Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 T1 Buffalo DDR. Are there chronological orders of the die states

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 13, 2023 6:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In photo format? I’m curious to see the die progression from first strikes with it vs final strikes.

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭

To what denomination of coin are you referring? My first thought was nickel, but I don't see a DDO listed on CoinFacts. It appears the only major varieties recognized by PCGS are the 2 1/2 Feathers and a DDR. So unless the DDO you're referring to is from a different series with at least 2 types in 1913, or the DDO is a minor variety unrecognized by PCGS, then I'm stumped.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustHalfBrian said:
    To what denomination of coin are you referring? My first thought was nickel, but I don't see a DDO listed on CoinFacts. It appears the only major varieties recognized by PCGS are the 2 1/2 Feathers and a DDR. So unless the DDO you're referring to is from a different series with at least 2 types in 1913, or the DDO is a minor variety unrecognized by PCGS, then I'm stumped.

Typo. Lol. DDR Buffalo.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 4:43PM

The only die stage progression I have seen can be viewed looking through attributed examples on coinfacts. Late die stage has a distinct crack in the V of five that eventually creeps out of the top of the F towards the Buffalos mouth.

Beware of several other die cracks in the same place but have a different path.
    There are 3 trick diagnostics on the real ddr that can be found on other non ddr varieties.

This is a hard to find variety. Happy hunting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file