Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL 2023 AMERICAN EAGLE GOLD PROOF FOUR-COIN SET (W) THREAD ****

HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2023 4:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I could not find another dedicated thread to the American Eagle 2023 Gold Proof Four-Coin Set thread so I started one.

On March 30th, the American Eagle 2023 Gold Proof Set (West Point) will go on sale.

BST references available on request

Comments

• Options
    edited March 8, 2023 8:19PM

On the same date, the 1oz, the 1/2 oz, the 1/4 oz, and the 1/10th oz. American Eagle Gold Proof coins will be on sale.

Seeing as these have been heavy sellers in the past few years; especially particular weights and the SET, one could assume that the "WAITING ROOM" will be in effect.

All Price's TBD at a later date. Any guesses as to Prices before the official prices are posted??

• Options

• Options

One question I have...can I wait in multiple waiting rooms...as in the past we had multiple windows open during the buying process.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    One question I have...can I wait in multiple waiting rooms...as in the past we had multiple windows open during the buying process.

One waiting room, probably one seat in the waiting room per computer. If you have a tablet, computer, phone, and another computer going....looks like you'll have multiple positions.

Or do you think they'll be savvy enough to set up the program to one seat in the waiting room per customer?

Let us know when you figure that one out!!!!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a guess but IP address can be observed by them, I believe

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will not be buying any of these, but will be interested in how the 'waiting room' exercise works out. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Onastone said:
    One waiting room, probably one seat in the waiting room per computer. If you have a tablet, computer, phone, and another computer going....looks like you'll have multiple positions.

Or do you think they'll be savvy enough to set up the program to one seat in the waiting room per customer?

I'm hoping someone with more experience with the "Waiting Room" may chine in as to trying to buy multiple products at once. My own experience with a waiting room was trying to get Ryder Cup tickets a few years ago. That was a not a fun experience - was told after 3 hours waiting that all tix were sold out. :s

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@Onastone said:

I'm hoping someone with more experience with the "Waiting Room" may chine in as to trying to buy multiple products at once. My own experience with a waiting room was trying to get Ryder Cup tickets a few years ago. That was a not a fun experience - was told after 3 hours waiting that all tix were sold out. :s

Multiple accounts with multiple browsers might work, even on the same computer. But, unless you are trying to circumvent product order limits, it just isn't necessary.

The beauty of the waiting room is that it walls off the traffic jam such that once you are in, you can freely move around the site, place whatever you want in your cart, and check out smoothly. Just like on days when there is no product launch.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

Multiple accounts with multiple browsers might work, even on the same computer. But, unless you are trying to circumvent product order limits, it just isn't necessary.

The beauty of the waiting room is that it walls off the traffic jam such that once you are in, you can freely move around the site, place whatever you want in your cart, and check out smoothly. Just like on days when there is no product launch.

I am NOT an expert on "virtual waiting rooms". That said, I think that multiple 'spots in line' would also be an advantage for limited quantity releases.

Consider an extreme case, 20XE (i.e., demand >> supply). Under the old system, this coin was "unavailable" in minutes. In the new system, all customers on the website just prior to release would be moved to the Waitroom, and assigned a random position in queue. The more randomly assigned 'spots' you have, the better your chances of actually getting an item prior to unavailability.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I will be testing the waiting room for my 1st time as well, for a multi-coin order.
    1/10 and 1/4, but thats where I hit lint in the pockets ;) .

• Options
    edited March 9, 2023 10:17AM

@MetroD said:

@NJCoin said:

I am NOT an expert on "virtual waiting rooms". That said, I think that multiple 'spots in line' would also be an advantage for limited quantity releases.

Consider an extreme case, 20XE (i.e., demand >> supply). Under the old system, this coin was "unavailable" in minutes. In the new system, all customers on the website just prior to release would be moved to the Waitroom, and assigned a random position in queue. The more randomly assigned 'spots' you have, the better your chances of actually getting an item prior to unavailability.

Good point. I hadn't considered that! Once they open the room, you'll be able to see which window has the best spot, and then just close the other windows. And, of course, once they open the room, this no longer applies because then everyone just goes to the back of the line.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Limit 3 on the 4 coin set. Wishful thinking

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Limit 3 on the 4 coin set. Wishful thinking

For some reason, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, I thought the HHL was 1 set last year?

