Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Collector Poll: Which do you enjoy most?

Hi everyone,

First I want to thank Zardoz and FB for their kind words to me the other day after my soapbox tirade!!!

Ok...I'm curious about this. Like any hard-core (totally obsessed) collector I love to find great cards already graded by PSA. Either on eBay or at a show! However, the sense of achievement seems greater to me when I actually find a "raw" card and have a graded myself. There's nothing to me more satisfying then getting my own cards graded.

My recent completion of my 1970 Kellogg's Football set is a prime example...more than 60% of those cards were purchased ungraded and I sent them in myself. For some reason the joy of seeing a MINT 9 card that I submitted myself gives me a greater sense of achievement then purchasing an already graded MINT 9. Silly, huh?

How do the rest of you feel? Or, does it really matter? I guess that is one of the beautiful things about the hobby and this registry!

Thanks for reading everyone!!!
Proud owner of the finest 1972 Topps Football high-number set!!!

Comments

• Options
    I have to agree with you completely that I get much greater joy out of receiving a 9 back from PSA than I do in purchasing one already graded. Unfortunately, there aren't many quality shows in my area (New Orleans), and most of the shops have very little vintage material. As a result, I'm usually forced to rely on the vast number of 9's I buy on eBay and other sites to quench my "hunger".
  • Options
    I have not submitted anything to PSA before, but understand the thrill of getting a card back from PSA. Because you feel as though you are the original owner (even though it may have pass through other hands). But you are the first to hold that card in the slab.

To me, it's more economical to puchase cards that are already graded, especially with vintage. Since most vintage cards have already pass through other owners, I want to know what I buy is worth the money, and not a trimmed or altered card. Not to mention the popular suspicion "if this vintage card can grade an 8, then why didn't the seller have it graded already?"

To me, the thrill of collecting does not deminish with buying graded cards. Because I feel it's just as hard looking for the graded card in a desired grade. For example, it's just as difficult to find a PSA 7 of a certain card with centering that meets my standard, as I can't afford a PSA 8 and a PSA 6 would not meet my criteria for a particular set.

Just my 2 cents
    Fred
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    NO QUESTION WHATSOEVER!!

Buying on eBay or seeing that invoice number FINALLY pop up after typing it in 12 times a day for 7 or 8 straight days. When you start scrolling down and see 8, 8, 8, 9, 7, 8, 9, 8, 9OC, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, etc. how can you not feel like its Christmas!

Heck, I'll buy on eBay or straight dealer deals - but there is definitely a far greater satisfaction from knowing that you've done it yourself!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I have submitted a few raw 1951 Bowmans that received a rating of PSA 8. Those are definitely more fun to get than just purchasing one that is already slabbed. However, there aren't very many raw cards that qualify for PSA 8 and 9 from 50 plus years ago anymore that are still lying around.
  • Options
    I agree. I love getting a package mailed back to me by PSA, opening it up and seeing how I did.

Fresh, raw cards are getting tougher and tougher to find though, but a lot of the thrill is in the hunt.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I agree, I love being upset for three weeks straight wondering where my package is and why can't it ever be on time. I also love opening up the first box to find three qualified cards when I specifically asked for "no qualifiers". It really brings enjoyment and satisfaction when a handful of cards are graded "minimum size required" and then you have to call PSA to find out when are you getting the refund back. That is fun.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    Hey, it's still better than opening up a box of anything made by Upper Deck.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the rest of you, but until they started posting the grades online, opening a box from PSA was akin to a teacher handing back a test in school. My heart would beat and my hands would shake.

