Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did someone deface the plastic or coin on this auction item?

WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 11, 2023 5:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am considering this coin for purchase at auction. Was just wondering if someone placed an arrow as a joke on the plastic holder. Don’t think it is on the coin as it would not have straight graded. What say you?

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's on the coin not the plastic. :/

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Might be pareidolia and not an actual arrow.
    2. Depending on the grade a small dark spot like that would allow for a straight grade.
    3. Hard to be sure from a photo, but I'm 90% sure it's on the coin as it does not extend past the edge of the coin but runs right up to the edge of the coin.
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Looks like it's on the coin not the plastic. :/

How is this possible?

• Options

What is pareidoila?

• Options

@Walkerlover said:
    How is this possible?

Could be a minor lamination or planchet impurity.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Walkerlover said:
    How is this possible?

Okay though for CAC you think?

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the GC website there is a link to ask GC a question about the item. I had the same question on another lot whether haze was on holder or coin and received a reply the next day. If the item is up tomorrow you may be out of luck.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Walkerlover said:
    How is this possible?

My first thought was a minor planchet lamination and the graders recognized it as a mint made blemish.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like its on the coin. There is a copper outline of the arrow shape and seems to curl up the rim. If it is truly on the coin, that would drive me crazy everytime i looked at it, being an MS66.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options

@Walkerlover said:
    Okay though for CAC you think?

CAC.... what's that? :D

Sorry, I'm not a CAC expert, you will need to wait for someone else to reply to that. ;)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's almost certainly part of the coin's surface and is not an arrow. It could be improper alloy purity, a tiny sport of corrosion or other schmutz. Regardless, I am pretty darn certain it is on the coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    It's almost certainly part of the coin's surface and is not an arrow. It could be improper alloy purity, a tiny sport of corrosion or other schmutz. Regardless, I am pretty darn certain it is on the coin.

Tom do you think I should pass on it because of this?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought is that was a carbon spot that someone tried to remove and it’s becoming more noticeable over time because they used a tool that make light abrasions. But my first thoughts aren’t always right.

Mr_Spud

• Options

Pass on it and look for others there are plenty of options for you. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1938+cent+ms66+-s+-d&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@TomB said:

Tom do you think I should pass on it because of this?

Since you have already noticed it and it concerned you enough to ask a question about it then, yes, I would suggest you pass on this particular piece and look for another. Since it is a fairly generic coin in a fairly generic grade there is a good likelihood that a satisfactory one will surface in reasonable time. This is especially true if you are simply looking for a type and not a particular date.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many clean MS66 RD 1938 Lincoln Cents out there. Cosider a pass on the one at auction.

Here is mine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file