Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Submission Advice on Washington Quarters

Looking for advice on how I should proceed. So I have been working on my Washington Quarters Registry Sets for years now. My sets have all the regular and proof issues along with some of the variety coins that are recognized by PCGS. The coins in my sets are all high grade in MS and Proof. The majority of the variety coins are MS along with some AU and just a couple circulated coins. Now I have additional 58 coins I want to send in to PCGS to have them in holders with the attribution noted. Out of those 58 coins 11 are in PCGS holders without attribution noted, 20 are NGC with 6 of them w/attribution and 14 without, 6 ANACS 5/with attribution and 1 without proceeded by 21 RAW coins with attribution (if my identification is correct). In these 58 coins 50 are silver and 8 are clad issues. I am asking for advice on how I should proceed with my submission. Please note I have not sent any coins into PCGS before. I cannot afford to do all at one time so I am thinking about 10 coins at a time. Should I send in coins that will complete some sets first or send in the ones with the highest value? Or should I send in by decades and complete the oldest ones first? Does PCGS ever offer discounts that will help with my decision? I have too many options to consider so looking for some guidance. I am looking forward to see what you have to say. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones already in PCGS holders can be submitted for reholder with variety attribution. That will save a little money vs regrade.
    Depending on the coins/varieties it might be more economical to find them already in PCGS holders if possible.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you like present grades in slabbed?
    1-PCGS unattributed ->send in slab for variety/reholder
    2-clads send as modern grading/variety
    3-raw send as grading/variety depending on value regular or economy
    4-NGC/ANACS I would probably crack and send raw grading/variety can go cross-over route but not sure if varieties covered

it is almost random on return times so I suggest sending a group every month or 2 or 3.... depending on how much is in your grading budget - you need to be member for submissions.

• Options
    CBTL2CBTL2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

Chris, I agree. I think the reholder with added attribution will be the best way to go with those and that would take care of 11 of them right away. A few of them will upgrade some I already have in the variety coins. Most of the 58 are harder to find in already slabbed holders. I have most of the common varieties that you typically see for sale.

• Options

Dave, I think you are right on 1,2 and 3 as for 4 cracking out might be the best option. I was told by one variety collector that it is best to send them in to be graded first. He said they tend to come back at the grade you expect. Then send them back to have the attribution added. He said he and others have found if you send them in for grading and attribution at the same time the grading tends to be more conservative. I don't know if it is true or not but I thought if that is the case maybe PCGS is trying to keep the higher populations on the variety coins a little more exclusive?

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

May be cheaper to buy ones that are already PCGS certified. Also check to make sure any varieties you want to send will be recognized by PCGS.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Gumby, The only variety coins I want are the ones recognized by PCGS. I have been looking for them already slabbed on a constant basis but they just don't appear that often or the prices are more than I am willing to pay. The ones I have to send in for attribution I picked up at affordable prices or cherry picked while hunting for them. It would be nice if PCGS would do the crossover and include the variety in the cost but they want the full cost to verify what has already been verified. I get that they have to take the time to make sure it is correct but at least give a break on the cost if they agree it is they same variety.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CBTL2 said:
    Dave, I think you are right on 1,2 and 3 as for 4 cracking out might be the best option. I was told by one variety collector that it is best to send them in to be graded first. He said they tend to come back at the grade you expect. Then send them back to have the attribution added. He said he and others have found if you send them in for grading and attribution at the same time the grading tends to be more conservative. I don't know if it is true or not but I thought if that is the case maybe PCGS is trying to keep the higher populations on the variety coins a little more exclusive?

I have heard the grade first and then variety re-holder later as well but never done it (yet). It would make sense for potential top pops worth multiples of the regular. Cost and time is what has held me back although paying variety first or second would be the same, only difference would be reholder (and additional shipping both ways plus imvoice). It also could put the first in economy and TrueView not needed yet.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a warning:

There have been several reports of PCGS missing obvious varieties that they attribute recently. Now may not be the best time to be sending a load of varieties to PCGS, especially when the final cost may be high.

Whatever your decision, best of luck to you!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

The already pcgs slabbed coins missing the variety on the labels, I would submit all together and just reholder and add the variety attribution on the form.

I would also submit all the other variety coins together on 1 form. Crack them all, submit raw under the “economy - non gold” tier and add variety box. Reason for this is #1 save money by not paying 1% crossover fees, and #2 if pcgs fails to recognize the varieties they will all be together on the same form. You can deal with customer service about the problem on just the 1 submission and not have to jump between forms/orders to resolve unattributed labels. It will save you multiple headaches if you have to re-send in the coins to get the labels corrected.

Then I would submit all the other regular coins raw (crack them), most likely under the same economy non gold tier just to keep the group together.

• Options

In the past year I have seen that PCGS offered a discount on crossing over slabs. Is that something they do often? What are some other promos they had available?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file