Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Strasburg superfractor

3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's everyone's opinion of the value of this card now versus several years ago when it was five digits?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you asking as a seller or a buyer? IMHO as a buyer I would not invest in Strasburg. The Nationals have been very cautious with him and have given him plenty of time to come back and he still can't stay healthy.

I read an article recently stating his and Corbin's contracts both ranked in the top 5 of current worst out there.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the current owner - how much of a haircut will you take selling it now - can't imagine its even a $1000 card now.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    As the current owner - how much of a haircut will you take selling it now - can't imagine its even a $1000 card now.

Right, but 1k now might be $300 in another year or two. Take the buyout now…..

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

didnt the guy from radicards own it at one time? maybe he still does.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Here is a link to Radicards YouTube video

@Cakes said
    I read an article recently stating his and Corbin's contracts both ranked in the top 5 of current worst out there.

How many GM's would gladly take that, given both contributed to a W.S. win in 2019.
    As a Giants Fan, Barry Zito's contract didn't live up to the hype, but we won 2 WS Championships with him on the roster, and he was a big part of the 2012 WS victory.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 10:13AM

Worth it to sell to offset other gains for taxes. Would imagine whomever owns it made out elsewhere and recoup a third of the loss that way.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevebay said:

@craig44 said:

@Cakes said

How many GM's would gladly take that, given both contributed to a W.S. win in 2019.
    As a Giants Fan, Barry Zito's contract didn't live up to the hype, but we won 2 WS Championships with him on the roster, and he was a big part of the 2012 WS victory.

You make a valid point. A key difference is the Giants won 3 WS and the Nationals only 1. For the amount of talent they had the Nationals should have at least gone to a couple more.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

@stevebay said:

@craig44 said:

@Cakes said

Is it sad that I don't care about the Strasburg card, but dearly miss those mailers that you can actually open up without destroying? The adhesive they use now is ridiculous!

Interesting too how he shares the history and costs, until what he had to pay for it.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Worth it to sell to offset other gains for taxes. Would imagine whomever owns it made out elsewhere and recoup a third of the loss that way.

Please. Don't try that without a tax professional. Who knows, a really good one might be able to make that stick at the inevitable audit.

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

"For the amount of talent they had the Nationals should have at least gone to a couple more."

Seriously. They were stacked.

Investing in pitchers is always a scary proposition for me. They seem to not sell well even if they have a great career.

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2023 10:24PM

What was the nature of the negative hobby feedback Powers got when he bought the card?

• PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

I'd be a buyer at $1k or less for the 2010 Bowman Chrome Super base or Auto easily. Sure, he wont be a HOF player but he is a World Series MVP. Nationals history wont forget him.