Home U.S. Coin Forum

Closed, thanks to all who helped!

C2CC2C Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2023 7:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comments

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The final bidder in the auction will tell what it's worth.

Have a nice day
  • C2CC2C Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 7:07PM

@streeter said:
    The final bidder in the auction will tell what it's worth.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on sending it to auction. I was considering selling it to pick up an 1889-CC.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anything, the toning is a minor negative, not a positive. All things considered, my guess is that the coin will bring a mid-range MS64 price.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:
    If anything, the toning is a minor negative, not a positive. All things considered, my guess is that the coin will bring a mid-range MS64 price.

Thanks. I don't typically buy toned coins. I appreciate the feedback.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the most recent and most applicable comp I could find for you

I suppose PCGS "Restoration" could be an option, but I would really like to avoid losing the OGH and Gold CAC sticker. It's one of only about 10 CC Morgans with it and its the only in 1892-CC.

edited February 27, 2023 6:32PM

@DeplorableDan said:

Thanks. Guess it gives a pretty good idea right there.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@C2C said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Thanks. Guess it gives a pretty good idea right there.

I would hope so, being that they are the same coin 😉

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hardly even call this a toned coin. While it is not super bright white, there is no discernible color and it looks just a bit gray in parts. Also, some toning (generally rainbow colored) can be worth a huge premium but that’s not the case here. CAC thinks the coin is solid for a 64. Gold stickers usually fetch at least one grade higher and often 2 but it obviously depends on the coin (and old holders can help too). I don’t see this one as any better than a 64 and not a great one at that, so I think Mark’s guess is spot-on.

I used PCGS' tool, but it doesn't link to any auction records. Much appreciated.

edited February 27, 2023 6:36PM

@DeplorableDan said:

That looks like a really nice example and with no disrespect to the coin in the first post, I wouldn’t expect it to bring nearly as much.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@DeplorableDan said:

That looks like a really nice example and with no disrespect to the coin in the first post, I wouldn’t expect it to bring nearly as much.

That is the coin in the OP. I guess he has his answer (or he bought it in the auction). I think it looks much better in the GC photo though.

@david3142 said:

@MFeld said:

@DeplorableDan said:

That is the coin in the OP. I guess he has his answer (or he bought it in the auction). I think it looks much better in the GC photo though.

Thanks and as you can see, I also think it looks much better in the GC photo.😉

@C2C said:
    I'm looking for some help valuing a one of a kind coin. I just don't know how to do so for something like this.

The coin is a 1892-Carson City Morgan Dollar in a PCGS Old Green Holder with a Gold CAC Sticker. It has toning on the obverse, which makes it hard for me to determine its value. I normally only collect these in "untoned", but I bought this as an exception.

Any help valuing it would be appreciated.

Curiously, did you buy the coin in the auction or afterwards, from another seller? Either way, since it sold publicly not too long ago, why are you having trouble valuing it?

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 6:55PM

@MFeld said:

For the coin, I agree. What about the magic gold bean and OGH ? Plastic has become a commodity in its own right.

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

For the coin, I agree. What about the magic gold bean and OGH ? Plastic has become a commodity in its own right.

I was taking the gold sticker into account. But based on what the coin brought at auction, my guess looks to have been considerably too low.

@david3142 said:

@MFeld said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Got it in a part trade at the ANA show.

@MFeld said:

@C2C said:
    I'm looking for some help valuing a one of a kind coin. I just don't know how to do so for something like this.

The coin is a 1892-Carson City Morgan Dollar in a PCGS Old Green Holder with a Gold CAC Sticker. It has toning on the obverse, which makes it hard for me to determine its value. I normally only collect these in "untoned", but I bought this as an exception.

Curiously, did you buy the coin in the auction or afterwards, from another seller? Either way, since it sold publicly not too long ago, why are you having trouble valuing it?

I took it in a part trade bundle.

@C2C said:

@MFeld said:

@C2C said:

I took it in a part trade bundle.

Thanks.

I appreciate all of the help from everyone. I should have thought to check Great Collections. I looked via PCGS and GreySheet and saw nothing there. I was led to believe it had been "in the family" longer than that auction indicates, but I still got a good deal on it given it was just one piece in a bundle deal. I did really well on it and it's unique. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file