Options

Investment Guy Said ...............

13»

Comments

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2023 10:37PM

@jmski52 said:
    Backdating a purchase that was never made - doesn't validate what you say about an increasing rate environment decreasing fund liabilities. Nice try, but it's a "no go".

I didn't say that. I used those as an example of how a pension fund manager can defease long-term liabilities. It's Asset Liability Management 101. When rates move up, grab bonds -- like the ones costing 23 cents on the dollar while avoiding said bonds when they are 48 cents on the dollar.

Right now, fund manages are using spread product -- corp bonds, MBS, ABS -- to get yield above Treasuries. Short-term yields near 4.75% won't help long-term.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2023 8:24AM

@jmski52 said:
    What assets to pension funds mostly hold, coho? What happens to existing pension fund bond holdings when rates rise after more than a decade of artificially-suppressed rates?

In your typical non-answer fashion you said, Because an increase in interest rates decreases their liabilities

So, sure - I'll reframe my question to you - Name the pension fund liability that decreases when the interest rate increases.

The present value of the liability decreases.

See, I answer questions. I ain't afraid.

You need more salt?

BTW---I don't think you know what pensions funds mostly invest in, but I'll let you answer that for yourself with a simple Google search. I'm sure you could figure out how as you seem to be good at exploring the dark crevices of cyberspace.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear