Home U.S. Coin Forum

A New Side Project - Proof Washington Quarters

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was partially inspired to begin to collect these proof quarters due to my crazy 1963 picked up from Ms. Sabel at the 2022 winter FUN show. I also recently acquired a neat coin from @lasvegasteddy 's collection (1950) he sold on GC. I figure that since this is a very long series, I can enjoy taking my time and to find colorful versions without regard for the grade. So, I'm sharing what I have so far in hope you'll find it visually enjoyable.

Do you have a side project you'd like to share here?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice start. I worked on a 1950-1964 toned proof set for a couple years. It was fun. I just couldn't see myself going after dates past 1964 though...although, I was tempted a few times. I miss some of those coins but have been able to buy two of my favorites back.

I focus on Mercury Dimes but do find myself with a few distractions. It can be difficult to stay focused sometimes when the coins just don't become available.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert: that's a very nice looking set! I've finished a slightly similar (though less ambitious) side project -- a complete set of silver proof Washington quarters, 1964 - 2022 in three Dansco albums. (along with a selection of MS and clad representatives) Though quite easy to assemble, It's actually a quite interesting set; it's particularly interesting to see the various (sometimes catastrophic!) fine-tuning of Washington's portrait.

Higashiyama
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember you picking up the 1963 from Ms. Sabel! Congrats on picking it up and starting the set!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on the set!

I had a number of these from the 1930s and 1940s that were original, high grade and attractively toned. They are out there, but they are tough with those criteria in place. Of course, the coins I had owned are now all dispersed to clients, but you might come across them or similar ones in the future.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Good luck on the set!

I had a number of these from the 1930s and 1940s that were original, high grade and attractively toned. They are out there, but they are tough with those criteria in place. Of course, the coins I had owned are now all dispersed to clients, but you might come across them or similar ones in the future.

I agree it's a tough set of criteria.

Do you have photos of your coins Tom? It would be great to see them!

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 10:51AM

@Catbert

Are you going to also add the 1965-1967 SMS Quarters? They can be found pretty colorful too.

Edited to add: Nice side project.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 10:55AM

Looks like a fun side project and that you have a good start on it. My current side project is a F-VF raw set of merc dimes that I am placing in an old Library of Coins album, only eight coins shy of complete. Not sure I'll ever want to pony up for the 16-D but time will tell. But aside from the 16-D, 21, 21-D and 42/1 each coin has been (or can be) bought for less than $5, so a cheap but fun set, and honestly I rarely buy coins that grade under XF so a different experience for me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf: wonderful set! Makes me feel very nostalgic.

Higashiyama
  • The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those quarters and I like those dimes! My side set has been Lincoln Proofs. Recently I've put aside a few gorgeously toned foreign coins.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    @Catbert

Are you going to also add the 1965-1967 SMS Quarters? They can be found pretty colorful too.

@MWallace said:
    @Catbert

I just plan on a date set. 🙂

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file