This particular gold set and some of the individual gold coins are a great opportunity for a flip, to help offset the cost of other coins that I want.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    For some reason, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, I thought the HHL was 1 set last year?

This particular gold set and some of the individual gold coins are a great opportunity for a flip, to help offset the cost of other coins that I want.

Excellent memory. :)

Source: https://www.coinnews.net/2022/03/17/2022-w-proof-american-gold-eagles-launch/

• Options
    edited March 9, 2023 8:40PM

@MetroD said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Excellent memory. :)

Source: https://www.coinnews.net/2022/03/17/2022-w-proof-american-gold-eagles-launch/

Well, just in case things change prior to the sale date...I think I'll just memorialize this here for future reference!
    (sorry for the not so clear images, I resized them down as to not take up as much room).

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today's Coin World PR.

Proof American Eagle gold coin sales to start March 30

**By Paul Gilkes , Coin World**

**Published: Mar 10, 2023, 9 AM**

The five product options for the Proof 2023-W American Eagle gold coins, their mintages and the product limits are:
    ➤ Four-coin Proof 2023-W gold set, product limit 13,000.
    ➤ Single Proof 1-ounce gold $50 coin, mintage limit 22,500, product limit 9,500.
    ➤ Single Proof half-ounce gold $25 coin, mintage limit 16,000, product limit 3,000.
    ➤ Single Proof quarter-ounce gold $10 coin, mintage limit 19,000, product limit 6,000.
    ➤ Single Proof tenth-ounce gold $5 coin, mintage limit 31,000, product limit 18,000.

The $50 coin continues to carry the Mint’s anti-counterfeiting device, this time with the notch interrupting the edge reeding at the 3 o’clock position.

The overt detail does not appear on the fractional gold versions.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/proof-american-eagle-gold-coin-sales-to-start-march-30

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall that the mint announcement made it clear (to me anyway) that multiple browsers or devices wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure you would need multiple accounts.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2023 11:27AM

@ProofCollection said:
    I recall that the mint announcement made it clear (to me anyway) that multiple browsers or devices wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure you would need multiple accounts.

I thought it went without saying that you'd need multiple accounts. The same account would never work at the same time on the same device and browser. I don't even see how it would work at the same time on multiple browsers or devices.

• Options

VMWare is your friend (for those tech savy)....

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:
    VMWare is your friend (for those tech savy)....

Only if they are doing IP tracking, and I'm not sure that they are. Multiple devices and/or browsers have worked to date, even with the same IP address.

• Options

The US Mint has impeccable timing!

This upcoming week, will determine the price for the various US Mint offerings of the 2023 Gold American Eagle Proof Coins going on sale March 30th. Just like last year, gold prices are once again at all time recent high levels (over $2k/oz on Fri) and thus these offerings are more than likely to be similar in price to last year.

Pricing for precious metal numismatic products (e.g., palladium, platinum, 24-k gold, 22-k gold) varies by the average cost of the underlying metal. We use our pricing range table the week prior to sale in order to determine the product's price. If the average weekly price of the precious metal moves up or down into another cost range, the price of the product will also go up or down, respectively, by a fixed amount.

According to the US Mint Price Range Tables - below could be the prices for these coins.

If the average of gold is in the $1,950-1,999 range this will be the prices:

On the other hand, if the avg price of gold is in the $2,000-2,049 range, this will be the prices of the various offerings:

Other notes...the 4 piece set sold out in 7 mins last year!!
    Will the waiting room be in effect...and what affect will it have???

• Options

If the average of gold is in the $1,950-1,999 range this will be the prices:

On the other hand, if the avg price of gold is in the $2,000-2,049 range, this will be the prices of the various offerings:

Other notes...the 4 piece set sold out in 7 mins last year!!
    Will the waiting room be in effect...and what affect will it have???

To put the 2023 sets in perspective.....

In March 2021, I paid $4,410 for the type 1 four coin set.

In July 2021, I paid $5,055 for the Type 2 four coin set.

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    To put the 2023 sets in perspective.....

In March 2021, I paid $4,410 for the type 1 four coin set.

In July 2021, I paid $5,055 for the Type 2 four coin set.

To put a visual perspective on your perspective...Yep, sounds about right!

It's all about the timing!

• Options
  • Options

If gold spot remains between $1,950 and $2,000/oz......this should be the pricing for tomorrow's sale.

