Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay will disclose the name and physical address of sellers beginning in June

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

High-volume third-party sellers are defined as vendors who have made 200 or more discrete sales in a 12-month period amounting to $5,000 or more.
Sellers could request an exception prior to the INFORM Consumers Act taking effect on June 27, 2023, in which case eBay would share only a partial address with buyers if the sellers met certain criteria.

However, it appears eBay doesn't have a process in place yet for sellers to certify they are eligible for an exception. eBay states on a help page on its website devoted to the topic of the INFORM Consumers Act, "We're building an exception process for you to certify that you're eligible for an exception to sharing your full physical address under the law. This process will be available prior to the INFORM Consumers Act going into effect.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2023/2/1677357425.html

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be accurate, ebay is being COMPELLED to provide that information.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a link to an eBay help page at the link posted above:

"A high-volume seller is someone who has sold 200 or more new items totaling more than $5,000 in a 12-consecutive-month period over the last 24 months on our US site."

"200 or more new items"

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Can a post office box be your "physical address"? I assume most eBay sellers don't want their home address published for security reasons especially if they sell rare coins or similar expensive merchandise.

Rare Coins are NOT new items, so this does not apply.

@MasonG said:
    From a link to an eBay help page at the link posted above:

"A high-volume seller is someone who has sold 200 or more new items totaling more than $5,000 in a 12-consecutive-month period over the last 24 months on our US site."

"200 or more new items"

Also:

There are two exceptions to sharing your full physical address for the INFORM Consumers Act:

1) If your address is your residential address, only your state and country will be shown.

2) If you use a different address for product returns, then that return address will be displayed.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Physical address could be a P.O. Box no?

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 12:15PM

@djm said:

@PerryHall said:
    Can a post office box be your "physical address"? I assume most eBay sellers don't want their home address published for security reasons especially if they sell rare coins or similar expensive merchandise.

But how will eBay implement it? If I owned a private mint and sold directly on eBay or I sold branded bullion on eBay, would it apply then? Those are new products. How would eBay make the distinction?

We’ve seen eBay struggle to implement the correct sales tax regime for each state and locality - I think eBay will likely struggle with exceptions here too. Not saying they don’t have good intentions - only that this implementation will be challenging for any large e-commerce resale site.

Privacy and safety are important to coin collectors and dealers - the detail around implementation will determine whether home based sellers continue to sell on eBay.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭

so when is something not new? If I purchase a coin from the US mint, it is the mint selling it new. My use of that coin may be minimal or in reality, nonexistent. I may simply stick it in the safe deposit box, safe, etc. But once I sell it, it is not new, it is now a used item. Therefore, this requirement should not apply? Makes sense to me, but I doubt it will make sense to either eBay or the government.

In response to those who are asking whether or not a PO Box can be a physical address, it certainly can if you're small enough.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Project Numismatics said:

@djm said:

@PerryHall said:

But how will eBay implement it? If I owned a private mint and sold directly on eBay or I sold branded bullion on eBay, would it apply then? Those are new products. How would eBay make the distinction?

We’ve seen eBay struggle to implement the correct sales tax regime for each state and locality - I think eBay will likely struggle with exceptions here too. Not saying they don’t have good intentions - only that this implementation will be challenging for any large e-commerce resale site.

Privacy and safety are important to coin collectors and dealers - the detail around implementation will determine whether home based sellers continue to sell on eBay.

I would think it would be a simple matter. When you list the item for sale do you check the box new or pre-owned. In the coin category these boxed do not exist.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

The above is my only reservation to this move.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only concern would be unsavory types such as I encountered last year from a "seller" in Poland up near the Russian border who ran a bunch of certified gold coins and then shipped each of them to someone else in the US. One of them I bought he cancelled the other I had to file a complaint with ebay and my credit card. I left factual and critical feedback for the seller and he threatened me. His account was later suspended. Someone like that could retaliate, unlikely but possible.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 5:34PM

@logger7 said:
    My only concern would be unsavory types such as I encountered last year from a "seller" in Poland up near the Russian border who ran a bunch of certified gold coins and then shipped each of them to someone else in the US. One of them I bought he cancelled the other I had to file a complaint with ebay and my credit card. I left factual and critical feedback for the seller and he threatened me. His account was later suspended. Someone like that could retaliate, unlikely but possible.

