Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bust Half Overton Help

Good morning,
I purchased a few bust halves and would really appreciate some help identifying the Overton variety. It is an 1836 type 1. Edge lettering from 12 o’clock reads “ O X HALF A DOLLAR FIFTY CENTS” . I don’t know if any of that matters for variety attribution or not… Thanks in advance! And I’ll get pics of the next one posted as soon as it arrives.

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

The edge lettering error is quite common and has nothing to do with the die marriage, It looks like Overton 107--an R-4 DM though.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this is something you would be interested in, but there is a free website called Dave's Bust Half Dollar Site. It contains pictures , written descriptions, & a die marriage identification formula that will allow you to attribute any Bust Half. James

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

@OKbustchaser said:
    The edge lettering error is quite common and has nothing to do with the die marriage, It looks like Overton 107--an R-4 DM though.

This is correct. O-107, and it looks like a pretty late die state.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a comparison of the O-107 obv provided by Dave's website and your coin's obv. Go to the site and compare your coin to the 107 or others as you choose. Great website.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Thank you everyone. I am mostly a dime collector so I really appreciate the help!

Just checked out the site and think I found my next coin to be an 1826 O-113? Thanks for helping me learn how to fish 😀 Hate to sound dumb, but all the varieties still kind of look the same to me. I’ll definitely need some more practice, but at least now I have a great resource. Thanks!

• TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaveZoll said:
    Thank you everyone. I am mostly a dime collector so I really appreciate the help!

Just checked out the site and think I found my next coin to be an 1826 O-113? Thanks for helping me learn how to fish 😀 Hate to sound dumb, but all the varieties still kind of look the same to me. I’ll definitely need some more practice, but at least now I have a great resource. Thanks!

It looks like the O-114. I base that on the T/I alignment and the 7th and 13th star location.

Shiny things distract me.

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 5:56PM

It is 114. (Same obverse die as 113)

For a new collector you have some uncommon die marriages.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file