Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Top Grading Companies

After being away from the sports collectible hobby for more than 10 years I have recently come back. It’s amazing how some of my cards and memorabilia have appreciated. Back in the day PSA, Beckett, and SGC were the top grading companies.is that still the case? Are there any more new top grading companies? I believe that GAI went out of business.

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2023 6:45AM

PSA has become a clear #1 is all cards. Way more so than 10 years ago. SGC is probably a distant 2nd, based on their following in Pokémon and Magic CGC/CSG May be 3rd or it may be Beckett with the other 4th. In a given month the 2-4 companies combined grade about 1/3 of the cards PSA does.

I am slabnostic and buy the best card for my collection - and I would say if you are grading to sell and the card warrants PSAs grading fees then go PSA.

If you are keeping the card - and I am the only one on here who will say this most likely - then why grade? Put the grading fees towards another card you want for your collection. The card coming back is still the same card you already had. You just know how PSA graded it on a given day. You already know what it should be within a grade either side.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2023 10:36AM

I have 131 cards/packs (combined) in my collection...124 in PSA holders and 7 in SGC holders. These two companies are the only ones that I trust...only four (4) cards to go. Then...I will sit back and enjoy them during my retirement.

When buying in the 1980s and early 1990s...I had to buy raw cards and would have to hope that there were no trimming and such. My best raw buys were at the National Convention in Atlanta in 1993 and a National Convention in Chicago in the early 1990s...$125 for a raw 1962 Lou Brock RC (Atlanta) which I submitted years later and it received a PSA-8.5 and a raw 1965 Steve Carlton RC (Chicago) for $500 (from Mr. Mint) which I also submitted years later and received a PSA-9. Both cards are still in my collection.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beckett is very popular with the new cards. I still grade vintage with them, but selectively. I really like the subgrades on the cards from 1981 - 1994 range. For example, i purchased two 1989 donruss griffey's with 2 10's and 2 9.5's. These grades are really rare. It kind of sets the cards apart from just a 9.5. For rare cards, the subs aren't quite as important.

1) PSA
    2) Vintage - SGC, new Beckett

THat's all i would use. I have never graded with sgc, but I have with Beckett and PSA quite a bit.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only submit to PSA, because I never sell and I think/hope the premium price helps with the long-term appreciation. I'll let you know in 10-15 years. :#

I do buy SGC though depending on the card and price.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

PSA dominates and is the standard.

It's crazy with Certified Collectibles Group(CCG), leaders in grading comics(CGC) and coins(NGC), just how bad they are at grading cards(CSG).

And SGC's grading with vintage is hit or miss, mostly miss. They don't grade vintage on it's own merit, taking the printing and cutting technology of the day into consideration. After endlessly staring at shiny, glittery, refractering modern cards all day, the kids grading at SGC then get a vintage card to grade and in their mind it's already a 6 to start.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now I'd say PSA, SGC, and CSG are the top three in terms of popularity among collectors. I've used PSA and SGC for grading submissions and I have purchased all three slabs. As for which I would recommend, it depends on your personal reasons for grading. The three differ in pricing, slab design, turnaround times, resale value, consistency of grading, specials, membership fees, and customer service. Evaluate and decide which one is right for you.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

So many have commented on SGC's "tuxedo" holder and how nice they look, but don't seem to care if the card is actually accurately graded. It's weird.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I prefer PSA but wish they did subs. Having a surface sub helps because photos are hard to assess.

I have purchased other graded cards but never submitted myself. I picked up cards which I intend on crossing over when there is a $300 or more disparity in price for cards of an apparent same condition. I only do this when I don't want to wait for a card to hit an auction which has a low pop and rising value.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own over 700 PSA cards, 4 SGC and 1 Beckett. That’s the order in which I’d rank them, although I’d have SGC closer to PSA than they are to Beckett. Beckett a distant third.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beckett has the best, most secure holder.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

If you are keeping the card - and I am the only one on here who will say this most likely - then why grade? Put the grading fees towards another card you want for your collection. The card coming back is still the same card you already had. You just know how PSA graded it on a given day. You already know what it should be within a grade either side.

I understand what you say, and don't even disagree, but if you do that you'll be leaving a mess for your heirs, especially if you have raw cards of any value. Sure, you, the hobbyist, know what grades the cards are and what a fair offer would be, but does the executor of your estate?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:
    I prefer PSA but wish they did subs. Having a surface sub helps because photos are hard to assess.

I have purchased other graded cards but never submitted myself. I picked up cards which I intend on crossing over when there is a $300 or more disparity in price for cards of an apparent same condition. I only do this when I don't want to wait for a card to hit an auction which has a low pop and rising value.

But of course the question arises: if a card is worth $300 more in an ABC 6 than an XYZ 6, and also in an XYZ 7, then are XYZ 7s more comparable (in condition) to ABC 6s than XYZ 6s are?

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    So many have commented on SGC's "tuxedo" holder and how nice they look, but don't seem to care if the card is actually accurately graded. It's weird.

Same issue w/ALL grading co's

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Beckett has the best, most secure holder.

I agree, I like the Beckett holders the best, especially for storing them.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2023 10:28AM

@RonSportscards said:

Similar to how many grade with PSA just so they can sell it to someone else for the highest value. They do this knowing thousands of cards were graded in the past that were altered.

All of us need a bit of wake-up juice...

• Options
    x2drich2000x2drich2000 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

As an overall hobby at this point it's probably PSA, SGC, CGS, Beckett in that order. Personally, I like SGC better than PSA. I would not even think about Beckett at this point. As an FYI, Beckett is owned by Global Growth LLC, which was founded by Greg Lindberg. Greg Lindberg was previously convicted of bribing the NC Insurance Commissioner and was recent indicted on federal grand jury on fraud charges. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/former-insurance-executive-indicted-2b-fraud-scheme

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA is the industry standard. then SGC and Beckett

if you are slabbing to protect the card, Beckett is by far the most secure holder.

I find SGC's holder to be lacking. I have seen cards slip past the gasket before.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just did a sub reveal video for some sick GAI slabs.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2023 2:40PM

@daltex said:

@brad31 said:

If you are keeping the card - and I am the only one on here who > @daltex said:
    @brad31 said:

I understand what you say, and don't even disagree, but if you do that you'll be leaving a mess for your heirs, especially if you have raw cards of any value. Sure, you, the hobbyist, know what grades the cards are and what a fair offer would be, but does the executor of your estate?

I am lucky in that regards as my brother and I are both avid collectors and know what to do. We have each chosen a card that would be our compensation for the trouble (more so a card that definitely stays in the family and we can cherish). We have been going to shows together since we were kids in the early 80s. Much of my collecting joy comes from our conversations about cards. He is anti-grading so it would be more work for me if he goes first, but I imagine the process would be cathartic.