Home Sports Talk
Options

I miss the 80s

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cool decade for sports!

Comments

• Options

Check out this awesome t-shirt, for those who remember.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the 80's were pretty rough for us Pats/Sox fans but it made the appreciation for their accomplishments later on much greater.

Tecmo Bowl, Madden and Nintendo Ice Hockey were the BEST video games for that time and always brings back good memories.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Well the 80's were pretty rough for us Pats/Sox fans but it made the appreciation for their accomplishments later on much greater.

Tecmo Bowl, Madden and Nintendo Ice Hockey were the BEST video games for that time and always brings back good memories.

Yes, that t-shirt is a tribute to Tecmo Bowl, Bo Jackson!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2023 3:58PM

The 1980's was a fun time to be alive so many cool things going on. I remember just having a good time with little to no worries. Arcades, Nintendo, great movies and on and on.

The world now is very very different some good (advances in science for one), some bad (people don't talk much anymore for one) and some I will just never (bunch of things) get use to either.

The innocence of the 1980's was just great!!! At least for me it was. The world was by no means perfect never is but much more humane in so many ways.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 70s for me! 60s were great, but, the 70s were the grand slam.

The music was "exceptional", bought a brand new corvette, got a great job as an Air Traffic Controller, lived a free and exciting life in a WONDERFUL complex in Atlanta, (the "scenery" was jaw dropping), NO cell phones, we all got along and had the best of times, and I do mean THE BEST OF TIMES. Even got my Commercial Pilot's License.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2023 5:10PM

I hope the world finds itself again at some point it seems lost in more ways than one.

The whole family and I do mean the whole family watching Saturday night hockey and having a BBQ. And all day swimming at the lake or in the pool with all the next door neighbors no conflicts just happy times. No need to lock the doors at least where I lived. Nowadays would not even think about doing such a thing and I still live in the same area just most people don't know one and other at all anymore.

Back then it was all locally owned family businesses or you worked for someone that knew someone. There was PRIDE in people now seems like it is all Walmart and big names and people are depressed more than ever before. It is sad.

I was by no means in the rich class but in the working class but we had everything we needed and more. I worked hard to get where I am today and have all that I need but there always seems to be a missing link that was there in the 1980's. People had each others backs.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me and my sister circa 1978

• Options
    edited March 1, 2023 5:17PM

Geez I remember playing my Atari even before Nintendo.

• Options

I want my MTV.

• Options

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    The 70s for me! 60s were great, but, the 70s were the grand slam.

The music was "exceptional", bought a brand new corvette, got a great job as an Air Traffic Controller, lived a free and exciting life in a WONDERFUL complex in Atlanta, (the "scenery" was jaw dropping), NO cell phones, we all got along and had the best of times, and I do mean THE BEST OF TIMES. Even got my Commercial Pilot's License.

Handsome Boy!
    Dig Those Boots!
    And,....The Mustache!
    PURE 70's!!!!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

I Love It!
    😍

• Options

We gotta move these color TVs. Oh yeah.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I think I had those action figures. Mego Planet of the Apes?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2023 2:30PM

While women's fashion from about 1965 forward through the late 1980s ranged from horrible to fantastic, the same can not be said for men's fashion.

Men's fashion during that time period was mostly horrible.

Do you remember Nehru jackets, plaid clothing, polyester clothing (including multi colored plaid shirts and slacks with horizontal and/or vertical stripes), leisure suits, massively bell bottomed jeans, linen suits right out of Miami Vice, skinny jeans that could be comfortably worn by skinny males (who looked they were 6'3" tall and weighed 110 lbs), platform shoes, earth shoes, etc.

I look at some photos of me taken in the late 1960's and 1970's and simply cringe.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2023 4:18PM

@SanctionII said:
    While women's fashion in the from about 1965 forward through the late 1980s ranged from horrible to fantastic, the same can not be said for men's fashion.

Men's fashion during that time period was mostly horrible.

You Got That Right Sanctions

I look at some photos of me taken in the late 1960's and 1970's and simply cringe....
    Right Again, Sanction!

Check Out The Bell BOTTOMS!
    CRINGE!!!!!!

Bye, Bye!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hydrant.

Fess up.

At least one time, you wore out in public with your friends the following get up:

Plaid polyester checkered bell bottom pants; a wide belt (maybe even white :o ); a floral print, polyester long sleeved shirt (with the top 3-4 buttons not buttoned); a white puka shell necklace; and platform shoes.

Further you had parted down the middle hair long enough to touch your shoulders and a mustache.

I did the above once (as 16 or 17), going out with my buddies (many who dressed the same way) to a movie where our high school classmates would gather on a Friday or Saturday night. I saw how I looked in a mirror and said never again. :)

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I miss about the 80s is what happened on May 18, 1980 at 8:32 am PT...............

Epic.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alot of tennis fans say that the 80's was the best decade to watch pro tennis.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21