I notice the price has not been posted yet, does this happen later today?

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 10:30AM

@Goldbully said:
    If gold spot remains between $1,950 and $2,000/oz......this should be the pricing for tomorrow's sale.

I notice the price has not been posted yet, does this happen later today?

Yes. Normally after 2 PM ET..

• Options
    edited March 29, 2023 11:11AM

$2850.00 seems very reasonable. Just a very small mark up. 😂😂😂😂😂
    ( personally I don’t understand how they can operate on such small margins. I mean look at ase’s, their barely getting 3x the cost). 🤨. They certainly are showing us that while they gouge us because they can and then claim that those dirty flippers are the problem 😳

• Options

Prices are posted...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:
    Prices are posted...

Thanks

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

Strong pass

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked for buyers on this and found none. Pinehurst is out. It seems that the mint has priced it too high and with the household limit of 3 all the dealers can get enough.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 9:03AM

@stawick said:
    I will be testing the waiting room for my 1st time as well, for a multi-coin order.
    1/10 and 1/4, but thats where I hit lint in the pockets ;) .

I * think * I'm in the waiting room. The screen "blinked" on me and went back to the web page I was on.
    When ordering starts, does the button switch to "Add to bag"? Do I have to refresh (they say not to)?

*** Answer - Nope. You just re-link to the page for the coin / product and Add to bag shows up, and you order.

• Options

No Day of Issue sell-out appears to be the case for any of these releases today.
    Maybe someday...but WoW! No comparison to prior years.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mostly quit buying these from the Mint. By the time you can get them graded any flip rush is gone and you have a good chance of a 69 that you can't get rid of. I might buy one 70 set from a dealer eventually. Pay a little more, but a lot less frustration.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2023 1:51PM

Apparently @ProofCollection
    this applies to the ase’s as well. both the W proof and congratulations set are still available days after release.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldminers said:
    I mostly quit buying these from the Mint. By the time you can get them graded any flip rush is gone and you have a good chance of a 69 that you can't get rid of. I might buy one 70 set from a dealer eventually. Pay a little more, but a lot less frustration.

Yep. I've given up on buying new mint stuff myself and grading and hoping for 70's. Far more economical to buy a 70 from Pinehurst or MSG or even on ebay. The only exception is where there is an unexpected small supply or high demand

Same here. I have learned to just wait a few months, and the new Mint products will show up, already graded, and not much more than they cost directly from the Mint.

• Options

Trying to find the units remaining using 'data-available' on the page source.....not working in Firefox.

Has the Mint changed the wording for this tag?

• Options
    edited March 31, 2023 4:57AM

@Goldbully said:
    Trying to find the units remaining using 'data-available' on the page source.....not working in Firefox.

In the past, I've used "availablecount" but I'm not sure that is entirely accurate??

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldbully said:

In the past, I've used "availablecount" but I'm note that is entirely accurate??

Thank you, that works just fine.

4471 sets remain at this point.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldbully said:

In the past, I've used "availablecount" but I'm note that is entirely accurate??

Availablegcount is Not a real time inventory…

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@Goldbully said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Goldbully said:

Availablegcount is Not a real time inventory…

In another thread you wrote that Availablecount was the starting day inventory.

@cagcrisp said:
    Availablecount shows you how many the Mint started the day with. It is Not a current inventory…

If they started the day with 4471 sets (as it currently shows) - would that indicate that the Mint did not intend to sell the 13,000 mintage/production limit and only had 4471 for sale on the web today?

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:
    Availablecount shows you how many the Mint started the day with. It is Not a current inventory…

If they started the day with 4471 sets (as it currently shows) - would that indicate that the Mint did not intend to sell the 13,000 mintage/production limit and only had 4471 for sale on the web today?

I would assume that is their allocation for web sales. I'm sure they have inventory set aside for subscriptions and dealers, road shows, and their retail shops.

• Options

"data-available" still not working.

"availableCount":3662

• Options

1/2 ouncer not available.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2023-one-half-ounce-gold-proof-coin-23EC.html?cgid=ae-gold-coins#cm_sp=HPA1--23EB-F--033023&scp=AEFLAG&start=1

"availableCount":379,"

• Options

Half oz available now

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Half oz available now

...and sold out again!

Appears that AvailableCount is valid??