, you can save on sales tax and selling fees by keeping it in the eBay vault. Enroll to start saving."

I live in a state where we don't have such a thing as sales tax, but back when I lived in Oklahoma we were required to declare our purchases made online and out f state and pay a use tax on them, deducting the sales tax paid to other jurisdictions. Obviously this was difficult/impossible to enforce, but I was wondering if cards bought and sent to the Vault were legally subject to use tax.

I'm fully aware of the folly of soliciting tax advice from a bunch of anonymous strangers, but a) use tax doesn't apply to me and b) I'd want the card in hand anyway..

"Use tax" isn't necessary if "sales tax" is charged on purchases. Since there is no "sales tax" in this case, the "use tax" would only apply if the item is housed or used in a state with "use tax" and apparently the vaults must not have any within their jurisdiction.