People are crazy now a days. If you tick off one of the loonies someone could now mail you a pipe bomb or stalk you. Although unlikely, my professional experiences have always taught me to never under estimate how insane some people are. It is estimated that 0.5% to 3.5% of the general public have antisocial personality disorder (I.e. these are your sociopaths/psychopaths). You probably even have a few in your hometown. It’s a chilling thought indeed. Great Collections and the other auction houses look better and better by the moment.

@djm said:

@djm said:

@PerryHall said:

I would think it would be a simple matter. When you list the item for sale do you check the box new or pre-owned. In the coin category these boxed do not exist.

There’s not even a small chance this is how they would implement it because their legal team would never allow it. When it comes to regulatory compliance, they aren’t going to rely on users to self report whether something is new.

• VasantiVasanti Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how eBay will actually verify compliance?

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feepay - every time I reconsider the possibility of selling again there, they come up with something new to keep me from doing so. Some say they are compelled, hmm.......... Feepay.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if you did not meet that 200 item sold in 12 months then you will not count as High-volume third-party seller?

edited February 27, 2023 8:25PM

@airplanenut said:

@PerryHall said:

I ran into this recently when I discovered that my physical address was being shown on some customs paperwork visible to certain international buyers. Since a PO Box wasn’t allowed for that address (although it’s my mailing address) I changed my physical address to the street address of my post office. If anyone ever sends mail there it will get to me, and the system didn’t reject it, so good enough. I’ll have to double check, but I’m pretty sure eBay no longer has my actual physical address anymore.

I just changed my address to my post office address as you suggested then I immediately received email from eBay asked to to verified my information and upload my ID etc. otherwise they will hold my payout.

@spacehayduke said:
    Feepay - every time I reconsider the possibility of selling again there, they come up with something new to keep me from doing so. Some say they are compelled, hmm.......... Feepay.

"Some say..."?

It's A FEDERAL LAW. EBay didn't come up with it. Your congressional representatives did. How hard is it to actually read the article posted?

edited February 27, 2023 8:33PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

"Some say..."?

It's A FEDERAL LAW. EBay didn't come up with it. Your congressional representatives did. How hard is it to actually read the article posted?

Hmm.... There is always ways around a lack of privacy laws, Feepay should be protecting its sellers and finding ways to keep their privacy. When I worked for the feds, there was always a work around stupid laws like this, so why doesn't Feepay find a way? Oh wait, they are too busy laying off folks right now to pump their stock up (and hurt the economy with more unpaid workers), good bye to sticking up for their loyal, hard working, sellers (and their loyal work force)........................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@logger7 said:

People are crazy now a days. If you tick off one of the loonies someone could now mail you a pipe bomb or stalk you. Although unlikely, my professional experiences have always taught me to never under estimate how insane some people are. It is estimated that 0.5% to 3.5% of the general public have antisocial personality disorder (I.e. these are your sociopaths/psychopaths). You probably even have a few in your hometown. It’s a chilling thought indeed. Great Collections and the other auction houses look better and better by the moment.

Many of those psychopaths are always on the highway at the same time as I am....

looks like many should be qualified for exceptions:

And once you reach $20,000 in annual eBay revenue, we're required to include your name (or company name) and full physical address in purchase confirmation emails and order details, but there are some exceptions.

Are there exceptions to sharing my information?
    There are two exceptions to sharing your full physical address for the INFORM Consumers Act:

1) If your address is your residential address, only your state and country will be shown.

2) If you use a different address for product returns, then that return address will be displayed.