Maybe I'm just what they call a "nervous" person.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redheart - I'm with you! I wonder if they have help groups for us PSA grade result junkies? I could see myself someday submitting 1990 Topps commons in bulk just so I can get my grading fix! image
  • Options
    I would have to agree with most everyone else here that finding raw material and getting it graded is far more fun and satisfying than getting it already slabbed.... The coolest thing for me has been the 1969 Topps Decals which I have been building a set of... There is not a lot of graded material and I have had very good results with my submittals so far I have pulled 4 - PSA 9's , 7-PSA 8's 10- PSA 7's I still have trouble figuring out how I got the 7 's as I look at the difference but them and the 8's and I can not see it.... But the quest will go on....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I almost *NEVER* check my online submission status -- as opening up those brown-wrapper Registered Mail packages from PSA is almost as exciting as the care packages I would get sent from him when I was a teenager. Bottom line: nothing but good news. Some stuff may not be as magical/exciting as you expected, but you appreciate every last bit.

It is an amazing feeling as a collector to open up such a package and see what winnings you have inside!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Vargha,
    I agree with you , there arent too many raw 8's left in the 51B set around. Congrats on the few tough POP commons you just received. You will have a new set joining you soon. My buddy "Revere" I believe is down to 14 left. He has all the others in 8 and only 1-9. The 1951 Bowman set is one of my favorites to look at. The artwork is just great. Good Luck on the last few, there always the toughest.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

My vote would probably have to go to raw submittals.

Having said that, with very limited spending power, I can not afford to be "disappointed" with the results. My largest submission ever has been 25 cards, and when those cards come back lower than expected, I have to go look for an example already slabbed in the grade I want. Consequently, I have paid twice for one card, plus shipping, and trying to sell a PSA 5-7 common (in most 60's on Topps sets) is not too strong.

So I usually buy already slabbed cards, but I would love to send in 100+ cards, open the package and see the winnings.image
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    I totally agree with Frank. When I have a package at PSA, I check and check and check and check and check the website some more until the grades are posted. It is a nice feeling to look and see what that one tough card you submitted came back as, or the few nice cards that had a good shot at 8,9,10 came back as. Submitting is much better, although it is nice to buy a few cards image.

Ian
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Sure it's great to transform a card in an album into a low-population PSA 8 or 9, but for the 1950's collector like myself, it's mostly "5"'s or "7"'s. My beautifully centered, sharp-cornered 1957 cards often get "5"'s due to a small wrinkle or print line on the back. So it's PSA graded cards from auctions or shows for me.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I don't post very often but would still like to put my two cents in this. I am new to this side of collecting and have been unable to submit any cards yet due to paying for a wedding. I can understand the thrill of finding raw cards vs. buying graded cards. I guess it's akin to opening packs and finding that great card or insert you have wanted. I have several stacks of cards waiting be sent in....I can't wait to see if my eye is any good or not......Thanks

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    Vargha and Mantlefan...collecting my favorite set, 1956 Topps baseball, I have definitely encountered the difficulty you speak of in finding NM/MT raw stuff. But that makes the hunt, and the successful grading results that much more enjoyable.

The biggest advantage in hunting for 50's raw is that the gamble on the cost of buying and submitting is negated even if you do not have a "good eye" or 10x loupe when buying.

Here is how I acquired cards (started graded set 11/2000) ---
    Graded: 81 (ebay auctions)
    10 (from telephone and other auctions)
    46 (from fellow collector-includes grading co. crossovers)
    Total: 137
    Raw: 112 (found to be gradeable from childhood collection)
    36 (from fellow collector)
    22 (from card shows-includes other grading co.crossovers)
    25 (from reputable sellers on ebay-includes grading crossovers)
    Total: 205 cards [here is breakdown of submissions] :

PSA 9's - 3
    PSA 8's - 108 (53%)
    PSA 7's - 84 (41%)
    PSA 6's - 6
    PSA 5's - 2
    unholdered - 2
    Those percentages include my first inexperienced submission of 63 cards.

Anticipation of getting graded cards back is a total blast. And the total cost including grading fees and selling off PSA 7's or less comes to about 45% of SMR, which makes it that much more enjoyable.

I would like to start another set, but would have to sell this set in order to do that, and my passion for other sets is not as great, so I will probably just continue to upgrade if possible.

Long live the registry.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9