Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sweden 1687 2 Marks

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this one would grade higher... last one for now

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Respectable grade (I looked it up).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one graded 55- respectable as LordM writes.

I thought this coin-perhaps more so than the rest- deserves a write up from my perspective. The obverse features a well-struck portrait which is a good start. The coin featured a nice patina with issues that are consistent with its age. I have not owned a Swedish coin from this century...ever. I have no benchmark or personal point of reference. So I thought it might make sense to just punt and give our Host the opportunity to grade this one.

This strategy sort of reminded me of the Ohio State-Michigan game of 1950 in Columbus that was played in a historic blizzard. Michigan upset Ohio State. Northwestern upset Illinois and Michigan played Cal in the Rose Bowl and beat Lynn Waldorf's undefeated Golden Bears 14-6. The game was won based on punting and field position.

There are those occasions even in coin grading whereby punting makes sense. In this instance, I thought this may have a reasonable shot at an MS grade. And while some may view that as wildly optimistic, the coin features a nice portrait with significant detail with imperfections that one would expect and anticipate with a coin that is about 335 years old... if my math is close to being correct. So the coin grades 55, so the benefit to punting is to learn the standard that exists until one realizes how many MS coins have been graded within the series.

So the takeaway is understand what exists and has been graded before you punt.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    This one graded 55- respectable as LordM writes.

I thought this coin-perhaps more so than the rest- deserves a write up from my perspective. The obverse features a well-struck portrait which is a good start. The coin featured a nice patina with issues that are consistent with its age. I have not owned a Swedish coin from this century...ever. I have no benchmark or personal point of reference. So I thought it might make sense to just punt and give our Host the opportunity to grade this one.

This strategy sort of reminded me of the Ohio State-Michigan game of 1950 in Columbus that was played in a historic blizzard. Michigan upset Ohio State. Northwestern upset Illinois and Michigan played Cal in the Rose Bowl and beat Lynn Waldorf's undefeated Golden Bears 14-6. The game was won based on punting and field position.

There are those occasions even in coin grading whereby punting makes sense. In this instance, I thought this may have a reasonable shot at an MS grade. And while some may view that as wildly optimistic, the coin features a nice portrait with significant detail with imperfections that one would expect and anticipate with a coin that is about 335 years old... if my math is close to being correct. So the coin grades 55, so the benefit to punting is to learn the standard that exists until one realizes how many MS coins have been graded within the series.

So the takeaway is understand what exists and has been graded before you punt.

Lovely coin. I think iti's an interesting one where it seems like there's more wear on the rev than the obverse of the coin which is fairly common given the relief of most coins. Still a great example.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"