@spacehayduke said:
    HWhen I worked for the feds, there was always a work around stupid laws like this, so why doesn't Feepay find a way?

A work around? What could possibly go wrong?

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

"Some say..."?

Hmm.... There is always ways around a lack of privacy laws, Feepay should be protecting its sellers and finding ways to keep their privacy. When I worked for the feds, there was always a work around stupid laws like this, so why doesn't Feepay find a way? Oh wait, they are too busy laying off folks right now to pump their stock up (and hurt the economy with more unpaid workers), good bye to sticking up for their loyal, hard working, sellers (and their loyal work force)........................

You MUST be kidding. Why didn't eBay find a work around for a law aimed directly at "internet marketplaces"? Idk. Maybe jail and fines weren't appealing.

Since it's tax season, could you share your work around for income taxes?

I know you hate eBay, but there's no reason to engage in falsehoods to spread the hatred. Ebay spends millions fighting marketplace laws because they are unfunded liabilities forced on them to comply. They spent billions fighting internet taxes prior to the Wayfair ruling. It is simply an outright lie to say or imply otherwise. In what universe do you think ebay WANTS to do this? If costs them money to comply and may cost them business by those who don't wish to comply.

@djm said:

@djm said:

@PerryHall said:

There’s not even a small chance this is how they would implement it because their legal team would never allow it. When it comes to regulatory compliance, they aren’t going to rely on users to self report whether something is new.

I mostly agree but there are times that eBay relies on category or listing parameters as identifying criteria.

@jmlanzaf said:

I mostly agree but there are times that eBay relies on category or listing parameters as identifying criteria.

In some categories, there are already options to specify "new" and "used". I don't imagine it would be too hard to make it a requirement to choose one or the other in order to list something for sale.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a link to the podcast mentioned? I can't find it on ebay's site. I keep getting either ACCESS DENIED messages or a list of other podcasts.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

In some categories, there are already options to specify "new" and "used". I don't imagine it would be too hard to make it a requirement to choose one or the other in order to list something for sale.

Do you think eBay’s lawyers are going to trust their company’s compliance with the new law to users self selecting new or used? Why would anyone check “New” knowing their detail will be released?

While they are at it, maybe they can add a feature where users can self select if they want to pay sales tax.

edited February 28, 2023 12:20PM

Do you think eBay’s lawyers are going to trust their company’s compliance with the new law to users self selecting new or used?

I don't know.

Why would anyone check “New” knowing their detail will be released?

Do you think people selling new stuff will check "Used" instead? Besides, my address is printed on every invoice I send now and the plan is to only show state and country for home addresses. That info is already visible to everybody in the world in your listings unless you're not being honest about the item location when you list something for sale.

@MasonG said:

Do you think eBay’s lawyers are going to trust their company’s compliance with the new law to users self selecting new or used?

I don't know.

Why would anyone check “New” knowing their detail will be released?

Do you think people selling new stuff will check "Used" instead? Besides, my address is printed on every invoice I send now and the plan is to only show state and country for home addresses. That info is already visible to everybody in the world in your listings unless you're not being honest about the item location when you list something for sale.

In categories where the distinction between new and used is not meaningful to value and privacy is important such as coins, I would expect sellers to mark used even if the product is new.

For example, are sealed US Mint products (e.g. 2023 ASE) new or used? Which box do you think a part time reseller would want to check?

For other categories where new vs. used is important to value (e.g. car parts) and privacy concerns are minimal, I would expect sellers to check the appropriate box.

Why are you printing your home address on every invoice? I have a PO Box that I use for returns. I’m sure a motivated criminal could still track me down, but I’m not going to make it easier by giving out my home address to every customer.

In categories where the distinction between new and used is not meaningful to value and privacy is important such as coins, I would expect sellers to mark used even if the product is new.

For example, are sealed US Mint products (e.g. 2023 ASE) new or used? Which box do you think a part time reseller would want to check?

