Options

2023 Topps Heritage Baseball

2»

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Those are amazing pulls guys. I always bear in mind when opening Heritage that it is definitely not the issue for big hits. It’s a set builders issue that has great tradition. But I wouldn’t think of it as disappointing if I don’t land any big hits. I love watching this thread and your set building quests. Fun to follow. Enjoy the ride!

John

Everybody craps on retail, but besides the 2 superfractors I’ve pulled 3 autos, including red ink I was able to trade for 13 cards from the 1941 play ball set, and a killebrew stamp card I was able to trade for a 56 Topps Jackie Robinson. All this while spending $200 or less per year on Heritage.

That is amazing, and what a great trade! I have had some nice 1/250's etc. but never the elusive superfractor. I want one so badly.

I do worry with Fanatics taking over Topps and now they are taking over PWCC. It could create a conflict of interest.
    I feel like the modern card market thrives off the fact that you can hit a card worth over a couple thousand dollars instantly. Will the majority of the rarest and most expensive cards somehow always seem to show up on PWCC auctions?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I'm curious, not having looked into the checklist, but did they do variations similar to the original set? San Diego variations, missing position (Alou), small/large font on one of the rookies, etc?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Those are amazing pulls guys. I always bear in mind when opening Heritage that it is definitely not the issue for big hits. It’s a set builders issue that has great tradition. But I wouldn’t think of it as disappointing if I don’t land any big hits. I love watching this thread and your set building quests. Fun to follow. Enjoy the ride!

John

Everybody craps on retail, but besides the 2 superfractors I’ve pulled 3 autos, including red ink I was able to trade for 13 cards from the 1941 play ball set, and a killebrew stamp card I was able to trade for a 56 Topps Jackie Robinson. All this while spending $200 or less per year on Heritage.

That is amazing, and what a great trade! I have had some nice 1/250's etc. but never the elusive superfractor. I want one so badly.

I do worry with Fanatics taking over Topps and now they are taking over PWCC. It could create a conflict of interest.
    I feel like the modern card market thrives off the fact that you can hit a card worth over a couple thousand dollars instantly. Will the majority of the rarest and most expensive cards somehow always seem to show up on PWCC auctions?

Is Fanatics buying Topps, or did they just, just?, take over the exclusive MLB license?

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    Is Fanatics buying Topps, or did they just, just?, take over the exclusive MLB license?

Already done

The e-commerce company Fanatics acquired Topps on Tuesday, and the deal is worth "roughly" $500 million - CNBC reported, Jan 4, 2022

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2023 7:31PM

The first Garvey flashback hit ebay. Seller is asking $499/OBO. This is what is wrong with the card market today, in my opinion.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

The first Garvey flashback hit ebay. Seller is asking $499/OBO. This is what is wrong with the card market today, in my opinion.

Cool looking card though... :)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

I hope to be able to get one at a much better price. I realize this is a very popular set year after year, but let's be real. Garvey is not highly collected and is a borderline HOF candidate at BEST to most, many see him as just more of a star/fan favorite. His auto /25 should realistically not break $100, and didn't in the past typically. I see a few going for nuts prices and then the rest hopefully settling into a reasonable range. The guy selling the first one is nuts to ask $500, but I guess you never know unless you try.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

That Trout is awful. Black and hot pink? They could have filled the upper flag with "American League" or something. The Garvey card took cues from '82 Topps more than '74. Would have been cool if Topps made Team checklist cards like '74 but with real, not facsimile autos.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2023 8:39AM

@RonSportscards said:

That Trout is awful. Black and hot pink? They could have filled the upper flag with "American League" or something. The Garvey card took cues from '82 Topps more than '74. Would have been cool if Topps made Team checklist cards like '74 but with real, not facsimile autos.

The Angels cards had hot pink in 1974 and every recent Heritage set has had black parallels, so not sure exactly how they’re supposed to avoid that color combo. Besides, I kinda like the look.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

Weird color combo unless they have a surprise Bret Hart card.

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2023 2:38PM

Waking this thing up again ... mainly since I finally opened some of these. Here are the general results from ripping the following (so far): 2 Hobby boxes, 3 Blasters, 1 Hanger, 1 Mega box (Walmart version w/ 15packs)

Base 775 (Unique 451 + Duplicates 370)
    1974 Topps Stamps 6
    Baseball Flashbacks 5
    Chrome 2
    Chrome Blue Sparkle Refractor 3
    Chrome Refractor 1
    Clubhouse Collection Relics 2
    New Age Performers 14
    News Flashbacks 4
    Oversized 1974 Topps Box Toppers 2
    Real One Autographs 1
    Then and Now 6

Missing 24 base cards and 71 #401+ SP - still annoying there are 100 SP in "base" set. HTF is one supposed to collect them all? Sorry, just complaining. :)

Pulled the Brett Baty image alt SP and Kodai Senga SP from same hobby box. Auto is Steve Garvey and came from the walmart mega -- on card too, not a sticker! Too bad it's a mite off-center...

Welp, still have 2 hobbies, 1 target (17 packs w/ red border)/1walmart (15 packs w/ chrome blue sparkle) mega, and 4 hobby boxes to chase those 24 cards needed and hope to try and avoid dupes on the SPs too. Yeah right! /knockin-on-wood

Open to any trading if there is interest.

Peace.

David

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Garvey is awesome. Congrats.

I'm not a huge SG fan, but always thought that was his coolest card. It makes him look like a super hero.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

No stickers is one of many things that makes heritage great!

I have an altuve refractor /574 I’d like to trade for a similar card of a Red Sox, if somebody has one. I think the only chrome Sox are Devers and Bello.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@PastaBoy said:

hey PastaBoy,
    Cool looking Garvey.... :)

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure whats its like there but the walmart here for the last week or so has been almost nil and void of sports card and just a few boxes of magic or pokemon. managed to get 1 single 15 pack 2023 heritage box .

pulled 5 sp from the 401-500 and a Kodai Senga RC sp

• Options

@slimies said:
    Not sure whats its like there but the walmart here for the last week or so has been almost nil and void of sports card and just a few boxes of magic or pokemon. managed to get 1 single 15 pack 2023 heritage box .

pulled 5 sp from the 401-500 and a Kodai Senga RC sp

hey slimies,
    Oh Wow...That's crazy...