I had an idea and wanted some feedback. Even if the feedback is "stupid idea", I honestly want to hear it, although a suggestion to make it not stupid would be appreciated even more.
I've got a bunch of raw cards from the 60's through the junk era that I would have a hell of a time selling on ebay. And even the cards that I know would sell make me cringe at the thought of making a trip to the post office every day to spend $5 mailing a card I sold for $10. And, of course, trying to sell a card that's worth less than postage is an even bigger headache.
So, I'd rather sell them here, and I'm willing to factor in the aggravation avoidance that I'd receive, the ebay fees I wouldn't have to pay, the time I'd spend scanning, etc. and credit those monetary and emotional savings to the CU buyer.
My idea is to offer a lot of cards worth $150 for $100, shipping included. I'd pick the cards, subject to the following:
(1) The cards "worth" would be based on recent ebay sales, matching the condition as close as possible. I would not include Greg Morris auctions since those generally get premium prices based on the market's trust in Morris, which exceeds the trust they have in me.
(2) For common/minor star cards, the "worth" would be based on what lots of cards sell for, per card, from that given year. Meaning, while someone may have paid $5 for an EXMT card of Don Hahn from 1971, I would price it at 50 cents, or whatever EXMT lots of 1971 cards sell for per card. I do have some commons from the 1960's in very nice condition; I'll price those somewhere between the lot price and the single card price.
(3) Cards from the 1960's or early 70's could be commons, minor stars up to HOFers. As we move from there to the junk wax era, commons become more and more worthless. If I've got especially nice (gradable) commons from the later 70's or minor stars from the early 80's, I might include some of them, but from the junk wax era I would include nothing but notable rookie cards, and top-tier HOFers. This is NOT a trick to unload a bunch of, for example, 1987 Phil Niekro cards. From 1987, for example, you'd get only Bonds, McGwire, Larkin, Palmeiro, Canseco, Jackson, Clark and maybe Nolan Ryan or other highly collectible stars (or you might get no junk wax era cards at all).
(4) Absolutely no doubles.
(5) I don't recall off the top of my head if I have any cards with creases that might be included. If there are, then they will be star cards and they will be priced at VG, at best.
(6) Every lot would include a relatively even mix (by value, not by count) of older and newer cards ("older" here means 1973 or earlier). So you might, for example, get 40 "older" cards worth $75 and 60 "newer" cards worth $75. (Or you might get 10 older cards and 20 newer cards, if the lot is nothing but star cards.)
(7) If you have a favorite player or team, tell me when you order. I can't guarantee I have any cards of your favorite player, but if I do then I'll include some.
(8) Just to be perfectly clear, this is NOT a lottery type thing where one lucky buyer is going to get a Mantle Rookie. I am going to do my best to make the value of each lot the same and the composition of each lot similar.
(9) My goal here is to send you cards for $100 that you can immediately turn around and sell for more than $100, if you have the time and patience to break the lot into multiple lots and sell them on ebay. I am also hoping it sounds like fun.
(10) All of the above refers to baseball cards. I do also have a much smaller group of football/basketball/hockey (100% star cards, 99% from the 1980's - 1990's) that I could include, but only if the buyer wants me to.
(11) I have sold thousands of dollars worth of cards on this forum over the years, and I'm sure I'll try to sell thousands more in the future. I am going to do my best to pick cards that not only meet all of the conditions laid out here, but that will make the buyer happy and hopefully want to buy another lot, or at least post here about what a great deal they got. Whether this exercise is a failure or a success monetarily is not as important to me as my reputation as an honest seller/trader.
So, would anyone here be interested in a sale like this?
Alternatively, any suggestions for how I could tweak this, or any additional description/guarantee I could add that would make this offer more appealing? If there is interest, then I'll repost this as an actual "For Sale" thread, and my apologies if this thread violates the B/S/T rules but I didn't know where else to post it.