I don't know. I don't sell stuff like that so I haven't given it much thought.

Why are you printing your home address on every invoice? I have a PO Box that I use for returns. I’m sure a motivated criminal could still track me down, but I’m not going to make it easier by giving out my home address to every customer.

I'm not printing my home address, I use a PO box and that's what is printed. Sorry for not being clear about that. Since the proposed policy states:

If your address is your residential address, only your state and country will be shown.
    If you use a different address for product returns, then that return address will be displayed.

I'm not overly concerned about buyers seeing it. After all (as I noted before), more than that (my city, along with state and country) is already shown to everybody in the world in my listings.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I think “new” in this context refers to the chronicity of the listing and not item condition.

@cameonut2011 said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I think “new” in this context refers to the chronicity of the listing and not item condition.

I don't know...

From Durbin, Cassidy INFORM Consumers Act Included In FY23 Omnibus Funding Bill Press Release:

It would direct online retail marketplaces that include third-party sellers of consumer products to verify the identity of “high-volume third-party sellers,” which will help deter the online sale of counterfeit goods by anonymous sellers and prevent organized retail crime rings from stealing items from stores to resell those items in bulk online.

@MasonG said:

Besides, my address is printed on every invoice I send now and the plan is to only show state and country for home addresses. That info is already visible to everybody in the world in your listings unless you're not being honest about the item location when you list something for sale.

If this is true, then nothing changes. Why is this thread here then?

edited February 28, 2023 5:53PM

@jmlanzaf said:

I know you hate eBay, but there's no reason to engage in falsehoods to spread the hatred. Ebay spends millions fighting marketplace laws because they are unfunded liabilities forced on them to comply. They spent billions fighting internet taxes prior to the Wayfair ruling. It is simply an outright lie to say or imply otherwise. In what universe do you think ebay WANTS to do this? If costs them money to comply and may cost them business by those who don't wish to comply.

I don't really hate ebay, but I don't like the fact that they marginalize both buyers and sellers in a way that has reduced the quality in numismatic offerings since I have been a member on ebay (20 years). Sure it is not easy to do what they do and have an online marketplace. But their customer service, the few times I have needed it in over 700 transactions, is atrocious. Their fees are simply too high. But this is off topic.

So a law comes in that states that sellers must provide an address. So a work around is already in place? @MasonG states that all one will have to provide is state and country. If this correct? If so, nothing changes and that is the work around.

Best, SH

@spacehayduke said:

@MasonG said:

Besides, my address is printed on every invoice I send now and the plan is to only show state and country for home addresses. That info is already visible to everybody in the world in your listings unless you're not being honest about the item location when you list something for sale.

If this is true, then nothing changes. Why is this thread here then?

Don't know, I didn't start it.

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be nice to see if the coin you like on ebay is being sold from a actual brick and mortar. Instead of seeing the seller's name or store as "jpudhw."

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

@Cranium_Basher73 said:
    Be nice to see if the coin you like on ebay is being sold from a actual brick and mortar. Instead of seeing the seller's name or store as "jpudhw."

That's not what is supposed to happen. The contact info is going to buyers in purchase confirmation emails and order details, not to people browsing listings.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay never stops giving me reasons I’m glad I quit eBay years ago.

@JimTyler said:

You mean Congress. I can't believe anyone is blaming ebay for this.

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

You mean Congress. I can't believe anyone is blaming ebay for this.

You can't? I can.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will depend on your perspective how big of an issue.

Lets see what the exception criteria are and how ebay sets up the process before we go too far one way or the other.
    It will chase some decent sellers, but it will also clean some garbage.

Ebay is still the most exposure, most open, easy level playing field platform available. And that is why they do a ton of business.

ttt - now that the new INFORM Consumers Act is active, have any of you ebay sellers had issues with your physical address being disclosed by ebay? Or did the exception criteria work?

Best, SH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file