Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin dealers back in the good ole' days...

I'm ancient and just reminiscing a bit. When I started attending coin shows as a late teen in the late 1960's. I was always struck by the personalities of many of the dealers I met. Nice, jovial guys for the most part (and some had wives attending as well to help out). I always had a blast.

After the college collecting lull, marriage, parenthood, 6 years overseas (went to shows in Europe too in the 1980's), and then coming home and moving to New England in 1981, I fondly remember my coin show days and many a really great guy helping me out with my collection.

My fondest memories were of the really friendly guys, mostly notably overweight, having a substantial meat-filled and often "drippy") sandwich and a Coke at the tables and with a cigar close at hand. 😊 I don't know if things are still this way at shows nowadays. I haven't been for maybe 12 years or more. And now with Covid still in the shadows, my kidney transplant makes me "immuno-compromised" so crowded places are a no-no for me. I MISS those shows!

You collectors that still attend shows, are my warm memories of the dealers still accurate? (I guess now that smoking is banned in public places...THAT had to change) but I bet the good guys are still out there.

Piano1

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Cigars - Plenty of Mustard stains...

It's an inside joke. But yes - most are as described - friendly and helpful and a few Woman dealers you may have not seen in the past.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 2:44PM

It is so much better now.

Just imagine 50 years ago being a coin collector and thinking into the future.

Would you ever imagine a thing called the internet where you can buy coins from your home or cellphone anywhere, 7/24, from dealers anywhere in the the country and the coin would show up on your doorstep in a couple of days. So amazing.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    It is so much better now.

Just imagine 50 years ago being a coin collector and thinking into the future.

Would you ever imagine a thing called the internet where you can buy coins from your home or cellphone anywhere, 7/24, from dealers anywhere in the the country and the coin would show up on your doorstep in a couple of days. So amazing.

And we could write 14,543 messages to our friends. :D

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins cost a lot more.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows are still fun and the current technology is awesome. You can have a coin encyclopedia and marketplace right in your shirt pocket. 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file