Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(1836) Steam Coinage Medal- Is this one in original mint packaging? What era? 1970s?

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I can find these for a reasonable price I pick them up. I have several examples now but this is the first one I found for sale in I think original packaging. This one is definitely a late 20th century "restrike" but I'm curious is this how the mint packaged them. I'm thinking 1970s but not 100% sure. Anyone can confirm when this one was struck and is it in ogp? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I cannot confirm, that certainly looks like 1970s mint packaging for medals.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is as expected for US Mint packaging. I don't know of any way (or any reason) to distinguish between 1970s packaging versus 1960s or 1980s, etc.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one and I'd like to know the same thing. Mine's not in any packaging.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    That is as expected for US Mint packaging. I don't know of any way (or any reason) to distinguish between 1970s packaging versus 1960s or 1980s, etc.

Hi @jonathanb . I was thinking if someone could date the packaging, then I could know when it may have been struck. I know all the modern ones like this have a yellow bronze finish.

BTW, anyone know when the mint stop offering these for sale?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NumisOxide said:

@jonathanb said:

Hi @jonathanb . I was thinking if someone could date the packaging, then I could know when it may have been struck. I know all the modern ones like this have a yellow bronze finish.

BTW, anyone know when the mint stop offering these for sale?

Most probably, the mint did a press run of these at some point (1970s after the new mint in Philly opened) and they just stayed in inventory for a decade or two, being sold as there was demand.

I remember visiting the mint in 1973 or 1974 and they had a price list with various medals and all were in stock at the public sales counter. It was like this until the 1980s when they outsourced the sales counter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file