Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

JFK Commemorative Panels with Coins & Stamps

Question please: Where would I look for collectors of JFK coins, stamps history, these coins were part of a package from the mint, and or should I talk to PCGS?. I would like to find out where to go to find out their worth. Here are the panels I am talking about. Thank y'all so much for your help

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Since all the halves are P & D and Cu-Ni clad and business strikes, I don't think there is high value. Use the Google to find any interest in the pages as is. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rsei0120rsei0120 Posts: 127 ✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Welcome. Since all the halves are P & D and Cu-Ni clad and business strikes, I don't think there is high value. Use the Google to find any interest in the pages as is. Good luck. Peace Roy

Thank you so much, sorry I am new what is P & D and Cu-Ni mean

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2023 1:56PM

P & D are Philadelphia and Denver mint marks and Cu-Ni means copper-nickel clad coins. This means that there are no silver or Proof coins here. Those are the ones that have value beyond face. I see only one 40% silver coin, a 1965. Also, these panels were not issued by the mint, but by a private firm.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:
    P & D are Philadelphia and Denver mint marks and Cu-Ni means copper-nickel clad coins. This means that there are no silver or Proof coins here. Those are the ones that have value beyond face. I see only one 40% silver coin, a 1965. Also, these panels were not issued by the mint, but by a private firm.

Thank you ! I love learning....

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's unpack what you have here.

The coins were issued by the US Mint, but these sleeves look like something from the Postal Commemorative Society (PCS). The PCS is a private company that packages common coins in fancy sleeves and sells them for many, many multiples of their numismatic value largely targeting senior citizens and through ads in local newspapers and similar strategies. The coins themselves are just common coins; the clad pieces are worth essentially face value, the 40% silver pieces are worth about $3 each (based upon silver at about $21 per ounce) and the 90% silver coins (if any) are worth about $7.50 each. The stamps and sleeves are generally worthless unless someone wants to buy them for the heck of it.

You've posted a fair number of threads and asked lots of more general questions, so I would expect that you would have a copy of the Red Book by now, and this would give some insight into how common the coins are and perhaps the abbreviations that might be used to describe them. When "P & D" is used it means coins from the Philadelphia (P) and Denver (D) mints. When "Cu-Ni" is used it means coins that are made of copper-nickel (Cu-Ni) also known as clad coinage. Clad coinage is what we find today in our pocket change or if you order coins from the bank. In general, they are worth only face value.

Google Postal Commemorative Society and JFK and you will find these sleeves that you have offered on ebay and similar sites and you can buy as many as you like. Folks might want $5 or $10 or $20 or whatever per sleeve, but truly these are items that have little value and are just looking for someone to buy them on a whim from an antique store. I am certain PCGS would love it if you submitted them, but why waste your money submitting common coins?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:

The coins were issued by the US Mint, but these sleeves look like something from the Postal Commemorative Society (PCS). The PCS is a private company that packages common coins in fancy sleeves and sells them for many, many multiples of their numismatic value largely targeting senior citizens and through ads in local newspapers and similar strategies. The coins themselves are just common coins; the clad pieces are worth essentially face value, the 40% silver pieces are worth about $3 each (based upon silver at about $21 per ounce) and the 90% silver coins (if any) are worth about $7.50 each. The stamps and sleeves are generally worthless unless someone wants to buy them for the heck of it.

You've posted a fair number of threads and asked lots of more general questions, so I would expect that you would have a copy of the Red Book by now, and this would give some insight into how common the coins are and perhaps the abbreviations that might be used to describe them. When "P & D" is used it means coins from the Philadelphia (P) and Denver (D) mints. When "Cu-Ni" is used it means coins that are made of copper-nickel (Cu-Ni) also known as clad coinage. Clad coinage is what we find today in our pocket change or if you order coins from the bank. In general, they are worth only face value.

Google Postal Commemorative Society and JFK and you will find these sleeves that you have offered on ebay and similar sites and you can buy as many as you like. Folks might want $5 or $10 or $20 or whatever per sleeve, but truly these are items that have little value and are just looking for someone to buy them on a whim from an antique store. I am certain PCGS would love it if you submitted them, but why waste your money submitting common coins?

Thank you so very much, we keep unpacking and finding, it's so interesting, when I exhaust my search, I come here, y'all are great, especially when you go into detail..I like that, makes sense, Ive seen these on ebay for 9.95 per page.., we have unearthed more coins, which I will take pictures and would like you to take a look, the one 1912-S of course I bought and got blessed, that it wasn't a total waste, did find in our stash some other coins a 1911-S $5 Indian gold, the S is very weak, almost ghost, so what happens say a gold coin such as this, has say a very weak S or non when its supposed to be one, sort of like the 1922 No D?, also if there is a possibility of doubling, I haven't seen anything in Red Book, Im sure more than one would have to exist...just curious

• Options

@rsei0120 said:

@TomB said:

Thank you so very much, we keep unpacking and finding, it's so interesting, when I exhaust my search, I come here, y'all are great, especially when you go into detail..I like that, makes sense, Ive seen these on ebay for 9.95 per page.., we have unearthed more coins, which I will take pictures and would like you to take a look, the one 1912-S of course I bought and got blessed, that it wasn't a total waste, did find in our stash some other coins a 1911-S $5 Indian gold, the S is very weak, almost ghost, so what happens say a gold coin such as this, has say a very weak S or non when its supposed to be one, sort of like the 1922 No D?, also if there is a possibility of doubling, I haven't seen anything in Red Book, Im sure more than one would have to exist...just curious

And before I loose my thought on the subject looking at Red Book and PCGS would it not be more advantageous to take the coins out of the packets, grade them and sell for more money?, Stamps are not as collectable as once were.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsei0120 said:

@rsei0120 said:

@TomB said:

And before I loose my thought on the subject looking at Red Book and PCGS would it not be more advantageous to take the coins out of the packets, grade them and sell for more money?, Stamps are not as collectable as once were.

There is something some of us have been trying to tell you over and over and over again, yet I don't think you understand. That is; not all coins are worth grading! PCGS certification isn't a magic money tree. You most likely have generic, mint state business strike coins in those sleeves. Coins that are worth about face value, which has been mentioned before in this thread. Blindly submitting common coins to PCGS is great for PCGS, but not necessarily great for your bank account.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:

@rsei0120 said:

@rsei0120 said:

@TomB said:

There is something some of us have been trying to tell you over and over and over again, yet I don't think you understand. That is; not all coins are worth grading! PCGS certification isn't a magic money tree. You most likely have generic, mint state business strike coins in those sleeves. Coins that are worth about face value, which has been mentioned before in this thread. Blindly submitting common coins to PCGS is great for PCGS, but not necessarily great for your bank account.

I am trying to learn, that is why I am asking so many questions, and not just sending for grading, I am trying to understand the difference, that is also why I am still trying to look for someone local to work with, I have joined the TX ANA and I have emailed the Ft Worth Coin collectors to see if I could join, it 's so hard trying to read, watch, and I feel like I am bothering y'all so much, you have been great to help I just don't want to over do it asking and become a pest...

• Options

@rsei0120 said:

@TomB said:

@rsei0120 said:

@rsei0120 said:

@TomB said:

I am trying to learn, that is why I am asking so many questions, and not just sending for grading, I am trying to understand the difference, that is also why I am still trying to look for someone local to work with, I have joined the TX ANA and I have emailed the Ft Worth Coin collectors to see if I could join, it 's so hard trying to read, watch, and I feel like I am bothering y'all so much, you have been great to help I just don't want to over do it asking and become a pest...

I haven't sent anymore in just the ones at first, since I have talked to you..I don't want to just blindly send them in,..Thank you again